First Daqan List

By Karl45, in Runewars List Building

I’m a new player who got into this game as a result of a Christmas haul. Putting my first lists together so I’m probably missing something obvious. My area has a few that play (5-6) so I’m looking to play competitively soon. Please let me know what I’ve overlooked!

Total: 200
Heavy Crossbowmen [27]
Total Unit Cost: 27

Heavy Crossbowmen [27]
Total Unit Cost: 27

Spearmen [59]
Front Line Rune Golem [7]
Metered March [2]
Total Unit Cost: 68

Lord Hawthorne [34]
Shield of Margath [6]
Might of Daqan [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Oathsworn Cavalry [34]
Total Unit Cost: 34

Welcome to the game!

I'm not a Daqan player, so my suggestions would be limited, but it looks solid to me. You have the 4x1-tray Oathsworn with Hawthorn's ability in there and that is a scary unit. You also have the Heavy Crossbowmen in 3-tray configurations, which, again, is a huge amount of threat that your opponent has to deal with. And of course, the 9-tray Spearmen with the Frontline Rune Golem is always a menace. You have tons of threat in your list which will allow you to deal mega damage ... if the dice go your way.

The biggest drawback from this list is a lack of rerolls from having multiple ranks of units. Your Oathsworn Cavalry and Crossbowmen are both only 1 tray deep, so they don't get any rerolls for having extra ranks. If it were possible, I would recommend trying to squeeze in Rank Discipline on one of your units. However, you only have 4 upgrades in your list, and only one of those (Metered March) is one you could live without. The Rune Golem is what gives your Spearmen the extra teeth to go from being unit to be cautious around to being a menace. Your Hawthorn build is a standard one that is supposedly very good, so you may not want to mess with it. I have seen some other builds for Hawthorne, on these forums, so look around. I think there might be cheaper options for him, but it will change how he plays.

As a friendly tip, most people indicate the number of trays for each unit when typing up their lists because most people don't have all the point costs memorized. At least I don't. You could write "4 tray" or "2x2" or "4x1" to indicate the unit's size. Just something to consider for the future.

Edited by Budgernaut

Thanks! I appreciate the tips and the advice.

Piggybacking off of @Budgernaut 's advice, remember that you don't have to reform your Oathsworn into a 4x1 for every battle. Sometimes it's helpful to keep it a compact 2x2, both for ease of movement and for rerolls. Lord Hawthorne still hands out Inspiration tokens like candy, so he's not wasted points. I do wonder if you can get by with no upgrades on Hawthorne in order to secure Rank Discipline on your Heavy Crossbowmen...would he still be worth 34 points?

Does this list below work better than doubling up on the Crossbows? Since I’m new I almost want to try each unit before doubling up but the Crossbows seem to be very good.

List Name: Hawthorne

Faction: Daqan

Lord Hawthorne
# of Trays: 1 ( 34 points)
- Shield of Margath ( 6 points)
- Might of Daqan ( 4 points)
= 44 total unit cost

Spearmen
# of Trays: 9 ( 59 points)
- Citadel Weapons Master ( 8 points)
- Front Line Rune Golem ( 7 points)
= 74 total unit cost