Best Gameplay To Introduce New Players?

By robertpolson, in Star Wars: Rebellion

I have played SWR about three times so far and really enjoyed. The problem is that due to work and other priorities, I haven't played in a while. I will have some family coming over the Christmas break and want to play two vs two. I haven't even played RoTE yet. Everything is painted and magnetized though :)

What is the best way for everyone to have fun? SWR or RoTE or SWR with combat system from RoTE?

I do not have the expansion yet. My gut would tell me to start with the base game, then add RoTE once you're comfortable. RoTE has different leaders and cards as well as added units and some tweaks to the battle system.

So if you're somewhat familiar with the base SWR then you shouldn't have to spend much time re-reading the rules.

Start with the base game, because with new players they'll need someone who knows what they're doing. I'd avoid RoTE until maybe the next game, because you really don't want to be diving into the rulebook too often during a game, and that's invariably what happens when you try something new.

:)

Which gameplay would you recommend for four players?

1. Follow the team play rules in the rulebook?

2. Borrow some ideas for team play from the rulebook?

3. Ignore the team play from the rulebook and just play like 1 vs 1 while sharing decisions and ideas?

Edited by robertpolson

Essentially 1 and 3 are the same. The team rules more or less are the same, but specify which team member gets the final say if they can't agree on various decisions (generally based on which board elements the player is sitting close to).

The only significant changes are the rotating turn order for using leaders (Rebel admiral, Imperial admiral, Imperial general, Rebel general), that team members can "pass" independently, and that planning is discussed semi-openly, so it's hard to plan complete surprises.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, robertpolson said:

I have played SWR about three times so far and really enjoyed. The problem is that due to work and other priorities, I haven't played in a while. I will have some family coming over the Christmas break and want to play two vs two. I haven't even played RoTE yet. Everything is painted and magnetized though :)

What is the best way for everyone to have fun? SWR or RoTE or SWR with combat system from RoTE?

I think your idea of using the combat mechanic from RoTE is a great idea. The use of tactic values and all of the small combat cards along with the various ways to add and cancel damage really slowed down the game fro me and my friends during the base campaign. The combat mechanic in the new game with a single card facedown before combat and the hero tactical values only pertaining to re-rolls is far simpler to understand and does not impede the flow of the game nearly as much.