Matte Medium Advice?

By TauntaunScout, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Hi,
I have been meaning to try using acrylic medium for some time. Just got a container of Windsor & Newton matte medium. Any tips? Besides "don't drink it" I know next to nothing of the subject of mediums but it was on a massive discount, so I figured I'd try and expand my painting-minis-technique-horizons.

I use citadel's Lamian (sp?) medium to make my own glazes by adding a tiny bit of color to it medium. It is good for colored lenses, lights, etc. My biggest use is to thin paints that aren't flowing well but I don't want to lose the coverage by adding water. I also use it for sealing on decals. It is like a gloss...with no shine, if that makes sense.

15 hours ago, Wired4War said:

It is like a gloss...with no shine, if that makes sense.

Thanks! But indeed it does not make sense. Do you mean to type "like a varnish" or "like a sealer"? A gloss without shine is like crimson without red. I thought about Citadel but I kept reading that Lamian Medium is the same as the ones sold in art supply stores, just, in a much smaller bottle for tens of times the price per ml. I ended up paying $7 for a container about the size of a Coke can. Same reason I started buying my inks at the art store. I was very snobby about my Citadel Colour and even I couldn't tell the difference between my Citadel inks and the Liquitex inks. I have found that a dot of the medium makes my inks much more interesting.

So I guess I can just google "uses for Lahmian medium" and see what comes up!

That is what I meant, it's just a paint without color.

I will say this stuff is about the best (painting) purchase I've made in years. Maybe decades. It's a real game changer, possibly THE thing I've been looking for to successfully adapt to the needs of painting at the 35mm scale of IA.

Can you elaborate? What is it letting you do that you couldn't do (or found it hard to do) before? I've used lahmian medium to thin washes (great for stormtroopers) but not a lot else...

I use part medium, part water, for thinning virtually everything at the moment. It cuts the glare and definitely aids in flow. Just a tiny amount of medium. It's thinner than paint but thicker than water, so, you kinda play with it on the pallet to the right consistency. Lahmian would be too expensive for it but, art store brand isn't.

Also. You know how you get old Citadel paints that are really thick, almost dried up? Putting a few drops of water in, giving it a good shake and waiting a day sometimes, but rarely, revives them. Turns out, putting a little bit of acrylic medium into an old uber-thick Citadel paint pot does the trick pretty nicely.

Edit: I say POSSIBLY the thing I need for 35mm cause so far, I've only used it on 28's and simple scenery items.

Other edit: It's really handy for thinning yellow. We all know yellow is a hassle.

Edited by TauntaunScout

That, or something very very similar. I bought mine in the US, and can't recall if the label looked 100% like that and don't have it right in front of me.