New Tournament Kits

By Mon no Oni, in L5R LCG: Organized Play

I'm still a little confused here. If you have a small player base, charge a little more per player for entry - everyone will be getting a bunch of prize support anyway, so it's certainly worth it to those taking part.

Also, your store could buy instead a couple of reinforcement kits. Each supports 8 players, and it the store would need just to charge 2€ per player/kit. You'd be missing some of the prize support, but you get something....

On the other hand, the point of organized play is to both retain and increase number of players. If there is really no way the game might grow in your store, no way you can add new players to your local community; there is no incentive either for FFG to continue investing on you, so to speak... in the end it is a business and it should work on your mutual benefit.

Their intent for stores needing a smaller kit is to order just the reinforcement kits, which are limited extensions of prize support. I believe it grants 8 of the top-32 cards, 1 copy of each of the top 4 cards, and one set of the faction-specific extended arts. I don't think it's really enough, but I guess it's a little something you can use to promote if you're not able to support the full kit.

While the kits aren't intended for resale by the store, if there's a small group then players could potentially be getting 2-4 copies of some of the promos. The "everybody gets one" promos might not sell for much (then again, who knows?) but the store could charge sufficient entry fees to cover the kit cost, and players should be able to make back most or all of their entry fees by selling extra copies of promos they receive, if they wanted. Just a thought.

The risk is, as it's intended to support 3 months, that local interest in game will start fading away and store won't be able to gather enoug people to organize tourneys fe after month or one and half even if start was promising. FFG/Asmodee is totally unpredictable now becasue they're making huge changes in their LCG model. Fe i know one play group that totally lost interest in L5R atfer 6 packs / 6 weeks announcement and they stayed with AGoT.

Edited by kempy