The Complete Species Guide

By Yaccarus, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

@Yaccarus , I love what you've done here. I noticed the Lasat stats are significantly different from those listed in Allies and Adversaries . What sources are your Lasat statistics based on? Are there a form of Lasat in Legends that I don't know about that these statistics are based on?

Edited by Craftidore

Mine are based on the purely Legends version of Lasat, although I am thinking of adding a Lasat (Canon) page at some point. It would be an interesting precedent to set though, as there are very few other cases where a species name can have a totally different meaning between Legends and Canon. I got my info from Wookieepedia, but in terms of primary sources, the Lasats made an appearance in Tatooine Manhunt, and they were fleshed out about 8 years later in the Alien Encounters segment of the Star Wars Adventure Journal.

@Yaccarus, what kind of formula do you use for converting from WEG to FFG? I've thought about re-writing a lot of the old WEG modules, as some of my original ideas, into FFG, and though you have an impressive number of WEG conversions already, I see that there are still some missing, and I'd like to fill some of the gaps. Admittedly, between official FFG and player made species, I can't imagine players running out of character ideas, but I'm a bit of a completist by nature and like to be prepared for everything.

@Balorna I more or less create stats for WEG species in the same way I would for those who have never appeared in an RPG before. It's not particularly formulaic; I often jot down a few ideas for characteristics or abilities that make sense based on the profile, but most of the work to modify and add abilities or stats happens as I write the text and gain a better understanding of the species. My guide for characteristics would be:

Intellect is a combination of Knowledge, Mechanical, and Technical
Brawn is Strength
Agility is Dexterity
Cunning is Perception, with a lot of leeway for subjective interpretation
Willpower and Presence are based entirely on my own opinions after reading about them

If you want my advice on any particular stat blocks, I'd be more than willing to go over how I would do it.

18 hours ago, Ogrebear said:

Would you be able to suggest some stats for the Vaathkree species please?

Details: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Vaathkree_(species)

They've been on my list for a while, but I'll plan to have a go at making a page for them soon. Here's what seems reasonable to me for now:

Agility 1
WT 12+Brawn, ST 10+Willpower
85 XP
1 rank in Negotiation
Gifted Traders: Receive the talent "Wheel and Deal."
Hardened Plates: Receive the talent "Enduring."
Variable Forms: May choose one of the following forms at character creation:
Bulky:
+2 WT
+15 XP
1 rank in Resilience
Ultimate Protection: Receive an additional rank in the talent "Enduring."
Ponderous: May only spend 1 maneuver moving per turn. Encumbrance threshold is equal to 10+Brawn.
Extra Limbs:
Four Arms: May have twice as much gear in their hands and do not have to suffer strain for a second maneuver. Still may not make 3 maneuvers in a round without “Unmatched Mobility.”
Humanoid:
Presence 3

I'm actually really happy with how the stat block turned out, and I'd like to think that the variable forms abilities give them some interesting flavor.

Absolutely a necessary addition to the official material.

There is a species that I would like to see as an addition to your guide, the Firrerreo.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Firrerreo

There is not much on their society and culture, but definitely enough to play with. Their one defining feature is their rapid healing ability. Fast healing is hard because they (FFG) didn’t do any other race with it, on the one topic brought up on the forums they compared it to the Trandoshan’s regeneration. That level of healing doesn’t cut it compared to how fast they say the Firrerreo heal, being able to see the wound closing in real-time.

I came up with some quick and dirty stats for them but wanted your input on the species.

Here is my interpretation:

Brawn: 3 | Agility: 2 | Intellect: 2 | Cunning: 2 | Willpower: 2 | Presence: 2

Wound Threshold: 14 + Brawn

Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower

Species Traits

Nictitating Membranes : 2 boost die to checks for protecting eyes from bright flashes of lights and flying debris. Can see into the UV spectrum remove 2 setback from sight based skill checks due to low to no light.

Healing Factor : Recover 5 wounds at the end of every round. Criticals of under hard difficulty can heal at a rate of one ever 3 round, criticals of hard difficulty and over can heal at a rate of one per hour. Note on two specific criticals, first on Maimed, if the limb is not severely damaged it may be reattached but not functional downgrading the crit to crippled. If the limb is not attached within 2 rounds the wound closes and the limb regrows over the course of a week. The second Gruesome Injury, it is not permanent, it will heal within a month, 2 if a hit to intellect.

1 free rank of Resilience and Resilience is always considered a career skill.

Starting XP: 90

On 10/27/2020 at 5:34 AM, Gordian Naught said:

There is a species that I would like to see as an addition to your guide, the Firrerreo.

There is not much on their society and culture, but definitely enough to play with. Their one defining feature is their rapid healing ability. Fast healing is hard because they (FFG) didn’t do any other race with it, on the one topic brought up on the forums they compared it to the Trandoshan’s regeneration. That level of healing doesn’t cut it compared to how fast they say the Firrerreo heal, being able to see the wound closing in real-time.

I came up with some quick and dirty stats for them but wanted your input on the species.

Species Traits

Nictitating Membranes : 2 boost die to checks for protecting eyes from bright flashes of lights and flying debris. Can see into the UV spectrum remove 2 setback from sight based skill checks due to low to no light.

Healing Factor : Recover 5 wounds at the end of every round. Criticals of under hard difficulty can heal at a rate of one ever 3 round, criticals of hard difficulty and over can heal at a rate of one per hour. Note on two specific criticals, first on Maimed, if the limb is not severely damaged it may be reattached but not functional downgrading the crit to crippled. If the limb is not attached within 2 rounds the wound closes and the limb regrows over the course of a week. The second Gruesome Injury, it is not permanent, it will heal within a month, 2 if a hit to intellect.

This is tremendously overpowered based on attributes and xp alone.

110 xp and all 2's, spend 30 xp to boost brawn and your left with 80.

Would threshold of 14 +brawn deduct another 20 xp

Strain threshold 12 + willpower deduct another 10 xp, so you're at 50 xp before you get to the species traits.

Darkvision is 10 xp, putting you at 40 xp.

Healing factor... no just no, treat it like having unlimited stimpack (and it counts against stimpacks)first use of a stimpack in a day heals 5, next heals 4, 3rd heals 3, 4th heals 2, fith heals 1, 6th or later heals zero,

that's worth a minimum of 20 xp

The skills are worth another 5 xp above human

Leaving you with 15 species xp if you're being generous, maybe 5 if you're being stingy.

Edited by EliasWindrider
On 10/27/2020 at 6:34 AM, Gordian Naught said:

Species Traits

It might be a bit before I can add a proper page, as I've been busy with other stuff, but my sentiment on your stats is roughly the same as that of @EliasWindrider : Way too overpowered.

Anytime you have a build with more 3s than 1s, you're looking at either some kind of major handicap, or really low XP. In this case, you have neither. In fact, since they have such powerful abilities, I would consider giving them multiple characteristics at 1. Brawn 3 seems like a given knowing their description. Normally, their fierce independence, frequency of Force-sensitives, and self-reliance would all constitute a boost to Willpower, but because they already have a 3 in Brawn and not a lot of drawbacks, I think we'll leave Willpower where it is. Instead, I'll denote this trait as a low cunning: They view the galaxy in very simple terms of every man for himself and generally ignore others. Cunning often involves manipulating those around them for their own gain, and involves complex interactions. Aside from perhaps Hethrir, Firrerreos seem lacking in this ability. Presence is also be a reasonable deduction for this reason. On another species, I would go with one or the other, but I'll knock both down, since Firrerreo would be lacking in XP otherwise.

Starting with skills, Resilience seems reasonable based on Rillao's ability to stave off torture, and it nicely supplements their regenerative abilities. I'll that from your block, but making something a career skill is exceptionally rare. Though not entirely unprecedented, it seems awfully arbitrary.

Moving to Wound and strain thresholds, I'll give a boost to both as homage to their resilience, but I don't want to go too far, as I think that their durability is more a result of healing quickly than tolerating the wounds. 11+Brawn and 11+Willpower seem reasonable to note these abilities without overemphasizing them.

The eyes we'll somewhat simplify, making them remove a setback for dark or bright conditions, and I consider the damage reduction niche enough that it's not worth mentioning in the stat block. I'll cite the Chevin as a precedent, since they have a similar trait but receive no mention of it in their official stat block or my stat block.

For healing, I'll offer a compromise: The cuts sealing up are probably fairly superficial wounds, maybe on the order of 1-4 wounds that they're healing when it describes the wounds seal. I'll let them heal wounds using a average resilience check, each success being one wound. This will require an action, which means that it requires them to pause in combat if they want to heal, and it adds an interesting option without getting too overpowered. I'll convert this to five wounds per hour outside of combat. This fits with major wounds taking mere hours to heal. I'll let them roll to heal a crit once after every hour of healing.

All in all:

Brawn 3, Cunning 1, Presence 1
WT 11+Brawn, ST 11+Willpower
100 XP
1 rank in Resilience
Advanced Eyes: Remove setback for lighting conditions.
Supreme Regeneration: As an action, may make an average Resilience check to heal, recovering 1 wound per success. Outside of combat, after every hour of healing, recover 5 wounds and may roll to heal a critical injury. May reattach lost limbs in a few hours if the limb is set in place.

1 hour ago, Yaccarus said:

It might be a bit before I can add a proper page, as I've been busy with other stuff, but my sentiment on your stats is roughly the same as that of @EliasWindrider : Way too overpowered.

Anytime you have a build with more 3s than 1s, you're looking at either some kind of major handicap, or really low XP. In this case, you have neither. In fact, since they have such powerful abilities, I would consider giving them multiple characteristics at 1. Brawn 3 seems like a given knowing their description. Normally, their fierce independence, frequency of Force-sensitives, and self-reliance would all constitute a boost to Willpower, but because they already have a 3 in Brawn and not a lot of drawbacks, I think we'll leave Willpower where it is. Instead, I'll denote this trait as a low cunning: They view the galaxy in very simple terms of every man for himself and generally ignore others. Cunning often involves manipulating those around them for their own gain, and involves complex interactions. Aside from perhaps Hethrir, Firrerreos seem lacking in this ability. Presence is also be a reasonable deduction for this reason. On another species, I would go with one or the other, but I'll knock both down, since Firrerreo would be lacking in XP otherwise.

Starting with skills, Resilience seems reasonable based on Rillao's ability to stave off torture, and it nicely supplements their regenerative abilities. I'll that from your block, but making something a career skill is exceptionally rare. Though not entirely unprecedented, it seems awfully arbitrary.

Moving to Wound and strain thresholds, I'll give a boost to both as homage to their resilience, but I don't want to go too far, as I think that their durability is more a result of healing quickly than tolerating the wounds. 11+Brawn and 11+Willpower seem reasonable to note these abilities without overemphasizing them.

The eyes we'll somewhat simplify, making them remove a setback for dark or bright conditions, and I consider the damage reduction niche enough that it's not worth mentioning in the stat block. I'll cite the Chevin as a precedent, since they have a similar trait but receive no mention of it in their official stat block or my stat block.

For healing, I'll offer a compromise: The cuts sealing up are probably fairly superficial wounds, maybe on the order of 1-4 wounds that they're healing when it describes the wounds seal. I'll let them heal wounds using a average resilience check, each success being one wound. This will require an action, which means that it requires them to pause in combat if they want to heal, and it adds an interesting option without getting too overpowered. I'll convert this to five wounds per hour outside of combat. This fits with major wounds taking mere hours to heal. I'll let them roll to heal a crit once after every hour of healing.

All in all:

Brawn 3, Cunning 1, Presence 1
WT 11+Brawn, ST 11+Willpower
100 XP
1 rank in Resilience
Advanced Eyes: Remove setback for lighting conditions.
Supreme Regeneration: As an action, may make an average Resilience check to heal, recovering 1 wound per success. Outside of combat, after every hour of healing, recover 5 wounds and may roll to heal a critical injury. May reattach lost limbs in a few hours if the limb is set in place.

@Gordian Naught this actually a well balanced take. Probably more useful to a player than I would have chosen.

What does everyone think about the Faust species? He will be a reoccurring nemesis in an upcoming Clone Wars campaign.

The only two Fausts I know of were involved in medical/science field, so it would make sense to give the a rank in Medicine or Education.

All I can find on Wookieepedia is:

"Faust were an alien species of tall humanoids with pale blue skin, a double set of eyelids, and light-colored eyes."

260?cb=20160913015929

13 minutes ago, PS-29-3 said:

What does everyone think about the Faust species? He will be a reoccurring nemesis in an upcoming Clone Wars campaign.

The only two Fausts I know of were involved in medical/science field, so it would make sense to give the a rank in Medicine or Education.

All I can find on Wookieepedia is:

260?cb=20160913015929

My best advice for these ultra-undeveloped species, you need to develop more info on them before you can use them. It's really hard to create a major NPC when you don't know where he's from or in what culture he was raised or how his species tends to act. How you flesh it out is up to you, but I but definitely do something more than just use what was presented.

For a PC stat block without writing any such new lore, probably all 2s, rank in Medicine, talent to boot, and 110 XP.

@Yaccarus Can you tell us which new board you will be moving your content to if any please?

7 hours ago, Ogrebear said:

@Yaccarus Can you tell us which new board you will be moving your content to if any please?

Thanks for reminding me about this. For major updates, I generally post on r/swrpg, and I'll continue to do so. Additionally, I'll be migrating CSG updates to Legends of the Galaxy, where I've posted here .