Akodo Commander Rank 1 leveling makes no sense - Warrior's Resolve issues

By Ockbald, in Balance Issues

All right so there are 2 techniques that you may take to level up as an Akodo Commander. 2 techniques in the school curriculum a newbie Akodo Commander may take to please his teachers and continue own his path to greatness:
- Iron Forest Style
Which he cannot take because it's a rank 2 technique. Meaning only a multi-school character would benefit from this entry. Is this on purpose? Seems weird.
- Warrior's Resolve
Which makes no sense for a Lion samurai to learn, since it goes against everything the Lion is about. It is a technique that punishes a warrior-type character for having honor. Allow me to explain - It reads:
"Description: The bushi draws a deep breath, exhaling as they rise to their
feet. Pain can be conquered so long as there is a duty to be done, they
remind
themself
, for honor is stronger than steel."
The flavor, the concept described here is very Lion-like. This is not the issue.
"Prerequisites: School rank 1 XP Cost: 3"
Neither this - This is fine.

"Activation: Once per scene, as a Support action, you may spend 1 Void
point to recover from incapacitation."

"Effects: Heal wounds until your total wounds are equal to your resilience
minus your honor rank."

Which means this is a powerful technique for a character who has very low honor, for it will heal wounds for its resilience minus its honor rank.
Now I don't think the mechanic of this particular technique is wrong, or broken. I rather like how it plays out. However, it is not in line with the Akodo Commander. And it's description is misleading for Honor takes away from his healing power.

2 hours ago, Ockbald said:

- Iron Forest Style
Which he cannot take because it's a rank 2 technique. Meaning only a multi-school character would benefit from this entry. Is this on purpose? Seems weird.

p44, Prerequisites : "To purchase an advancement, a character must meet all of its prerequisites or the advancement must be listed in the character’s current school rank."

Emphasis on "OR"

2 hours ago, Ockbald said:

Which means this is a powerful technique for a character who has very low honor, for it will heal wounds for its resilience minus its honor rank.
Now I don't think the mechanic of this particular technique is wrong, or broken. I rather like how it plays out. However, it is not in line with the Akodo Commander. And it's description is misleading for Honor takes away from his healing power.

"Wounds" have been renamed "Fatigue", which is more in line with what it does (real wounds are critical strikes)
With Warrior's Resolve, a bushi keeps going on, despite exhaustion.

50 minutes ago, Exarkfr said:

p44, Prerequisites : "To purchase an advancement, a character must meet all of its prerequisites or the advancement must be listed in the character’s current school rank."

Emphasis on "OR"

"Wounds" have been renamed "Fatigue", which is more in line with what it does (real wounds are critical strikes)
With Warrior's Resolve, a bushi keeps going on, despite exhaustion.

Thanks for clearing the first issue.
The second issue, however, is still prevalent? Isn't it better for you to have less honor to make Warrior's Resolve to heal more fatigue?

No. I too thought that high honor made the technique worse, but it makes it better. Remember, you heal fatigue until your total fatigue is equal to your endurance minus your honor rank. Your endurance is your "maximum hit points," so if you have an honor rank of zero, you wouldn't heal anything. With an honor rank of five, you'd be able to take six fatigue before becoming incapacitated again. With an honor rank of 10, you'd be able to take 11 fatigue before becoming incapacitated again.

The wording is awkward. The benefit of honor would be easier to understand if the technique said something like "heal fatigue equal to your honor rank," but then it would be less effective when your fatigue exceeds your endurance by a considerable margin, especially for characters with average honor.

35 minutes ago, Ockbald said:

The second issue, however, is still prevalent? Isn't it better for you to have less honor to make Warrior's Resolve to heal more fatigue?

Fatigue starts from 0 and goes UP to Resilience.
Warrior Resolve will "heal" you from Resilience down to (Resilience - Honour)
So higher Honour is better.

3 hours ago, Ockbald said:

"Effects: Heal wounds until your total wounds are equal to your resilience
minus your honor rank."

Which means this is a powerful technique for a character who has very low honor, for it will heal wounds for its resilience minus its honor rank .

You don’t heal wounds for your resilience minus honor rank. You heal wounds until your total wounds (which you want to be low) is equal to your resilience minus honor rank.

I guess it's a good thing I haven't reached combat on my playtest yet, I need to review the system. For some reason, I assumed "resilience" was your health pool.

1 hour ago, Ockbald said:

I guess it's a good thing I haven't reached combat on my playtest yet, I need to review the system. For some reason, I assumed "resilience" was your health pool.

It kind of is. If you take more accumulated wounds than your resilience + 10, you die.

You get Unconscious, not die.

2 minutes ago, WHW said:

You get Unconscious, not die.

That’s correct, yes. Death requires criticals.

4 hours ago, nameless ronin said:

That’s correct, yes. Death requires criticals.

Actually cutting someone is a crit. Successful attacks that don't crit merely result in fatigue.... not actual telling blows. At most, it's minor bangs to armor.

It's worth reminding that crit at Fatigue > Endurance is +5 severity (from incapacitated). At Fatigue > (10 + Endurance), it's +10 severity (from unconscious).

I'm not sure (can't check it now), but wasn't the entire text of Incapacitated replaced with a new one? That would remove the +5 Severity from it.

@WHW yep. Missed that; Update 3. The effects field is totally replaced (p 171) Which includes the +5.

Unconscious is still +10, tho.

I am uncertain if reducing the severity is allowed or not while incapacitated; the wording changes are not terribly clear.

I think you can still make rolls to “resist effects” (including reducing crits) while incapacitated, as before. But now, any crit received while incapacitated results in the Unconscious condition.