So what next?

By copperbell, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

Will they dare make a Last Jedi Beginner set or focus on Battlefront 2 with Iden & co?

It would in part depend upon how well sales-wise the TFA Beginner Box did for FFG to determine if it's worth the time and resources to develop a fifth starter set for what is a fairly well established product line at this point.

While the fact they did a TFA starter box surprised me, in retrospect I can see why as TFA was at the fore-front of a media blitz, and while a bit late (to the tune of nearly a year), having a starter box that was linked to a successful (both critically and financially) movie wasn't a bad idea, as it would help to draw in potential new customers with something they could readily identify, especially those that weren't inherently familiar with the setting. Edge, Age, and F&D each require a bit of buy-in and some inherent familiarity with Star Wars as a setting. TFA didn't quite need as much, as the setting was generally new to everyone and so nobody really knew where the story was going to go from the point where the film ended.

There's also the matter that FFG has Genesys in production, and a new version of L5R currently in Beta, so they may not have the resources available.

Plus, there's the matter of asking "at what point is producing more Beginner Box sets for an established game line?"

Note they didn't do a dedicated Beginner Box for Rogue One, though I guess it could be said that the AoR Beginner Box is thematically close enough.

I expect we'll see an Era sourcebook after Episode IX.

-Nate

On 12/18/2017 at 6:12 PM, Nate said:

I expect we'll see an Era sourcebook after Episode IX.

-Nate

Yeah, especially given how things got shaken up quite notably in TLJ.

What core book would you all recommend to continue on with the characters from the starter box? I'm thinking some Rebellion Era adventure modules tweaked for Resistance and FO stuff. Sound about right?

7 hours ago, Admiral Theia said:

What core book would you all recommend to continue on with the characters from the starter box? I'm thinking some Rebellion Era adventure modules tweaked for Resistance and FO stuff. Sound about right?

If you're looking to stick with Resistance vs. First Order as the main theme of the campaign, then probably the Age of Rebellion core book is your best bet.

Of course, it's worth noting that two of the pre-gens were made using Edge of the Empire careers as their base, so you'll have to make a judgment call on whether it's worth trying to rebuild them using AoR careers and specs, or pick up the EotE core book as well. Or just let those two PCs "retire" from the action and have their players make new AoR PCs with the same amount of earned XP.

How about investigating the site of Luke Skywalker's Academy perhaps on Yavin IV?

Throw in exploring the old rebel base, finding Iden's crashed TIE and maybe run into a Knight of Ren trying to use them to locate Luke in case they overlooked something?