Expansion ideas?

By Ken on Cape, in Twilight Imperium

The game is really great as is, so I don't think the first expansion should add a lot of fluff. I think it would be better spent expanding upon what we currently have. I would like to see some of the most popular features from 3rd edition return, however.

1. Give us more system tiles, public objectives, secret objectives, and one more racial tech per race. Additional variety would really help future proof the game. I'm not opposed to more actions and political cards, but the decks for those are really great as is.

2. Give us the 7 - 8 player option. This is easy as it only requires more plastic and more systems from above.

3. Give us some form of Distant Suns. I would really love to see this return to a 4X game and give players more random elements on the board to adapt to.

4. Add in Leaders (this just adds some additonal flavor and complexity for those that want it)

The following are things I always found cool, but fiddly and unneeded. They would be perfect for a second expansion that targets people that want more variety:

Mechs and Shock Troops

Politicians

Space Mines

Colonies

Mercenaries

On 3/18/2019 at 8:51 PM, Metlore said:

The game is really great as is, so I don't think the first expansion should add a lot of fluff. I think it would be better spent expanding upon what we currently have. I would like to see some of the most popular features from 3rd edition return, however.

1. Give us more system tiles, public objectives, secret objectives, and one more racial tech per race. Additional variety would really help future proof the game. I'm not opposed to more actions and political cards, but the decks for those are really great as is.

2. Give us the 7 - 8 player option. This is easy as it only requires more plastic and more systems from above.

3. Give us some form of Distant Suns. I would really love to see this return to a 4X game and give players more random elements on the board to adapt to.

4. Add in Leaders (this just adds some additonal flavor and complexity for those that want it)

The following are things I always found cool, but fiddly and unneeded. They would be perfect for a second expansion that targets people that want more variety:

Mechs and Shock Troops

Politicians

Space Mines

Colonies

Mercenaries

So you just repeated stuff from TI3. Stuff which was removed because it was not working as it should.
Mines are most terrible **** in TI3. Literally 20% chances to destroy any ship? It was making turtle a very solid strategy.
Dyplomatic leader on a planet was making it bassicaly unavaible for other players. Unless you had unexpected action in the hand.
Shock troops - another small rule to remember. Not viable.
Tanks - these needs serious rebuild. Either 1 rollx6 or remove sustain damage. 2 tanks were able to destroy literally everything.
Rest are OK, but as i said. I dont want 1 to 1 transfer from TI3. It has to be reworked.

Quite a few good suggestions, hope FFG reads these.

I've only played TI4, but I have so about 30 times, so I know 'this' game quite well I think.

Maybe bring things from TI3/TI3 expansions, but it might be best to start with a clean slate and just look at what this game is, and what it could use.

I think an alternative to the Agenda phase would be great, like a Galactic War instead, so instead of Peace there's War and perhaps players are forced to form alliances with or against the player who's taken Mecatol, that would be fun.

A more balanced set of objectives, I'm looking at you 'gain 1 vp for 2 in 2 colours' then 'gain 2 vp for 3 in 3 colours' stuff like that, my memory may be slightly off on that, but examples where the 2nd stage objectives are relatively easier for their worth than the first stage. And a way to get more secret objectives, like once you've scored 3 you're able to draw more cards then, played many a game where I've been stuck at 8 or 9 points having scored all 3 of my secrets and the publics are not feasible, like 3 tech planets.

More cards, technologies, methods to de-activate systems, whole rounds are spend moving from one side of the board to another, if there was a heap of action cards that let players deactivate a system it would improve game time.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:26 AM, Conza89 said:

Quite a few good suggestions, hope FFG reads these.

I've only played TI4, but I have so about 30 times, so I know 'this' game quite well I think.

Maybe bring things from TI3/TI3 expansions, but it might be best to start with a clean slate and just look at what this game is, and what it could use.

I think an alternative to the Agenda phase would be great, like a Galactic War instead, so instead of Peace there's War and perhaps players are forced to form alliances with or against the player who's taken Mecatol, that would be fun.

A more balanced set of objectives, I'm looking at you 'gain 1 vp for 2 in 2 colours' then 'gain 2 vp for 3 in 3 colours' stuff like that, my memory may be slightly off on that, but examples where the 2nd stage objectives are relatively easier for their worth than the first stage. And a way to get more secret objectives, like once you've scored 3 you're able to draw more cards then, played many a game where I've been stuck at 8 or 9 points having scored all 3 of my secrets and the publics are not feasible, like 3 tech planets.

More cards, technologies, methods to de-activate systems, whole rounds are spend moving from one side of the board to another, if there was a heap of action cards that let players deactivate a system it would improve game time.

There was a way to deactivate system. Old system jamming was forcing all other players to place token in a system. But this had to be done in strategy phase.

What game is missing are 3 VP objectives, "I win the game" objective, galactic council (ofc not 1:1 transfer, but some kind of reworked would be nice).

More secret objectives - i totally disagree. In most of cases you are not able to predict which secret is oponent doing, so you are not able to prevent him from scoring it. Espacially that you can still do SO even if you dont own your HS.

More cards- disagree. Ti3 with all expansions had a lot of SH(I)T cards. I mean really **** cards which didnt do anything but was doubling the basic deck. So you had to implement house rule to remove 50% of action deck cards and 50% of agenda cards as these were really useless.

Ofc If they got any new ideas im ok. Maybe cross color technologies?

And ofc they need to fix winnu. This race is total garbage. Their racial technologies depends on map setup. Their racial ability is forcing them to rush into mecatol. So you need to start with speaker token or be on the left of speaker.
so
- you need good map setup to use their technologies
- you need to be close to speaker
- you cant have supernova in ring1 on your path to mecatol to gain mecatol as 1st player

A lot of depencies for not reliable techs and abilities...

I've played 3 and 4, and TI4 is quite possibly one of my three favorite tabletop games ever. I will preface my suggestions with the fact that I enjoy an overflowing amount of racial and diplomatic options in my games, but I fully understand why some wouldn't. What I would like to see is:

-At least two more ground units. Currently space combat is dynamic and interesting, but ground combat is decidedly less so. I understand that the reference cards would have to be individual cards that you'd line up next to your tech cards or whatnot, but at least this approach allows for easy addition of races.

-A few more races. Too many would exhaust what is possible with the mechanics and the feeling of uniqueness, but I think around 24 would be nice, so 8 player games could give out three choices.

-Far more systems and tiles. I don't really see a reason any of us wouldn't want that, its just more variety. TI4 uses almost all non-home tiles every game, and I want to see some radical change baby!

- 7&8 player expansions. I am blessed to have many friends who enjoy TI, and I always liked to play gray in TI3. Plus, it would inevitably come with more tiles. No real reason not to have this, especially if its a mini expansion so players that don't want it can get all the new content without shelling out for this plastic they'd rarely use.

- Leave the simple tech rules, but add more faction specifics. This edition was far more simple to teach new players, and it works well, but I'd like one or two more for each faction.

-More varied objectives. Notably combat based ones. I love a good peaceable game as much as the next person, but the L1Z1X player should be able to fulfil objectives so they can at least pretend they aren't just being an *** to the Hacan player.

-More promissory notes. I ******* love these and would like a few more. that is all.

-faction/token sheet sleeves. I am incredibly neurotic about component safety, and you'll never see a card out of a sleeve at my house. I want to protect those big, beautiful faction sheets.

-More interaction with the planet types. something to make them not just "oh I guess my action card applies to that one..."

-Some neat scenarios like the old fall of the Lazax one, and some interesting galaxy set ups when we have more tiles.

-A mini-expansion with unique flagship figs. Totally optional, but for the super-fans that can scrape up the money, it would be very cool.

-More lore for the Roleplaying game I'm running in this setting. Not really important, but I love TI's setting and use a generic sci-fi system. I'm a lore goblin. Feed me FFG.

I agree completely with more tiles and combat focused objectives.

Having the ability to score points through military might would be nice.

I'd love to see 7-8 player expansion and corresponding plastic. But an Imperial strategy draw on the first round would suck hard (though I have done it already - we did our own 7-8 expansion with tiles from TI3 expansions and the extra 2 colors from the expansions). You will need to add a 9th strategy, or develop new strategy cards. Obviously this would need more tiles then too.

Expansions don't have to be all encompassing. I would snap up individual factions if they were priced right.

You know what would be a real good expansion option? Flagship IIs