Carolyn Fern/Vincent Lee action

By NICOLIAN, in General Discussion

Hey all, I just got the Dreamlands expansion and my husband and I really enjoy it. Yet, we came across a question regarding Vincent Lee and Carolyn Fern actions. They allow investigators to perform a rest action. We had one of our investigators perform a rest action to get to the dreamlands while playing against Hypnos and then that investigator met up on Carolyn Ferns space and she used her action to let the investigator rest to recover sanity and get rid of a madness condition. Do you think this is incorrect since you are only allowed to use one action per investigator or does Carolyn and Vincents action still allow it?

what are your thoughts?

You played correct. Investigator 1 performed only 1 rest action on his turn. Besides, Carolyn's ability is a component action .

Edited by Meretrix

Unfortunately, this is not true. Carolyn's ability reads: " Action : You or another investigator on your space may discard 1 Madness Condition and/or perform a Rest Action ." -> Which means, while you could use her ability to discard 1 Madness Condition for another investigator, you can't have them rest again. It doesn't matter that another investigator is trying to give you the same action. (It's the same for Vincent.)

[ Rulebook, Page 7: " Each investigator can perform each action only once during a round. For example, an investigator cannot perform two Rest actions." ]

Edited by Lorinor

But it is under the purview of a Local/Component Action, which is a separate Action and therefore does not count as taking the same Action. Part of the point of her Action is to potentially allow a character(her or an investigator on the same space) to take two Rest Actions. Otherwise there would be no point to having it listed on her card, the action would just read that you can remove a madness condition.

I think Lorinor is actually correct. The point of Carolyn's ability is to allow a rest action and removal of a madness in a single action. It's like an alternate rest action. It is a component action but it triggers a rest action in addition to it's other effect. Jenny Barnes works the same way with acquiring assets.

Edited by Meretrix
1 hour ago, Meretrix said:

I think Lorinor is actually correct. The point of Carolyn's ability is to allow a rest action and removal of a madness in a single action. It's like an alternate rest action. It is a component action but it triggers a rest action in addition to it's other effect. Jenny Barnes works the same way with acquiring assets.

Agreed. They specifically state that the Investigator takes a Rest action , (or an Acquire Assets action , in Jenny's case) so the rule about not taking the same action twice in a round would apply.

3 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

But it is under the purview of a Local/Component Action, which is a separate Action and therefore does not count as taking the same Action. Part of the point of her Action is to potentially allow a character(her or an investigator on the same space) to take two Rest Actions. Otherwise there would be no point to having it listed on her card, the action would just read that you can remove a madness condition.

Not true. Her action (and Vincent's) allows for two significant possibilities:

- As Meretrix pointed out, it allows an investigator to remove a negative condition and rest as part of a single action (Carolyn's or Vincent's action, btw... it is not a local/component action, so they must take the action for the other 'gator) gaining an extra health or sanity due to their passive.

- It allows Carolyn or Vincent to "donate" an action to another investigator for them to rest and gain an additional sanity or health (even if they don't have a condition to remove) so the other Investigator has both actions free to do something more important. This may not seem like a big deal, but often there are investigators better suited to certain actions than others and therefore it may be beneficial. This is effectively how Charlie's action works, giving away one of his actions to another Investigator who is better suited to use it.

Edited by KBlumhardt

Yep, rereading the rulebooks and reading your guys responses, I was totally wrong. Good to know for future playthroughs. I don't think I have either of those characters yet.

Wow, I'm impressed by the great responses. Thank you. Yes, my husband and I came to the same conclusions and we rescinded the double rest action. Ironically, this investigator (Gloria Goldberg) later went insane. Lol. Can I just say, that you are all so civil in the way you discuss these things. I appreciate it a lot.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:16 PM, KBlumhardt said:

(or an Acquire Assets action , in Jenny's case)

And there was an official clarification regarding Jenny which confirms Lorinor's ruling.

The rest action from Carolyn is not free and still counts as one of the 2 actions in the receiving investigators action phase correct?

On 3/28/2020 at 7:38 AM, Kgeo said:

The rest action from Carolyn is not free and still counts as one of the 2 actions in the receiving investigators action phase correct?

No, it counts as one of Carolyn's actions. It works as if she's passing the action to the receiving investigator, who would still get their own 2 actions.