Game is Officially Dead...

By KrisWall, in Star Wars: The Card Game

1 hour ago, selderane said:

Thanks but that's not for me. I'm not keenly interested in fan-made cards. Essentially it bifurcates the game: the official releases and the game with fan releases. What then with players who don't want to mess with fan cards? They're at a disadvantage because they want to stick to official cards? And who says what fan cards are more official than others?

By all means have fun with that stuff, but the game is dead.

It's not like there aren't multiple instances of fan communities continuing games for long after they've been officially discontinued. Here's a few examples, including 2 previous Star Wars card games.

Star Wars CCG

Star Wars TCG

Star Trek

We can Also think that now it is ready. SW Lcg did have good run and there Are a lot of cards in there.

one problem is that there Are so Many SW games around that eats somewhat same customers, so it was not so big surprice. There is only one Lotr living game at this moment, there is only one Netrunner living game at this moment, there Are 5-6? SW living games at this moment...

destiny, x-win, armada, legion, imperial assault, forse avekens, destiny fo beginners... and so on games that get new content all the time... so the competition in there is really tight.

Greats news for me. I like the game but I was worried we'd reach the point where too big of a card pool would mean retiring some old ones (rotation ...) & then when you start doing so you lose some iconic Star Wars toons or vehicles in the process (unless they're rehashed into new versions ). I was also worried they'd start mixing Clone Wars stuff + new trilogy stuff in the game which in the end would have turned it into somwhat of a mess (ie, X-Wing miniatures ...). Not everyone wants to constantly keep purchasing expansions of a game. There's a reason why some niche & small card games like Star Realms or Epic Card Game have their own place at a gaming table.

This isnt "Magic the Gathering" where they can indefinately create new creatures & spells -- and balance them into a playable game --... I'm glad this is considered "finished" aka I can just meet friends with my two boxes full of cards & enjoy an afternoon of playing games, without the constant monthly purchases & retiring old cards.

I'll stick to Netrunner as my "evergoing" collectible ....

SW Card game will remain a great card game in my gaming bookshelf ;)

I still play Warhammer Invasion & enjoy every game I play!

Edited by Kallel00

I hope they still reprint some of the older sets. I'm still catching up on this one.

I played this game for a few months, it was fun. Sorry your favorite game is going by the wayside.

Why can't they still keep doing tournaments though?

58 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

I played this game for a few months, it was fun. Sorry your favorite game is going by the wayside.

Why can't they still keep doing tournaments though?

Attendance was on a steady decline year over year, at least at GenCon anyway. It's a matter of allocation of limited resources. With L5R being the new LCG hotness, and how big the GenCon event turned out to be for it (it sold out twice), it doesn't make sense to continue to provide any kind of support for the Star Wars LCG.

I am curious about what will happen with the promos they still have. The full bleed cards, Force commit cards, affiliation cards, Death Star dials, and everything that can't be repurposed for other Star Wars games.

I'm sorta interested in going to Worlds just to see if they try to dump all of that stuff there.

21 hours ago, selderane said:

Attendance was on a steady decline year over year, at least at GenCon anyway. It's a matter of allocation of limited resources. With L5R being the new LCG hotness, and how big the GenCon event turned out to be for it (it sold out twice), it doesn't make sense to continue to provide any kind of support for the Star Wars LCG.

I am curious about what will happen with the promos they still have. The full bleed cards, Force commit cards, affiliation cards, Death Star dials, and everything that can't be repurposed for other Star Wars games.

I'm sorta interested in going to Worlds just to see if they try to dump all of that stuff there.

It would be awesome if they would work with the community that plans on playing this game after the last cycle and give them this product; maybe give the stores that hosted the last regionals some love.

Wow! That stinks. I figured the merger was going to kill it. There is so much more that could be added to the game. I bought every single friggin pack. Lord how many $1,000s did I spend on it to only have it discontinued like it took a whole second to make the decision. They pumped cards out at first so fast I couldn't play the packs quick enough and I couldn't keep up with purchases, then it became a much more manageable pace, and now nothing. I would like to finish up my LoTR LCG. It's at least a coop, but it might be terminated before I can get much of it. Definitely no more collectible card games.

9 hours ago, John79 said:

Wow! That stinks. I figured the merger was going to kill it. There is so much more that could be added to the game. I bought every single friggin pack. Lord how many $1,000s did I spend on it to only have it discontinued like it took a whole second to make the decision. They pumped cards out at first so fast I couldn't play the packs quick enough and I couldn't keep up with purchases, then it became a much more manageable pace, and now nothing. I would like to finish up my LoTR LCG. It's at least a coop, but it might be terminated before I can get much of it. Definitely no more collectible card games.

To date it only cost $800 retail to get a play set of this game. If you got years of play and joy out of it, then it’s likely one of the cheapest evolving card games ever on the market.

I saw the question above...but I second the question...

There is going to be no new material, but will FFG continue to print the game? For how long?

I have the base set and most of Hoth force packs. Looking at picking up some more of the sets, but wondering how quickly I should look at doing that!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, bpasmeny said:

I saw the question above...but I second the question...

There is going to be no new material, but will FFG continue to print the game? For how long?

I have the base set and most of Hoth force packs. Looking at picking up some more of the sets, but wondering how quickly I should look at doing that!

Thanks!

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to answer that question for you. You could try asking ffg (via Twitter maybe?), but I doubt you'll get any response.

I'll answer it - they won't reprint anything: they consider there to be too much unsold product lying around for this game already.

I could be wrong though.

Well that sucks for the lovers of this game. I wanted to try it so many times. I guess Destiny is too much to compete with.

I too wish they would make an LCG with old the Decipher mechanic. All they need to do is clean up and simplify the rules, kinda like when the game started. Transition to LCG would be very easy. It would be loved the same way L5R is and have a built in community.

7 hours ago, DJRAZZ said:

Well that sucks for the lovers of this game. I wanted to try it so many times. I guess Destiny is too much to compete with.

I too wish they would make an LCG with old the Decipher mechanic. All they need to do is clean up and simplify the rules, kinda like when the game started. Transition to LCG would be very easy. It would be loved the same way L5R is and have a built in community.

I would not complain about this at all... but I certainly don't expect it.

I'll have to snap some up then. I have some of the items, will have to look at the budget and start picking away at the rest as I can.

I would love to see them reboot the lcg in the same format as lotr or arkham.

On 23/01/2018 at 11:46 AM, DJRAZZ said:

FFG will never ever remake the Decipher CCG (unless they find a way to introduce at least 8 different types of tokens to it)

21 hours ago, Handler said:

FFG will never ever remake the Decipher CCG (unless they find a way to introduce at least 8 different types of tokens to it)

And a dial. Can't be an FFG game without a dial.

Ahhh this is sad. I always liked the star wars card game and found I had a knack for understanding it. I'm the type who plays games with more people than the 1v1 that card games focus on, so it wouldn't hit the table all that much. I tried to read up on all the card packs that have been coming out in the years that I haven't been playing. Sad to see this go. If I recall, the first rotation period for tournaments was supposed to happen next year? I was looking forward to jumping back in when there was a smaller card pool for tournaments.

Edited by GroggyGolem
On 23.01.2018 at 4:46 AM, DJRAZZ said:

I don't know you really want such changes as L5R LCG and L5R CCG are totally different games. Much better comparision is transition from Netrunner CCG into Android: Netrunner LCG.

As soon as Destiny hit the market, I knew this game was now on life support. Made sure to grab the pieces I was missing for my collection while I could. I learned the hard way with Conquest that once it shuts down, so do the stock (still missing the last cycle for that game). I am sad to see this game go though. So much fun. It just never really had a solid push from FFG. At least it didn't feel like it did.

I have a the core set x2 and a few cycles but I barely used them.
I don't know... it never truly 'caught' me.

Invasion and Conquest are also quite good but 'gone'.
Lotr I have and is still going and very fun albeit despite collecting it I haven't gotten around to playing it since 2 years ago.

I have been apart of games that the Fan Base kept alive, D&D miniatures is an example. The problem that i had was it became run by a certain group of people and no matter how much i helped or wanted to help with it, they ran it and they controlled it and it was most of those guys who would WIN the games. It became like an exclusive club and a joke to me. BUT i was part of Star Wars Decipher, which we still have and those guys are great. So it really depends on how much and who is actually helping make stuff happen.