'New' Official Map

By Coyote Walks, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

I just noticed that Kaigan's Island is on this new 'old' map.

So can Shadowlands just not swim or sail? It seems like going around the wall and doing a little river hopping is a possible way into the empire. Or is Fu-Leng just looking to complete more achievements so he can get high score when he conquerors Rokugan?

Like vampires, traversing moving water must be physically painful to those with the shadowlands taint!

19 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

So can Shadowlands just not swim or sail? It seems like going around the wall and doing a little river hopping is a possible way into the empire. Or is Fu-Leng just looking to complete more achievements so he can get high score when he conquerors Rokugan?

Wait for it.....

:ph34r:

yoritomo_harumi_by_jasonengle-d9oczx2.jp

45 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

In the old Canon Crab did maintain a fairly substantial fleet just for dealing with the threat of water born Shadowlands incursions. They made ample use of Iron Turtle style ships that carried a crew of 100+ to patrol the Sea of Shadows.

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Turtle

3 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

In the old Canon Crab did maintain a fairly substantial fleet just for dealing with the threat of water born Shadowlands incursions. They made ample use of Iron Turtle style ships that carried a crew of 100+ to patrol the Sea of Shadows.

Also worth noting that at the last Winter Court RPG event run by AEG, the Crab were looking for naval backup to their existing fleet activities in the Sea of Shadows (which they ultimately got from the Mantis and the Phoenix, once the GMs got around to informing the Phoenix delegation that yes, we actually had a navy worth contributing, despite no mention of it anywhere, including the section on navies in the Book of Water)

59 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

And in Battle for Rokugan, the unique unit of the Crab is a powerful naval one.

Alas. I had my fingers crossed that with the reboot, we might get a redesigned map that has *any* comprehension of how rivers work. (Hint: NOT LIKE THAT.)

I honestly never noticed so many inland bodies of water. Was I just being oblivious?

Makes me think the harbor token in Battle for Rokugan isn't odd after all.

2 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Also worth noting that at the last Winter Court RPG event run by AEG, the Crab were looking for naval backup to their existing fleet activities in the Sea of Shadows (which they ultimately got from the Mantis and the Phoenix, once the GMs got around to informing the Phoenix delegation that yes, we actually had a navy worth contributing, despite no mention of it anywhere, including the section on navies in the Book of Water)

Wait Phoenix have a navy. I though their whole thing was the Tsunami Legion being their "naval" force.

45 minutes ago, Kinzen said:

Alas. I had my fingers crossed that with the reboot, we might get a redesigned map that has *any* comprehension of how rivers work. (Hint: NOT LIKE THAT.)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person this bothered.

39 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Wait Phoenix have a navy. I though their whole thing was the Tsunami Legion being their "naval" force.

WCIV was filled with all sorts of homebrewed non-sense stuff from the GMs and ST.

Makes me glad we have new writers with FFG.

And still no linear scale...

The map is gorgeous, though. (Water-realism aside)

Edited by Tetsuhiko

Nonsensical rivers aside, I should say that it's a lovely map. I like the style, which suggests ink paintings a bit.

I suppose the place names necessary to make this an actual map will come later?

Well does say Rokugan at the bottom. :D

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Is this just the map for Battle for Rokugan without the territorial shading overlays?

35 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Is this just the map for Battle for Rokugan without the territorial shading overlays?

After checking my copy, yes.

5 hours ago, Kinzen said:

One of the things that rebooted 7th Sea did that I like is they hired a cartographer to plan out their maps including making sure that things like rivers, deserts, mountains, etc were all in places relative to each other where they could naturally occur.

That map seem to have even more nonsensical waterway.

Lovely artwork though.

4 hours ago, Kinzen said:

Nonsensical rivers aside, I should say that it's a lovely map. I like the style, which suggests ink paintings a bit.

It is very lovely, but rivers cannot be nonsensical when one can talk to the water kami. Then they make perfect sense :)

Edited by Doji Hyōkin
7 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Nope- it was eternally framed in the context of cavalry/swift movement, not naval action.

Sometimes counter-navy, but the Phoenix's basic military status was perpetually underserved because wizards.

Edited by Shiba Gunichi
20 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Sometimes counter-navy, but the Phoenix's basic everything was perpetually underserved because wizards.

Fixed that for you. :-P

9 hours ago, Coyote Walks said:

Wait for it.....

:ph34r:

yoritomo_harumi_by_jasonengle-d9oczx2.jp

Sweet Christmas, where is that image from?