Showcase: Gozanti-class Cruiser

By Bullox, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Just now, Minaith said:

Anyway, the deal is to carry things with no hyperdrive engines or speed enough. U-Wings are themselves a transport, full equiped. Are you making a Rebel Gozanti?

mostly thinking to allow the U-Wings to engage in long duration patrols. i'm planning to use it like helicopter carrier/small LPD
more of an independent Gozanti than rebel.

It's a big universe, you do you, but docking U wings would be a little pointless, as they're already hyperspace capable crew carriers. The big benefits of docking are that a: you get access to the ship's hyperdrive and b: you get access to the ship's facilities. The U wing doesn't need the former at all* and needs the latter a lot less than a single-seat snubfighter.

*there is canonical evidence that some ships don't have good hyperdrive range and/or speed, and can still benefit from docking even just for longer hyperdrive range/better speed (the N1 docking onto one of the royal carriers) but it seems a little pointless for the U wing, especially when it's only about 1/3 the length of the Gonz in the first place.

It would make a lot more sense for like... A wings. But even then, it doesn't necessarily make a huge amount of sense, the reason the Empire uses ship carriers is that the bulk of its line ships don't have hyperdrives, particularly Fighters and Bombers.

12 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's a big universe, you do you, but docking U wings would be a little pointless, as they're already hyperspace capable crew carriers. The big benefits of docking are that a: you get access to the ship's hyperdrive and b: you get access to the ship's facilities. The U wing doesn't need the former at all* and needs the latter a lot less than a single-seat snubfighter.

*there is canonical evidence that some ships don't have good hyperdrive range and/or speed, and can still benefit from docking even just for longer hyperdrive range/better speed (the N1 docking onto one of the royal carriers) but it seems a little pointless for the U wing, especially when it's only about 1/3 the length of the Gonz in the first place.

It would make a lot more sense for like... A wings. But even then, it doesn't necessarily make a huge amount of sense, the reason the Empire uses ship carriers is that the bulk of its line ships don't have hyperdrives, particularly Fighters and Bombers.

I’ve figured it out.

for my background story the fleet is primarily a planetary defense force which means patrolling near space for long periods since they don’t have access to any advanced space based sensors, old fashioned patrols are necessary, but they don’t go far enough to really justify using the hyperdrive

And here is my take on the First Order Gozanti:

7FVPhM5.jpg

2KNtjU5.jpg

„Vector“

fbZVbnJ.jpg

More

sorry for potato quality pics