First time play with Legends of the Alliance App

By Redsavina, in Legends of the Alliance

I have played about 4 scenarios with Imperial Assault in the past, and I always ran the Imperials since I knew the rules the best.

Well, last night I installed the app, added my collection (which was about 52% I think) and then we ran the 3 tutorials, and played the first mission.

We really liked the app features once we figured things out. It provided an excellent narrative to the game, and allowed for us to have an immersive experience in the Star Wars universe.

I only see a couple of limitations, which if were improved, would game the app way better in my opinion.

1. The background music is there, and provides some ambiance while not being too distracting. However, if the audio were more fully developed, it would make for a much more immersive experience. For example, we had messages of random blaster shots, and there could be sound effects to back that up. We also entered a Cantina, and the story even said someone was playing music, but the app didnt give us any Cantina music (although we all heard the same tune in our heads, lol). There were many other narrative indications of sound effects, but the audio didnt back them up. So beefing up the sound effects, and even voices, would make the app more accurately represent the story.

2. The baddies movement and attacks.... I understand that this is quite difficult, and I do like that certain player conditions (like player names, people with the least damage, etc....) are present in the targeting instructions, but we struggled to see how things were suppose to make sense at times. Based on what the tutorial taught us, some baddies attempted to target players who were totally out of range, so we went to the movement section, and they couldnt move due to the indicated restrictions, so they just remained inactive. That was kinda weird, because if I were controlling them, I would have played them much differently. Maybe we need to house rule it, or we are missing something, but often the targeting worked, and sometimes it didnt. Without the App really knowing where the Rebel Heros are, its difficult for it to effectively position the bad guys appropriately in different situations. Not sure how to fix this one, but when a human player is controlling the baddies, they can implement a strategy which impacts the current objective or overall campaign. When the app controls it, the movement is largely based on a condition of who it will target, then the movement is usually based on gaining a level of distance from one or more Rebels. I never really saw the movement instructions connect to the mission objective. Maybe that comes later in the campaign?

Overall, I liked the app a lot, and went out and acquired more of the content I was missing today. I am now at 83%, and am just missing like 4 ally / villain packs, and then the Heart of the Empire box expansion.

Reread the Legends of the Alliance app rulebook PDF section on targeting, you may have missed something. If the Imperial figure can't move to attack the named figure, it will move to attack the closest Rebel figure it can, matching the criteria as best it can. If it can in no way move the alloted spaces to get an attack, it skips that instruction and will usually get two reposition actions to move within attacking distance of the heroes for the next turn, or next to their fellow Imperials in the case of Officers and Royal Guards. It's very rare that an Imperial unit will do nothing during its activation unless it's stunned or something, although two Officers might sometimes get stuck engaging each other.

Good idea. I am going to go through the instruction manual for the Legends of the Alliance to more fully understand the Imperial Activation orders just to be sure I fully understand them.

I was also thinking that because the app does not track Imperial placement, then we can "nudge" the Imperials in a more intelligent manner based on the scenario and the current mission.