New player, one core, what do I buy next?

By RocketDarth, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

Hello all, I got the L5R core for Christmas (haven't played it yet, hopping to today) but I was wondering what I should buy next if I enjoy the game? If it makes your answer easier what I really want from the game is to be able to build fun decks and have some good variety. Thanks

Over time, accumulating a total of three core sets will go pretty far. That hypothetically allows for 2 full, tournament level decks, so you can play with a friend. You may not ever play a tournament, but I think the game was designed with that style of play in mind, so it will feel the most 'complete.'

There are 6 dynasty packs currently. They each have 3 copies of 20 cards, so you may eventually want one each of those, but I'd grab them before the next cycle starts, so you don't fall too far behind.

The first thing you buy is a second core. The next thing is a third core.

So I have 2 core sets and 1 each of the 6 dynasty supplements out so far.

Do I really need that third Core Set?

Let me just say I have never played L5R, but I am a competitive player at heart.

...So, I will want to be able to compete in the local tournaments for L5R.

I agree with kakita San, if you like it the first step is 3 cores to make sure you have the playsets of neutral cards needed for 2 decks of equivalent strength and strategy.

20 hours ago, gangrel767 said:

Let me just say I have never played L5R, but I am a competitive player at heart.

For now, yes, you need the 3rd core. There are still a handful of clan cards in the cores that you want to run 3 of. That could easily change over the next couple of years as the card selection expands.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:50 PM, gangrel767 said:

I was thinking of doing something like this as well. I was just looking at my core and saw that getting one more core and a few of the dynasty packs would give me at least two copies of each card and four of some of the other cards. I really don't want to go super competitive, I just want to have fun with the game.

On 27/12/2017 at 10:10 PM, Nitenman said:

I agree with kakita San, if you like it the first step is 3 cores to make sure you have the playsets of neutral cards needed for 2 decks of equivalent strength and strategy.

Is there a reason you need 2 decks? I'm thinking about starting this game and I'm at a loss at what to buy after the first starter box (which looks like at least a second starter box)...

7 minutes ago, Glyph said:

Is there a reason you need 2 decks? I'm thinking about starting this game and I'm at a loss at what to buy after the first starter box (which looks like at least a second starter box)...

you don't need two decks per se, if you have a good environment around, and can play often. But if you play with a relative/friend mostly, three cores will be good for two. Or if like me you like playtesting solo two decks.

May also helps you find your playstyle.

thing is core box has some good clan cards in single and neutrals in two. So 3 cores makes a playset of clan cards AND 2 sets of neutral.

Edited by Nitenman
On 1/5/2018 at 10:48 AM, Glyph said:

A couple good reasons I can think of:

• So you can experiment with different styles of play
  • So you can introduce a friend to the game with two perfectly legal decks
  • So you can "switch it up" when you get tired of one deck
  • Have one deck to play, and one to mess around with.
On 05/01/2018 at 4:54 PM, Nitenman said:

you don't need two decks per se, if you have a good environment around, and can play often. But if you play with a relative/friend mostly, three cores will be good for two. Or if like me you like playtesting solo two decks.

May also helps you find your playstyle.

thing is core box has some good clan cards in single and neutrals in two. So 3 cores makes a playset of clan cards AND 2 sets of neutral.

14 hours ago, twinstarbmc said:

A couple good reasons I can think of:

• So you can experiment with different styles of play
  • So you can introduce a friend to the game with two perfectly legal decks
  • So you can "switch it up" when you get tired of one deck
  • Have one deck to play, and one to mess around with.

Haha! Thanks all for your input! I've ordered 2 core sets and half the dynasty packs. Until I can get the other starter, the rest of the dynasty packs, and the Phoenix clan pack a friend is going to lend me cards for tournaments.