Cloud or Sephiroth

By Xabers, in Hollow Bastion

So here's my question: which do most players like better, Cloud or Sephiroth? Both of them have pretty similar abilities and are both really useful in a tight situation.

In my opinion, Sephiroth is probably the better of the two since he can be used in multiple challenges and he has a really high support. Cloud is still really good for Dark control and Aerith gives him a nice boost, too. But enough of what I think...what's everyone elses opinion?

Sephiroth has Cloud beaten

While Aerith gives Cloud plus 5, it also destroys him.

If I've learned anything playing card games, typically one-off cards that specifically name another card (or rely on another such card to be good) aren't as worthwhile as the versatile, utilitarian card that's always good.

i like them both. they both have uses. but i do like sephiroth more

It all depends on the situation cause if your a beat down deck then Sephiroth is or course the awesome and best choice.

If your a world rush deck then Cloud is the obvious and best choice and sometimes aerith makes it better cause than its a +14 to kill dark cards.

It all really depends on the deck being built.

Cloud is much way better cause since he cant be discarded after using him in a battle, Aerith supports him 5 points for me is much better than Sephiroth, luck to all...~^

Junito said:

Cloud is much way better cause since he cant be discarded after using him in a battle, Aerith supports him 5 points for me is much better than Sephiroth, luck to all...~^

...then they play behemoth and they die. Cloud can be much more powerful but can be easily gimped by Aerith and Sephiroth is only really useful against another aggro deck, so they both have their ups and downs. I like the art on cloud more than I do Sephiroth so I say cloud.

Fair enough arguements on both sides. To point out one thing though, Behemoth would only trash Cloud if there was an Aerith out too. Other than that he's perfect for Dark control.

like kiro said it just depends on your deck

well maybe there's a strategy to eliminate that behemoth and cloud and aerith would be save from his effect, well thats what i think...

Behemoth is defintely the card that you never want to have an Aerith on the field for. Simba lvl 4 is the same, either way Cloud goes bye.

It'd be pretty complicated to take out Behomth without wasting Aerith and Cloud...Beast and Hercules are your best option but you'd need one that was a high enough level first.

In this case Hercules lvl 3 from the new set is nice to have but Beast lvl 3 and Jack get rid of him for good

Two card combo though so it makes it just a little less likely, but still not hard to pull off.

True but it's really a last ditch effort and it's probably the only time it's within the realm of reason is when you'd lose more cards or board presence the other way.

Ah...so it comes down to what's worse...losing two cards or losing all your friends? Depending on who you have out might affect your choice but in the long run it would be better to just lose Jack and Beast.

Though Aerith really gimps out cloud cause i made an aggro deck that had aerith with sephiroth and while me and my friend were playing he pulled out cloud and was laughing cause he was gonna easily world rush but then i played aerith and used graviga to kill her and his cloud lol. He got mad lmao especially since he didnt know I had Aerith lol.

Though I understand that Cloud is a beatstick when it comes to world running, there are cards that easily stop him from being effective. Invisible and Stealth Sneak are a couple to mention. Plus he had the downside of Aerith disappearing.

I also understand the idea of Sephiroth being a aggro beatstick. But easily enough, there are cards that could stop him as well. Simba and Fairy Harp are a couple to mention. The only thing Sephiroth has for him is the fact that he has no card link that will kill him if destroyed himself.

Honestly 'n personally, I still prefer Leon. He has a bit more safeguards against being killed. But to imagine having all three out there at once? Wow...

Yeah Leon is only slightly weaker and he's got a better defense against discards. And all three at once would be ungodly hard combo to beat.

Choitz said:

Though I understand that Cloud is a beatstick when it comes to world running, there are cards that easily stop him from being effective. Invisible and Stealth Sneak are a couple to mention. Plus he had the downside of Aerith disappearing.

I also understand the idea of Sephiroth being a aggro beatstick. But easily enough, there are cards that could stop him as well. Simba and Fairy Harp are a couple to mention. The only thing Sephiroth has for him is the fact that he has no card link that will kill him if destroyed himself.

Honestly 'n personally, I still prefer Leon. He has a bit more safeguards against being killed. But to imagine having all three out there at once? Wow...

Well of course there are ways around cards, if there weren't it would be game breaking "broken" but that make them any less viable in a deck. Once those two cards are out you have to work your strategy around them, that's what makes them good. Cloud+Pan easily stomp through sneak and invisible and if you are running cloud and expect behemoth (which you should) then don't run Aerith, simple as that.

How does fairy harp stop Sephiroth? I don't understand. Am I missing something? Simba stops every friend but Leon if you don't have fodder/protection from it so mentioning it was sort of redundant. Isn't not having a specific kill card sort of what most friends have, The only ones that have hard counters are Sebastian, Owl, Alice, Chip and Dale or any lvl 0 I forgot besides the King. You didn't provide any really viable argument against them.

Leon isn't as useful as cloud and Sephiroth, granted it has protection from Gravity/Simba (which can be gimped with Phil and Owl) but it's support value doesn't stick around after you use it. it's a one time deal and he makes the rest of your board more vunerable to said magic, though personal preference overrides these facts.

I can imagine a monstro lvl 1 and a Simba lvl 3 being played on that too, leaving you with Leon. Behemoth will get rid of Leon and Sephiroth then you can Simba lvl 1/2 /gravity cloud off. They are high risk/high reward cards.

This is exactly why he's an admin...cause he can analyze this game down to almost any possible strategy. But he's right in almost every situation...and how hard is it to just not play Aerith? She's risky in almost every way...

I think its the fact that if Cloud is ever seen as a threat, ppl would just start running Aeriths. lol

Henry1245 said:

I think its the fact that if Cloud is ever seen as a threat, ppl would just start running Aeriths. lol

Cloud is a threat and running aerith to counter it is eh...Monstro lvl 1 and Simba's get the job done just as well. Aerith is just a waste of space in control decks and other aggro variants won't have much use for her. She is only good at casting stopra and beefing up cloud. if you play her to get rid of cloud, why not just run a Simba or a gravity to do that and more? just seems silly to run such a specific counter in a game with no side deck.

Pros
kills cloud
has 5 magic (though using this to it's fullest potential can be difficult with Phil around)

Cons
She has no support value
isn't versatile

It really depends on what your goal is. I think sephy is more for aggro, and cloud is for WR but thats just my feeling. I really like them both though.

I think Benjew pretty much said everything... But still the argument will go on I'm sure.