Open Groups!

By Godbeardman, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Hey all!

What are your favourite Imperial units that you take with you wherever you go? Do you take Royal Guards to Hoth? Is there a lot of sand in that AT-ST?

hired guns.

I think that is the only squad that visited entire galaxy in my games.

1 hour ago, Jarema said:

hired guns.

I think that is the only squad that visited entire galaxy in my games.

With Fenn around imperial can't avoid Hired Guns!!! A must have pack just because of that!

If there are droids, the Jawa Scavenger . Perhaps Dewback Rider . Otherwise the right tool for the job (Weequay Pirates against white die).

I try to play thematically, usually.

For instance, in our Jabba's Realm campaign so far, two side missions were the one for BT-1/0-0-0 and Leia. For the Tarkin Initiative one, I used a lot of the more security-like stuff- Riot Troopers, Sentry Droids, and ISB Agents. For the Leia one, it's the only snow mission we've done, so I brought in a lot of armor- an AT-ST chased them up the mountain, and a tank met them at the top (probably not the best strategy, but it was fun!)

Sometimes I'm more strategic. One mission was all about speed- big map full of impassable terrain, where movement points could also be used to fulfill the objective. For that, I used lots of fast stuff, like Jet troopers and dewback rider.

Otherwise, I'd say my favorite open group is a Nexu. Brutal and fast, and very affordable.

Depends on my imperial class deck and also the heroes, but generally I always bring Weequays or regular HKs (rerolling the defense die is brutal), and elite jet troopers, but I think I might be using riot troopers in most of my future campaigns now.

Hired Guns are a firm favourite, and I got a ton of use out of E-Jets with Armoured Division (from Sorin's agenda deck) so I could deploy them every mission for 4 threat. Weequays are good against white dice heroes. Stormtroopers shouldn't be underestimated either, but you usually get them from the mission.

I will always be a champion of the elite ISB, but I usually only run them with the black ops deck.

Haven't played as an imperial long, but with technical support from the TS deck, how do you say no to healing, focusing, condition-discarding, mobile, speedy, 3 die, 3-threat, probe droids? ?

Edited by TeethAlmighty

Played only with units available through Return to Hoth, and was not that great of an imperial player - but my favorites were HK Assassin droids and Nexu. Those were my bread and butter. My rebel opponents really started to hate the Nexu - they became priority 1 for elimination.

2 hours ago, adamjf1 said:

Played only with units available through Return to Hoth, and was not that great of an imperial player - but my favorites were HK Assassin droids and Nexu. Those were my bread and butter.

Curious, how did you keep the HK's alive once the heroes powered up?

I try to only use up to what campaign we are on so right now up to jabbas realm would be nexu, probe droid and hired guns for bang for your buck. Storm troopers for consistency with their re roll, watch blast though. Weequays for white die as already stated and e jets are awesome for their mobility.

elite stormies are still the best pound for pound unit in the game, especially if you are running a deck with attachments. Unless your heroes have Obi-wan, he eats stormies alive.

i also think greedo is just a solid choice for 3 threat. He always is worh his cost.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:41 PM, TeethAlmighty said:

Curious, how did you keep the HK's alive once the heroes powered up?

I didn't keep anything alive once the heroes powered up - stupid broken Verena.

eRiots, solid health, good defense and damage that isn't embarrassing (even got a re-roll!)

Also, weaken is a great effect to slap on a hero start of round.

Although, eSentries are on the rise now.

I think as the IP you make a gradual progression with open groups, where you begin by purchasing figures that can survive a Rebel activation so that they get to act, and then later in the campaign when the Rebels basically delete anything they attack, you end up with cheaper and weaker figures, but more of them, so that some are always left.

my group are getting annoyed at the sentry droids showing up. and darth maul in my nemesis deck

"Only Maul now."