To skirmish tourney or not to skirmish tourney?

By wannabepudge, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

I had originally posted this in the Skirmish section, and it was pointed out that the topic should be seen by the broader group.

The answer is (obviously) yes you should.

With the onset of regionals, I feel like I've see a few posts here and there about people wanting to get into the competitive scene, and all I can say is DO IT!!!!!

From personal experience, competitive gaming had a stigma of cutthroat gamers that broker no nonsense attitudes. Don't ask why I thought that, but that didn't sound fun. However, a buddy and I decided to play in a local store tourney and that has now flourished into a fantastic experience. Between my local area, extended area, and this forum, the community is generally great. I've played in several tourney's and a sizable regional last year, and have yet to play against an opponent that made the game un-fun.

In fact, if you don't have all the expansions, who cares. Put together a list, play it thoroughly so you know the nuances of it, and chances are you will be competitive in most of your games. I learned an exceptional amount about the game after getting worked over in my first tourney. Discovered that figures I wrote off as crap, actually were great.

At the end of the day, there is attendance swag, and now-a-days top 8 get a pretty sweet new set of die (impress all your friends).

All you need....List with figures and deployment cards, in game tokens (damage, focus, etc.) and tiles for building the tourney maps. Many players have the mats, but bring the tiles just in case.

Check out this thread:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/253553-imperial-assault-printable-skirmish-map-project/

Play on Vassal for practice (online skirmishes). Ultimately, just jump in like you said. I was very hesitant at first (I was worried it was going to be totally cut-throat), but couldn't be happier now that I did.

Lastly get all your friends to play!

Edited by wannabepudge

“Do It,” says Emperor Palpatine.

15 hours ago, Fightwookies said:

“Do It,” says Emperor Palpatine.

"Where is it?" asks Kylo Ren, urgently .. ^^

Eat the porg!

Gonna enter my first comp in Feb. I only have the core and Hoth though... and a couple blisters... seems like Jabbas and HOTE are widely used for skirmish though but I'm gonna try and be competitive without them... Trying to go Rebs with 3po, Gideon, Jyn, and Jedi Luke. After that, not sure, but Verena seems ok. I even had her finish off Vader the other day with his own lightsaber!

17 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

I even had her finish off Vader the other day with his own lightsaber!

Love it!

Good Luck! I've been running a lot of Jynn recently and love her with a defensive boost from 3PO!

17 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

seems like Jabbas and HOTE are widely used for skirmish

They have some solid content to be sure, but so do core and Hoth. Being your first competition, don't get discouraged if you get worked over. I got slaughtered every game I played in my first. It may also drive you to purchase some specific blister packs to boost your lineup for the future. Sometimes it just takes 1 figure/deployment to vault a list into the competitive tier!

Edited by wannabepudge

Thanks for the advice! I might have to use Mak and or The Moncala guy (drawing a blank) too. They are cheap at least, give you more activations and Mak's not bad when focused from Gids or 3po. I wanted to go full Smuggler Box but that would require Han's card from HOTE...

Of you want to be really competitive with little cost, get Hera and Chopper and 1 set of Elite Rangers. Maybe add a Smuggler.

Jedi Luke 12

eRangers 12

Gideon 3

3PO 2

Hera 4

Chopper 3

plus what you want for 4 points. For me, it would be Rebel High Command and a Smuggler.

Edited by DerBaer

Great advice. Thanks.

I'd love to one day run an all wookie team but probably too few activations... chewi, Drok, wook warriors and gaark... or a wookie + 3po and Gid mix...

Maybe wookies n ewoks for the furball squad... if we ever get ewoks.

Chewie, Moroff, eEwoks, rEwoks, Gids, and 3po :)