Double strike action card = recharge rate of 3 instead of 0.

By willmanx, in WFRP House Rules

Today I ran the Demo. The dwarf's double (triple if crit') attack is really to powerful to me and the players, compared for example to the Roadwarden's Execution shot (melee+shot = kinda double attack with recharge rate 3).

To balance that, we houseruled double "strike" (maybe that's not the name, I forgot it now, ****) action card has a recharge of 3 instead of 0.

It's not really three attacks as I remember the card (not home now though).

I believe it's one attack, then if you get boons you may add the damage rating of your second weapon. Still just one attack. The third attack has to be against a different opponent as far as I remember and if there are no other enemies, then the result won't count. The downside is you can't have a shield and use the block reaction, which is a really nice defence card.

Gallows said:

It's not really three attacks as I remember the card (not home now though).

I believe it's one attack, then if you get boons you may add the damage rating of your second weapon. Still just one attack. The third attack has to be against a different opponent as far as I remember and if there are no other enemies, then the result won't count. The downside is you can't have a shield and use the block reaction, which is a really nice defence card.

yes you're right : 3 hammers = dmg weapon 1 + dmg weapon 2 + STR against one opponent ; comet = dmg weapon 1 + STR against another engaged opponent. No block is a good point... but that concern also "execution shot" = shot, then free melee attack. The first has recharge 0, the other recharge 3. Other attacks less powerful than that also have a recharge rate (cut and run, etc...)

We thought, including the player interpretating the dwarf slayer, that was a LOT ... character STR 5 + weapon 5 + 2nd weapon 5 = 15.... and another 10 against another opponent if he gets a critical.

So we had a recharge rate.

In fact, other actions cards non basic with 0 recharge rate seems odd to us (winning smile, i.e.) and we discussed about a recharge rate.

I agree that a recharge of 0 seems unreasonable for double strike.

Compare it to reckless strike that can do about the same damage to a single target. If you do max damage it will get 2+2=4 recharge, which is very reasonable. Perhaps simply give double strike a recharge of 2 + the number of extra strikes. If just inflict normal damage then the recharge is 2, if you also add the damage of the second weapon then the recharge is 3, if you also get the last effect and attack a second target then the recharge is 4. That will balance it along the lines of reckless strike, but doing a bit more damage, but removing the ability to block.

Gallows said:

Compare it to reckless strike that can do about the same damage to a single target. If you do max damage it will get 2+2=4 recharge, which is very reasonable. Perhaps simply give double strike a recharge of 2 + the number of extra strikes. If just inflict normal damage then the recharge is 2, if you also add the damage of the second weapon then the recharge is 3, if you also get the last effect and attack a second target then the recharge is 4. That will balance it along the lines of reckless strike, but doing a bit more damage, but removing the ability to block.

thanks for your advice. I haven't check all the action cards yet, except the one player have used, so I don't know a lot about balancing their power. Thanks again, I'll check that "reckless strike". The Elf is interested in "rapid fire" too.

willmanx said:

Gallows said:

thanks for your advice. I haven't check all the action cards yet, except the one player have used, so I don't know a lot about balancing their power. Thanks again, I'll check that "reckless strike". The Elf is interested in "rapid fire" too.

Yeah I'd say something like it for rapid fire. Add +1 to the recharge for every extra shot fired. But with my new challenge die rulling (chaos star = 2 challenges + reroll) rapid fire is actually balanced just fine.

yep, I get it.

For now, I won't use your chaos star rule because it always has been a lot of narrative fun with my players when Chaos Star occured... They know they will better succeed but they suddenly feel afraid of what could come after (a beast owl far away, falling in the water while fighting next to the river etc...).

willmanx said:

yep, I get it.

For now, I won't use your chaos star rule because it always has been a lot of narrative fun with my players when Chaos Star occured... They know they will better succeed but they suddenly feel afraid of what could come after (a beast owl far away, falling in the water while fighting next to the river etc...).

Yeah and with a max of 6 in a characteristic then the success rate won't get that bad out of hand so it's not really a problem using core rules with normal success rate. I agree with the chaos star, because it can add a lot to an otherwise nice success.

that max 6 proposal we defended is really a good thing. That truely balance the game, and it balances rolls between characters and creatures from the bestiary.