Latari Elves primer ?

By namelessone81, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Hallo all

I was wondering what color primer did you use for the army (Like the utramarine blue of the Daqan) and if anyone knows if there is a paint guide like the one of the core set armies

Thank you I got it now :)

White, as I always do.

Latari are very slight figures, you will not gain much by priming with a primer+paint mix to cheat your base coat, unlike say, daqan. There really isn't much of any particular colour on them to save you much time at all.

Zenithal style (non-Latari not doing them or Daqan)... black base, grey at 45 degrees, white from top. Using an airbrush vs spray can.

I did mine in army painter uniform grey. Now it's cold outside and I'm using a brush on white. The end result is nearly identical.

5 hours ago, Jukey said:

I did mine in army painter uniform grey. Now it's cold outside and I'm using a brush on white. The end result is nearly identical.

But I can do mine in my basement year round. :D

31 minutes ago, Aetheriac said:

But I can do mine in my basement year round. :D

Showoff, with your... Basement

6 hours ago, Jukey said:

6 hours ago, Jukey said:

6 hours ago, Jukey said:

Yeah I think uniform grey is the one I will make them too

And we don’t have any cold problems here in Greece ;)

It gets warm enough in the afternoons here in S. Oregon to spray.

I primed almost all (I did a couple of Scions in oak brown, but that was too dark) in white, and white was the main color theme, so for me, that paid off like the Daqan.

this was my "army on parade" that shows off all that white (Elven bows are white, plus capes, most of the cats, if not all)...

4HFJBan.jpg

I want to get another Scion expansion (or 2) and do 1 tree in white with Gold leaves and silver mushrooms, some green (light, light green) branches.

I decided to paint my Daqan's green, my first ever green army, and discovered that green is very difficult to paint on a dark undercoat, requiring many layers to make it look even. For this reason alone, I'd recommend priming white, or a lighter green base coat.

Also, I don't feel like paint layers adhere to Army Painter's primer very well. So unless the base color is a really significant % of the model, I wouldn't recommend it. As others have said, the Latari models are slight and there's not a ton of green area that you'll be painting, so maybe it's best to use a better, white primer.

2 hours ago, Elliphino said:

I decided to paint my Daqan's green, my first ever green army, and discovered that green is very difficult to paint on a dark undercoat, requiring many layers to make it look even. For this reason alone, I'd recommend priming white, or a lighter green base coat.

Also, I don't feel like paint layers adhere to Army Painter's primer very well. So unless the base color is a really significant % of the model, I wouldn't recommend it. As others have said, the Latari models are slight and there's not a ton of green area that you'll be painting, so maybe it's best to use a better, white primer.

I didn't know if it was just me or not, but I agree - 1/2 the army painter paints, I've just given up and do 2 coats to start.

The first "thin as possible" coat as to not eliminate detail, then a "actually cover the primer" coat, otherwise I found myself glopping on paint to get it to cover (glopping is a technical term :) ).

6 hours ago, Adun42 said:

I didn't know if it was just me or not, but I agree - 1/2 the army painter paints, I've just given up and do 2 coats to start.

The first "thin as possible" coat as to not eliminate detail, then a "actually cover the primer" coat, otherwise I found myself glopping on paint to get it to cover (glopping is a technical term :) ).

This has been my experience too. I feel like Runewars minis have details that are chunky enough that they can withstand some glopping, but mostly I just find it annoying.

22 hours ago, Adun42 said:

2 coats is very normal for any paint. Even the most covering of colours.

Edited by Darthain
Fern spells

The airbrush priming lets me really make sure I get a good coat on and doesn't glop. Even when a section gets a bit too much, I can hit it with a small blast of air and it dries nice and tight to the models. I'm using Vellejo Black and White primers.

Per the great paint god Duncan, always do two thin coats. I'm going to go with a white undercoat and do up my Lateri like the old WFB Wood Elves schemes. Going with red/silver for Daqan, tan/bone/obsidian for Uthuk and gold armor for Waiqar...