Letter of the Law vs Spirit of the Law

By McTavish, in Legends of the Alliance

Scenario:
Stormtrooper's activation, single figure
Finn is 12 spaces away behind two turns, 9 spaces to get to LoS.
Trooper is 10 spaces way with LoS in the opposite direction as Finn.

Instruction:
-*> Move 2 to attack <<Finn>>
--> Move 2 reposition 4
--> Move 6 reposition 4

By the Letter of the Law (as I understand it) #1 would trigger but targeting the trooper (no LoS to Finn). The Stormy would advance two toward the trooper, roll for a crappy but technically valid chance of hitting the trooper, then move two more toward the trooper.

Same scenario except with the trooper 11 spaces way: #1 is skipped. Stormy moves two toward the trooper, then moves 5 more to get 4 spaces away from the trooper and ends his activation w/o ever taking a shot.

I've been playing by more of a Spirit of the Law where if the attack is not viable I'll skip to a move for the first action, then go back to the attack if the move makes it viable. So in the scenario I would still go after the trooper because Finn is unobtainable on this turn. I would then Move 2 toward the trooper, then move 2 again and fire as the second action (with better hit odds and the same end movement). If both Finn and the trooper are unobtainable I would move 8 toward Finn as he was the primary target.

The other scenario I have run into is if an Imperial Officer and Royal Guard get paired up a long way away from the action they'll just sit down and play patty-cake because they like being next to each other so much. I have at least been leap-frogging them toward the rebels but it slow to say the least.

So, Have I miss interpreted something? I'm I over thinking things? What are your thoughts in general?

From a RAW perspective, instructions are resolved from top to bottom (page 14). The Imperial rule only triggers when resolving the instructions, it has no impact on the order of instructions.

I'd be totally okay with your "Letter of the Law" example. I think one of the biggest charms about the app (and it's something I'm just getting used to) is the fact that some Imperial activations will be less than optimal. And that's okay . Factor in peril effects, spawns and bonus effects (maybe next turn that stormtrooper will get an extra die for the attack) and that one "wasted" activation won't matter so much in the long run.

That being said, many other players are stretching the Imperial Rule so your "Spirit of the Law" example is also correct. I guess it all depends if you feel the game is too easy and need to make sure Imperial figures are bringing their A-game. My only issue with this example is that I think it would bog the game down.

Can we introduce a new rules interpretation for app play? I call it the RAD interpretation (rules as desired).

Play however you want to play.