Question about expansions.

By Shosur0, in General Discussion

Hi there!

Just a quick question. Im a fan of the Mythos and I received this game recently as a gift for friends and it rocks. We've played 4 games so far (2xAzazoth, Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath). I have to say I find it hard. We lost all of them. But we had a blast even in defeat. The narrative in the game gives you moment like when our Politician/Senator character was assassinated by his loyal assistant that had been with him the whole game. It seems Chtulhu offered him a better deal. :P

In any case, we love it. I went to my LGS and there are several expansions. I want to get several of them so Ive been browsing reviews and checking posts about contents etc. One simple question... Can you add encounter cards from all of those expansions into the basic encounter decks? Or are they related to the theme of the expansion? What I mean is... f.e. can I add encounter cards from Mountains of Madness and Under the Pyramids to the basic deck and then we are playing vs Cthulhu. Wont it be strange to have encounters related to Ithaqua or the Dark Paraohn? Or are encounter cards kinda "neutral". (I know clue cards are themed depending on the Old One you are fighting).

Thanks in advance for the help.

You mix everything in except the few cards that relate directly to sideboards, in the expansions that have them. They do really add a lot of replayability to the game. I recommend Forsaken Lore first. It adds more mysteries for the core ancient ones.

Just picked up the game myself and that's my first question. Thanks for the answer.

7 hours ago, Shosur0 said:

Wont it be strange to have encounters related to Ithaqua or the Dark Paraohn? Or are encounter cards kinda "neutral". (I know clue cards are themed depending on the Old One you are fighting).

Yes exactly. The themes are connected to the ancient one's decks. Other expansion cards are pretty generic but with the flavor of the expansion they come with.

Edited by Meretrix
On 2017/12/23 at 11:49 PM, Meretrix said:

Yes exactly. The themes are connected to the ancient one's decks. Other expansion cards are pretty generic but with the flavor of the expansion they come with.

For the encounters, I just shuffle them all together. But what I have started doing is filtering the Mythos cards based on which expansion content I am using. So if I use the AO from strange remnants and the prelude from cities in ruin, then I use mythos cards from both expansions and core.