unit sizes

By Susanooo, in Runewars Tactics

what unit sizes do you usually take in your armies? 2x1 feels little bit to weak wothout that reroll however 3x3 on the other hand is expensive in points. wtaht your poin of view on unit sizes and why you preffer certains size over another?

Both have had success, the challenges for each are just different. I prefer small units.

Depends on a lot of things.

There are some unit types I can't find much of a reason to run in a 2x1 (Reanimates) and there are others that, for the price/punch/speed/maneuverability can be worth it (Flesh Rippers).

I'm always looking for reasons to run every size of each unit, though. I've run 2x1 Reanimates with Deathmist Banners to see how that worked (not great), but the upgrade distribution is such that if I'm taking a small unit just for an upgrade (like a rallying musician or rune mage) it usually winds up being 2x2.

As a rule, I try to have at least one unit with 3 threat, though. 3 Threat is a damaging unit, usually. 4 Threat is pretty great. 5 Threat is silly, but playing against Daqan I've learned to deal with it :P

Yeah, like to have a variety, but I try to make sure everybody has rerolls. I'm haunted by the time I rolled 4 white dice for Ankaur Maro's ranged attack, and got 3 blanks :( . I don't think I've tried Regenerative Magic since then...and that was the first time I ever played him.

I'm with other folks, it depends on the unit. I definitely agree with Tvayumat, having at least some 3 threat is almost always important. You can get away without it sometimes, replacing it with easy mortal strikes or a unit with 2 threat and a boatload of dice, for instance.

I think Deathmist was a card intended to help small Reanimate formations.

In general - it is army dependent.

Daqan: Spearmen In larger formations unless in a 2x2 with a specific area support card. Cavalry in all sizes. Crossbow in 3 or 6 trays. Rune Golems as solo if ever.

Waiqar: Reanimate are 9 or 12 trays. Archers are 2 or 6. Lancers are 1 or 6. Death knights are all sizes

Latari: Any unit, any size. Except scions only solo.

Uthuk: We need more releases and cards, but Threshers solo (not enough figures for a 6 tray to try), Rippers in 2 trays (limited until expansions come out, Berserkers in all size formations.

I will be running the 6-tray Spined Threshers when the expansions drop and I think they'll do fine. I like the single-trays, too, but I think the 6-tray formation is going to be brutal.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

I will be running the 6-tray Spined Threshers when the expansions drop and I think they'll do fine. I like the single-trays, too, but I think the 6-tray formation is going to be brutal.

2x2 is not quite as brutal as I thought they would be. But the dice were not in my favor in my last game.

19 hours ago, Aetheriac said:

2x2 is not quite as brutal as I thought they would be. But the dice were not in my favor in my last game.

I've found that with Carrion Lancers as well. I'd rather take a 2x1 with Rank Discipline, and use the 15 points I saved elsewhere in my army.

26 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

I've found that with Carrion Lancers as well. I'd rather take a 2x1 with Rank Discipline, and use the 15 points I saved elsewhere in my army.

The Lancers sure are survivors though.