Game is Officially Dead...

By KrisWall, in Star Wars: The Card Game

Boom. Whoever had Star Was: The Card Game in the dead pool wins.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/10/promise-of-power-1/

"In addition to being the final Force Pack of the Alliances cycle, Promise of Power marks the completion of Star Wars : The Card Game."

Edited by KrisWall

A sad day indeed

What a sad...

Twist_of_fate_TCG.JPG

I was momentarily physically shaken even though I haven't played in 2 years.

Sad for those that liked it, but I never did, even though I have all of it.

My hope is that this frees up resources to design a better Star Wars LCG. The original coop game idea is very intriguing to me. A reboot of Decipher’s old system would be the most incredible thing to ever happen to gaming. Though they are probably content with Destiny, I think there’s more than enough support for a good Star Wars LCG.

To me it was the greatest LCG I have ever played. It is sad that they didn't treat it better (promotion of the game, some design problems when the game was like I play light side I win) Or maybe it was not all their fault (the delays in production, Netrunner stealing the show etc.). Maybe it was not mainstream enough mechanicwise. But the mechanics and the objective set system were what brought me into and kept me in the game.

It is sad they didn't even give it a proper farewell. Just two lines about how many expansions were produced. If you compare it to the article they gave the Call of Cthulhu LCG...

Lcgs only have one format. Co-op. After hearing this news I am done with "competitive" LCGS.

21 minutes ago, ScottGilbert25 said:

Lcgs only have one format. Co-op. After hearing this news I am done with "competitive" LCGS.

I will buy a new coop version...

“In addition to being the final Force Pack of the Alliances cycle, Promise of Power marks the completion of Star Wars : The Card Game. Over the past five years, Star Wars : The Card Game has seen five deluxe expansions and six cycles of Force Packs, ranging from the Battle of Hoth, through the pilots of the Rogue Squadron cycle, the forest battles of the Endor cycle, and the most recent changes of the Opposition and Alliances cycle. With the conclusion of the Alliances cycle, the game will be complete, and the Star Wars World Championships in May will be the final Organized Play World Championship for the game.

You can pre-order Promise of Power at your local retailer or online through our webstore today! Then, read on for more information about what you can expect to find within the last Force Pack for Star Wars : The Card Game.”

What a bunch of weasels. “By the way, we’re killing your game, but be sure to buy the last pack!”

This is sad news. I really enjoyed the design and mechanics of this game. I'll never forget the total joy when I was unexpectedly handed a free copy of the Core Set (then unreleased) when checking in at Worlds for AGoT in 2012. I played this game SO MUCH during the first couple of years. So many amazing memories of tense matches and really fun times.

12 hours ago, ScottGilbert25 said:

Wait... what? They still have Netrunner, Game of Thrones and L5R, which they have just put a lot into relaunching so is obviously going to be around for a while. This compares to Arkham Horror and... is Lord of the Rings even still being supported properly? I actually think the CO-OP ones (which I prefer) have less life in them as a continuing product, as they usually have a logical end point.

16 hours ago, ScottGilbert25 said:

I don't know about 'only', but I've played the FFG "Warhammer Quest" card game and loved it and keep looking covetously at the LOTR equivalent (albeit shying away in fear at the sheer scale of cardpool it's already reached).

A co-operative star wars equivalent would be/would have been great fun.

I think my biggest turn-off was always the mixed format. Duels or Battles or Intrigues or Space combat - I agree having a rancor attacking a star destroyer, and sneaking around "at night" when the opposition is all space ships felt weird.

Objective sets as a 'quick' deckbuilding approach I don't mind. Being given cards by [core block] is fair enough, and in theory I'd far rather do that and choose ten objectives with thematic cards with them, than pick umpty-ump cards separately. That said, that does put the unspoken responsibility to make all the cards in that set useful, and that's something that all games fail at - and without the means to replace a card in an objective set, or to 'pull' a specific card from an otherwise balanced set, it does make the developer's tools for maintaining balance much more ham-fisted.

It’s not dead yet ...

Hopefully it's death means we can get a new, better star wars card game. Star Wars Horror: The Card Game would work great, even if it means we're stuck playing rebel terrorists.

I really hope FFG can make a Star Wars Co-op LCG that's entirely story-based, like Arkham Horror LCG. Imagine the sheer amount of story you could participate in. A solo playable LCG, again, like Arkham LCG, would be incredible, in my opinion.

10 hours ago, borithan said:

is Lord of the Rings even still being supported properly?

The release of packs is slower now but still steady. A new cycle have been announced recently.

15 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I don't know about 'only', but I've played the FFG "Warhammer Quest" card game and loved it and keep looking covetously at the LOTR equivalent (albeit shying away in fear at the sheer scale of cardpool it's already reached).

I hear this a lot, but I don’t really understand.

The large cardpool of LOTR is not an issue as there is zero need to buy everything all at once. Just buy what you like, its nice.

As a coop game, it's not like you need to "remain competitive" or anything which is an issue in competitive games.

On the other hand, I guess there is still the intimidation factor of "what should I get, too many options!"

There's lots of help to buy what you want or new player buying guides for LoTR.

a nice feature if that game is , buy 1 coreset. Then for each expansion there's a deluxe and 6 adventure packs. You can just go buy what you want.

the saga expansions only require the 1 core set too.

Yes, with LotR, you can essentially experience it as a brand new game at any time. You just buy a Core Set or two and play the scenarios in the Core Set many times, until you feel that you have gotten sufficiently good at the game, have experimented with different deck types, numbers of players, etc. Then, you can by the next product that was released, and then the next, and on and on. So, you can have the full, rich, organic experience of the game's development at any time, with no pressure from a competitive meta.

The only issue I could see is if you are a new player and you are playing with someone who has the entire card pool, and their deck is constantly "outshining" yours in gameplay; that could be a little bit frustrating, for your partner to have a superstar deck and you're playing some of the more basic, low power level cards. But, even the Core Set and first cycle or two have some amazing cards that I still use constantly. I still go back and play the core set stuff regularly, and I have had the game since day one.

18 hours ago, dbmeboy said:

Thanks but that's not for me. I'm not keenly interested in fan-made cards. Essentially it bifurcates the game: the official releases and the game with fan releases. What then with players who don't want to mess with fan cards? They're at a disadvantage because they want to stick to official cards? And who says what fan cards are more official than others?

By all means have fun with that stuff, but the game is dead.

25 minutes ago, selderane said:

Thanks but that's not for me. I'm not keenly interested in fan-made cards. Essentially it bifurcates the game: the official releases and the game with fan releases. What then with players who don't want to mess with fan cards? They're at a disadvantage because they want to stick to official cards? And who says what fan cards are more official than others?

By all means have fun with that stuff, but the game is dead.

In Conquest nowadays it looks that if you're going to play fe at OCTGN you just mark you want go Apoka, BCL or official ones.

Tournaments are mostly organized by Apoka* guys so automatically all Apoka cards are legal there.

* Apoka -> http://apoka.mozello.com

Edited by kempy
5 minutes ago, kempy said:

In Conquest nowadays it looks that if you're going to play fe at OCTGN you just mark you want go Apoka, BCL or official ones.

Tournaments are mostly organized by Apoka* guys so automatically all Apoka cards are legal there.

* Apoka -> http://apoka.mozello.com

Cool. I'm glad people are having fun. I suppose things would be easier to control in an online environment. Me? I stick to in-person. I suppose if things were agreed to in advance that would be fine.

Eh, maybe this is just my contrarian grumpy side showing...

13 minutes ago, selderane said:

Cool. I'm glad people are having fun. I suppose things would be easier to control in an online environment. Me? I stick to in-person. I suppose if things were agreed to in advance that would be fine.

Online only? https://www.facebook.com/events/557990557879569/ :)

What's great about fe Apoka they just made templates to use with any online print-on-demand site, so you can just order and print all expansions for yourself. Quality of printing is nice.

http://apoka.mozello.com/cards/print--play/

Edited by kempy