Huge Ships vs Asteroids

By Darth Meanie, in X-Wing Epic Play

Overlapping Obstacles When a huge ship executes a maneuver and the final position of one of its sections overlaps one or more obstacle tokens, the huge ship is dealt one faceup Damage card. Draw this Damage card from the Damage deck that corresponds to the affected section. If both sections overlap, the opposing player chooses which section suffers the damage. Obstacles do not cause a huge ship to skip its “Perform Action” step. All obstacle tokens that are overlapped by a huge ship are immediately removed from the play area. The huge ship suffers these effects when one of its sections overlaps.

So, if a little ship hits an asteroid, it loses an action and maybe takes damage.

If a Huge ship hits a little ship it maybe takes damage.

But if a Huge ship hits a asteroid IT AUTOMATICALLY TAKES A CRIT THAT BYPASSES SHIELDS.

I mean, OK, it gives Needa his special ability, but doesn't this seem a little harsh?

It's just like in the movies! :D

I think it's fine. It prevents huge ships from being 'mine sweepers' and just rolling over all the rocks to clear the field. With the current rule, I can look at the field and be pretty confident where my opponent's huge ship can and cannot go, but they can really surprise me if they want to jump through an asteroid field to chase me. If asteroids were changed to maybe causing damage, huge ships would be more willing to run over them, no problem, and it defeats their purpose as obstacles.

2 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

It's just like in the movies! :D

HA!!

Asteroids didn't concern Vader.

He must have very comprehensive starship insurance. . .

it also removes said obstacle from the board.

small/large ships just grazed the rock, but the huge ship obliterated it with their face. Yeah, its gonna hurt.

Looks right to me

*insert googly eyes Steve buscemi*

But yeah the difference is huge ships hit hard enough to vaporize obstacles

59 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

it also removes said obstacle from the board.

small/large ships just grazed the rock, but the huge ship obliterated it with their face. Yeah, its gonna hurt.

18 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

But yeah the difference is huge ships hit hard enough to vaporize obstacles

But, they gots armour!

Ah well, I like Imperials. Sounds like Needa is going to be on all my builds.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Or you could just not crash into asteroids... I mean they're stationary and you can turn lol.

Also I'm now imagining you as zapp branigan and needa as your kif

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

HA!!

Asteroids didn't concern Vader.

He must have very comprehensive starship insurance. . .

Considering we saw him lose multiple ISDs at a total loss, yeah his insurance must be awesome.

His premiums are about to be another story....

1 hour ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

Or you could just not crash into asteroids... I mean they're stationary and you can turn lol.

Also I'm now imagining you as zapp branigan and needa as your kif

That's right!! And I'll be issuing the new Epic FAQ where the asteroids turn, not me!! :

OHU18y4OKvHWaou_ZfHRTL69Tk6hZb8GqAfQeud9

Edited by Darth Meanie
11 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

So, if a little ship hits an asteroid, it loses an action and maybe takes damage.

If a Huge ship hits a little ship it maybe takes damage.

But if a Huge ship hits a asteroid IT AUTOMATICALLY TAKES A CRIT THAT BYPASSES SHIELDS.

I mean, OK, it gives Needa his special ability, but doesn't this seem a little harsh?

It also removes the obstacle token.

I remember our first epic game (before wave 5) to add something more than just asteroids we put in those satellite obstacle tokens in the core set that never get used. We house ruled them to when ever they overlapped ship takes 1 ion token and is damaged on a <hit> then it is removed. There was no Imperial huge ships yet so having that option allows Imperials to clear some obstacles while rebels can clear all.

And this is why you have a couple of cheap bombers with Siesmic Torpedoes to 'clear the road'.....

17 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

And this is why you have a couple of cheap bombers with Siesmic Torpedoes to 'clear the road'.....

Or wait for the fore section of the raider to inevitably get crippled and then you got a dredge. ;)