Homeworld: Armada

By Foba, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

15 minutes ago, SomeKittens said:

Multibeam (and I think the Ion Array) was at 0.25mm, Mothership at 0.18. Now that I'm a bit more dialed in, I'm printing at 0.10 (max resolution for the Mini). Here's my current print (Taidani Destroyer), using MeshMixer for supports instead of Cura (will post real pictures tonight when I get home):

Regretting not using a raft here, used it for a few D&D Minis and it worked well there.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 9.28.20 AM.png

Looking Good :D

Finished! Best one yet. Used Meshmixer for the supports, Cura for the slicing. Still have some retraction quirks, but I like MM's supports. Fit onto the Armada stand with some difficulty, but I didn't need to cut out or sand anything.

Added photos to the Google Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xvBGfxuM239Pq1dX2

2 hours ago, SomeKittens said:

Finished! Best one yet. Used Meshmixer for the supports, Cura for the slicing. Still have some retraction quirks, but I like MM's supports. Fit onto the Armada stand with some difficulty, but I didn't need to cut out or sand anything.

Added photos to the Google Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xvBGfxuM239Pq1dX2

Nice one :D a little bit of cleanup, a fresh coat of paint, a unit card and its good to go blasting other ships to bits on the glorious field of battle :P

Scale-wise, how are you adjusting these? The Taiidani Destroyer looks puny compared to even the VSD (though I know Armada uses an adjustable scale).

EDIT: Huh, looks like the TD is 235 metres compared to the VSD I's 900 Metres. TIL.

http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Destroyer_(Taiidan)

Edited by SomeKittens
56 minutes ago, SomeKittens said:
57 minutes ago, SomeKittens said:

Scale-wise, how are you adjusting these? The Taiidani Destroyer looks puny compared to even the VSD (though I know Armada uses an adjustable scale).

EDIT: Huh, looks like the TD is 235 metres compared to the VSD I's 900 Metres. TIL.

http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Destroyer_(Taiidan)

Jep, homeworld ships are a lots smaller than SW counterparts.

I started with the biggest ones, thinking of a rough scale based on the Victory, the worked my way down from there, class for class. The destroyer is a bit of a misfit i guess. Size wise the destroyers are a bit of an eyesore for me too. :P

On 2/5/2018 at 10:37 AM, Foba said:

Here is a little sneak peek of the cards I've been working on, hope you like it :P Any more help with upgrades and titles appreciated :D

Now Workin' :D

ubGacBO.jpg

DhUByjh.jpg

fRuTdyV.jpg

yHyWBdr.jpg

1ouBpaB.jpg

q6Eiexj.jpg

1v4Vwqk.jpg

aIpWP9E.jpg

4yI708g.jpg

iAi5VrY.jpg

YXRGfBQ.jpg

KAtOdfl.jpg

kKCel1c.jpg

qwXVNzn.jpg

sOSVF4w.jpg

Seeing these makes me so happy!

Some questions for you:

1.) where did you get the 3D models you are printing out?

2.) Is there any kind of "weapon mapping" you used to translate armament in Homeworld to Armada? Eg frigate ion cannon gives you 1 red, 1 blue, 1 black. Destroyer ion cannon gives you 2/2/2?

3.) How did you assign defense tokens? I ask only because the Turanic Ion Array frigate was slow as all get out if I remember, so Evade is an interesting choice

3 hours ago, FortyInRed said:

Some questions for you:

2.) Is there any kind of "weapon mapping" you used to translate armament in Homeworld to Armada? Eg frigate ion cannon gives you 1 red, 1 blue, 1 black. Destroyer ion cannon gives you 2/2/2?

3.) How did you assign defense tokens? I ask only because the Turanic Ion Array frigate was slow as all get out if I remember, so Evade is an interesting choice

Great questions,

1. https://www.models-resource.com/pc_computer/homeworld/ The base models, modified to work with the game. Link to the modified files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739820 .

2.Not really, only thing I really got from the games where the frigates with ion cannons only fires foreward. The stats are, I hope, balanced against eachother. Turanics and kadesh are allarounders having so few ships, so they will have more abilitys with corvettes in general. Though they are generally a little bit more expensive.

Kushans, Taiidans, vaygr and higaarans have different design philosofies. Kushans are bulky with hitpoints, Taiidan have a little better punch, vaygr have speed and hiigarans are allarounders.

3. Well... :rolleyes: honestly I wasn't really creative with the defence tokens. Almost all vessles in a class have the same, regardless of race :P

12 hours ago, FortyInRed said:

Some questions for you:

I seem to have given a bit more thought on the frigates, as they have a bit more varied defense token use :D

Comparison of Ion Frigates:

JakM9Ke.jpg

GCfQSjB.jpg

QKxsHSe.jpg

cOWhaUs.jpg

6kKNJhj.jpg

Managed to find two mistakes, ion array and MBF had zero clicks at speed 1, now corrected :D

As you can see there's a bit of difference

Ever seen a hipster Heavy Cruiser before? (Screwed up print settings, agh)

Liking the ship cards so far, but it's clear that Homeworld's dominance of forward-facing Ion Beams makes it difficult to engage anything that can slip around to the sides/rear. Point cost feels alright to me, given that limitation, but I think they need more maneuverability to find time on the field.

MVIMG_20180209_124128.jpg

7 hours ago, SomeKittens said:

Ever seen a hipster Heavy Cruiser before? (Screwed up print settings, agh)

Liking the ship cards so far, but it's clear that Homeworld's dominance of forward-facing Ion Beams makes it difficult to engage anything that can slip around to the sides/rear. Point cost feels alright to me, given that limitation, but I think they need more maneuverability to find time on the field.

MVIMG_20180209_124128.jpg

****, hate when prints fail :(

Well yes, ion cannons are limited, thats why you need to outsmart your opponent. :D And you dont field a fleet comprising only of ICF's , you need someting to stop the enemy from moving. Salvage corvettes and the bandit class fill these roles, stopping enemy ships from slipping around you :P If there is anything I learned from my demogame with my friend, its the effektiveness of salvagers. :D

But yes, i might increase speed, I need to run some playtests first. I haven't had the opportunity to do so in a while, as my friends been sick or otherwise occupied :(

Ah, yes, hadn't thought about the Salvage keyword. Now *that* leads to some ionic fun. And it wouldn't be Homeworld without salvage corvettes. Though Marine Frigates (as much as I disliked them) might work better in Armada.

Reprinted the HC, before removing the supports it looks like an infested HC from Cata Emergence. Just have to do the Missile Destroyer to have the complete set. Goes to show just how influential the salvager was, I played Kushan, but anything larger than a corvette was stolen lovingly borrowed.

r9KwHZP.jpg

(I can only upload 30kb? What?!?)

3 hours ago, SomeKittens said:

Ah, yes, hadn't thought about the Salvage keyword. Now *that* leads to some ionic fun. And it wouldn't be Homeworld without salvage corvettes. Though Marine Frigates (as much as I disliked them) might work better in Armada.

Reprinted the HC, before removing the supports it looks like an infested HC from Cata Emergence. Just have to do the Missile Destroyer to have the complete set. Goes to show just how influential the salvager was, I played Kushan, but anything larger than a corvette was stolen lovingly borrowed.

r9KwHZP.jpg

(I can only upload 30kb? What?!?)

Yep, don't forget them :D A little bit of cleanup and you'r golden :D yep, I noticed the same, upload to imgur and post direkt link, the instructions are early in the thread :D

Somehow the Armada modding community as a whole needs to find a solution for universes without shields. B5, Homeworld, Humans in Halo, New BSG, Macross, sbc yamato... quite a few high profile universes are lacking the myth of forcefields now.

Really redirect is the only defense token impacted and without shields, unit health is highly suceptible to critical effects on first hits. Suggestions?

At least I can pitch an idea for dfg frigates: take the wording for Jan ors, except friendly ships within 1-5 can use the frigates' redirect and brace tokens.

49 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Somehow the Armada modding community as a whole needs to find a solution for universes without shields. B5, Homeworld, Humans in Halo, New BSG, Macross, sbc yamato... quite a few high profile universes are lacking the myth of forcefields now.

Really redirect is the only defense token impacted and without shields, unit health is highly suceptible to critical effects on first hits. Suggestions?

For me, my baseline was super simple ... But won't be to all people's tastes...

Change the words "Shields" to "Ablative Hull Plates" and "Redirect" to "Defensive Maneuver", and "Recover Shields" to "Damage Control".... and you're pretty well there.

5 hours ago, Norsehound said:

At least I can pitch an idea for dfg frigates: take the wording for Jan ors, except friendly ships within 1-5 can use the frigates' redirect and brace tokens.

Intresting suggestion, I was thinking along the lines of friendlies within 1-3 being classed as obstructed, but this is an intresting ability to have. The good thing is that these will be upgrades, so depending on point cost you can choose either one :D

5 hours ago, Norsehound said:

Or we can substitute shields with tructural integrity, polarised armour or just plain armour plates. Pretty much anything that is vague enough to be used. For this i was useing plain armour, but arguably its a bit boring :D

Polarized armor... ugh... not a fan. "Polarize the hull plating" in Star Trek: Enterprise was a shorthand way of saying "raise shields" without actually saying Shields. Lazy, terrible writing.

I would wish a more elegant, creative solution. Let's take shields out of the equation and just say every ship just has a hull value. What else can be done? Double braces with a single contain for the natural hull? New defensive retrofits that deal only with hull amounts? Bring down all the native weaponry so ships can survive without shields? Make contains naturally stop critical effects?

Even if you keep shields as outer armor and hull as "core structure", take redirect defense tokens out as a class, because it doesn't make sense in the context of immobile armor. Design upgrade cards and mechanics with that mentality in mind. Make the mod stand out! If we're already taking liberties with the design, why stop at just changing stats?

26 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Polarized armor... ugh... not a fan. "Polarize the hull plating" in Star Trek: Enterprise was a shorthand way of saying "raise shields" without actually saying Shields. Lazy, terrible writing.

I would wish a more elegant, creative solution. Let's take shields out of the equation and just say every ship just has a hull value. What else can be done? Double braces with a single contain for the natural hull? New defensive retrofits that deal only with hull amounts? Bring down all the native weaponry so ships can survive without shields? Make contains naturally stop critical effects?

Even if you keep shields as outer armor and hull as "core structure", take redirect defense tokens out as a class, because it doesn't make sense in the context of immobile armor. Design upgrade cards and mechanics with that mentality in mind. Make the mod stand out! If we're already taking liberties with the design, why stop at just changing stats?

I have been toying with the idea of having the shields replaced by armour, that once damaged,cannot be repaired. Only engineering does is repair "main hull". This would mean you would have at least some support frigates in your fleet to rapair them. Only thing is, hiigarans and vaygr don't possess these, so something to compensate for this would have to be implemented :D hiigarans have a dfg, and vaygr have a command corvette, giving them a slight compensation, but not enough in my mind :rolleyes:

On 2/14/2018 at 3:17 AM, Foba said:

I have been toying with the idea of having the shields replaced by armour, that once damaged,cannot be repaired. Only engineering does is repair "main hull". This would mean you would have at least some support frigates in your fleet to rapair them. Only thing is, hiigarans and vaygr don't possess these, so something to compensate for this would have to be implemented :D hiigarans have a dfg, and vaygr have a command corvette, giving them a slight compensation, but not enough in my mind :rolleyes:

To weigh in on the "what do we do with shields and repair" debate, my thought is that shields are replaced in-game with ablative armor. This concept exists in Homeworld and was mentioned directly in the HW 1 Manual. A ship may use repair only to recover "armor" and must use a support ship (Support Frigate or Resource Collector, see more below) to recover hull.

I think that type of a balance would be inline with what we saw in the Homeworld games in that you had to keep support ships around in any kind of battle situation.

One approach would be to introduce resource collectors as a squadron for Hiigaran/Vaygr with the ability to repair/remove damage cards.

So taking a step back:

• Kushan & Taiidan capture with squadron (Salvage Corvette) and repair with a frigate (Support Frigate).
  • Hiigaran & Vaygr capture with a frigate (Marine Frigate and Infiltrator Frigate) and repair with a squadron (Resource Collector).

I think this has a nice symmetry to it.

Naturally, this begs the question "what do we do with Turanic and Kadeshi?".

The Fuel Pod (Frigate) strikes me as a good repair candidate for the Kadeshi, but nothing comes to mind clearly for the Turanic. However, this question aside, I don't think either Kadeshi or Turanic would be competitive with any of the other four "main" races as is, so perhaps you look at combining them?

Combined, a "Pirate faction" of Turanic and Kadeshi could be a pretty nasty combo. Consider...

I always saw the Kadeshi Needleship as something closer to a Mothership/Heavy Cruiser hybrid whereas the Turanic Lord Carrier as a Destroyer/Carrier hybrid. With those two ships as Super Capitals, and a trio of Frigates (Ion Array for anti-cap, Multibeam for anti-fighter, Fuel Pod for support), they'd stand a chance against the other factions with their plethora of fighters/corvettes.

The problem I have with taking the shields completely out and just putting everything on the hull, means you're basically removing one of the differential mechanics between Armada and X-Wing, and in fact, that's a defining mechanic of the system (to me)... That is, each zone takes damage differently...

It "cheapens" the system a little... Same as if, for example, we went down to only 2 types of Attack Dice... Or one... It comes across to me as a "why bother and not just use a different system..." sort of thought...

Even if things are based purely on hull - I'm all for Ablatives - certain amount that can be stripped off before damaging the "Core" components of a ship... Ships would have those (even if just for meteorites and space dust)... Cheap sections that are broken off as damaged and replaced for almost no time and cost afterwards... To save the critical components.

Even if that means using the current shield mechanics without the ability to move or repair them...

Agreed, and I think that's why you reenvision shields, not remove them. Ablative armor could work in much the same way except for the ability to move armor around. Otherwise it's a pretty close swap, right?

Agree on your points about dice. Having all three gives us variety.

Intresting suggestions, the I really like the idea of turanics and kadeshis teaming up :D

One fast Question, what do you think of the idea of Turrets?

one shot stationary gun emplacements, say to be able to be fielded as an upgrade to a carrier for additional firepower? ยจ

Anti-squad version and Anti-ship version?

One fast update:

Kushans Painted (horribly), started to work with the Taiidan now, baselayer done.

Started working with the last faction, The Somtaaw.

Had to learn how to use blender to be able to work on the files, as tinkercad had a interesting concept of not loading in most of the files correctly. Dunno if the files are corrupted or whatnot. Anyway, The Stl:s are done, and now printing to see if they are any good. Also starting to work on the stats and unit cards.