disenagage rules

By Susanooo, in Runewars Rules Questions

how can i disengage from a combat if i am flanked? Rules state that to disengage i must ferform a shift directly AWAY from the enemy, but thats not possible if im engaged both in front and from the side. is that possible to disengage in such situation?

You can't

In theory could you slide away from the unit engaging your front but still remain engaged on the side?

14 minutes ago, Jukey said:

In theory could you slide away from the unit engaging your front but still remain engaged on the side?

Per 73.5, yes. You can solve 1 but not both engagements. You cannot fully disengage though, even if an avenue potentially exists, as disengaging requires movement directly away from the target.

Edited by Darthain

Has anyone successfully disengaged charged opponent, disengaged charged opponent, and tricking opponent (successfully) on them either selecting to charge them when you charge first or dialing in an attack expecting an early charge and you coming in on a late charge etc? I feel like disengaging is so hard to use effectively. I've used it just to hold a unit a bit longer. That's it.

7 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

Has anyone successfully disengaged charged opponent, disengaged charged opponent, and tricking opponent (successfully) on them either selecting to charge them when you charge first or dialing in an attack expecting an early charge and you coming in on a late charge etc? I feel like disengaging is so hard to use effectively. I've used it just to hold a unit a bit longer. That's it.

Leonx Riders have used it against me before. My Reanimates attacked, but the Leonx Riders did a late charge. Next round I attacked, but they disengaged before I could hit them. Next round, I expected a late attack, so I dialed in a Rally + Defense, but alas, they did a quick charge, and I would have been better off just dialing an attack. Sigh. I got worked that game.

I have found that the only way Reanimates can disengage is to make use of the Blighted Vexillum Bearer, so the enemies charge in with one less die. I still haven't done it successfully (i.e. employed the tactic in such a way that I won the game), but I did shift enough to bring some Oath-broken Cavalry to the rescue of my Reanimates, pinning the opposing unit in place so my Reanimates could charge the next turn (except the opposing Oathsworn Cavalry came in and got my Reanimates, negating the charge, so my plan only almost worked).

7 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Leonx Riders have used it against me before. My Reanimates attacked, but the Leonx Riders did a late charge. Next round I attacked, but they disengaged before I could hit them. Next round, I expected a late attack, so I dialed in a Rally + Defense, but alas, they did a quick charge, and I would have been better off just dialing an attack. Sigh. I got worked that game.

I have found that the only way Reanimates can disengage is to make use of the Blighted Vexillum Bearer, so the enemies charge in with one less die. I still haven't done it successfully (i.e. employed the tactic in such a way that I won the game), but I did shift enough to bring some Oath-broken Cavalry to the rescue of my Reanimates, pinning the opposing unit in place so my Reanimates could charge the next turn (except the opposing Oathsworn Cavalry came in and got my Reanimates, negating the charge, so my plan only almost worked).

Nice, it's nice to hear that it has worked, I'm sorry you couldn't come to me with your triumph in the question and that you had to be the victim, but that is the way with Waiqar. Speed is not your friend.

8 hours ago, Curlycross said:

Nice, it's nice to hear that it has worked, I'm sorry you couldn't come to me with your triumph in the question and that you had to be the victim, but that is the way with Waiqar. Speed is not your friend.

Not only does it work, but if you are hitting from flank, there isn't a whole freaking lot most units can actually do about it. Unless you are front on, most units just can't cope.

7 hours ago, Darthain said:

Not only does it work, but if you are hitting from flank, there isn't a whole freaking lot most units can actually do about it. Unless you are front on, most units just can't cope.

If they are flanking you, just skip attacking back and go for a full-speed march just to get out of there after they shift away.

7 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

If they are flanking you, just skip attacking back and go for a full-speed march just to get out of there after they shift away.

Or reform and face them head on if you don't think you'll get to march away.