Kyle Ren's Repaint Thread

By Kyle Ren, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Sorry everyone, this is going to be an enourmous blitz of stuff (*edit: moved the ships to seperate posts, thanks for the suggestion, Force Majeure!*), I painted a lot of these a while ago but I was simply too lazy to bother getting an image hosting account set up. I'll just start at the beginning and move forward.

I'm kind of new to painting, so any comments/suggestions are more than welcome!

Before these my customization was limited to Sharpie Markers, but I'll just put the ones I used real paints on in here! :)

First up there's some Z-95s. I painted these a while back (about a year ago), and the first one had a broken peg so I figured that it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I ruined it (since I own three copies of Most Wanted anyway :P ).

dc285ce26ebd4a182d3955edb6c4a859.jpg

Still feel bad that I never bothered fixing that peg. Oh well. Maybe later. Moving on... I learned a bit from that first Z-95 and decided to paint another rusty Z-95 with a yellow scheme.

74afd2107e587e03231a4562ecf56fe3.jpg a1c237e09847d1acc074d5eed060a363.jpg

Welp, thanks for looking! Any suggestions/comments would be more than welcome! Cheers!

Edited by Kyle Ren

Great work! I really like that x-wing you did. The only thing I would suggest is a lighter second coat of paint on the hwk-290 (I have worked with them before and they seem to need a second coat) but besides that, excellent work. :D

Two suggestions/comments about your ships and one about your posts:

1) Don't rush. It comes across as though you might be hurrying to finish since there are some places where you may have missed a spot or two.

2) Thin your paints. It doesn't have to be much, but when you've overloaded your brush with paint, it blobs up and gets on the model too thick. What then happens is it takes longer for it to dry, and it potentially muddies up details in the sculpt.

Your instincts are spot on; the rusted out Zeds, X, Jumpmaster, etc. have lots of character and presence. You just need to tighten up and get a little more control. But after looking at your first Z compared to your Starwing, it looks like you're well on your way in that regard.

3) This one is about posting. Maybe in the future you can post one or two different ships per post. It just makes it easier to comment about specific ships and what we like.

Glad to see fresh takes on old ships. Good work!

Edited by Force Majeure
1 hour ago, Fort Defender said:

Great work! I really like that x-wing you did. The only thing I would suggest is a lighter second coat of paint on the hwk-290 (I have worked with them before and they seem to need a second coat) but besides that, excellent work. :D

Thanks! Great suggestion. I'll keep that in mind, I've noticed a few of the other ships seem to need more coats, depending on how they were originally painted.

58 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Two suggestions/comments about your ships and one about your posts:

1) Don't rush. It comes across as though you might be hurrying to finish since there are some places where you may have missed a spot or two.

2) Thin your paints. It doesn't have to be much, but when you've overloaded your brush with paint, it blobs up and gets on the model too thick. What then happens is it takes longer for it to dry, and it potentially muddies up details in the sculpt.

Your instincts are spot on; the rusted out Zeds, X, Jumpmaster, etc. have lots of character and presence. You just need to tighten up and get a little more control. But after looking at your first Z compared to your Starwing, it looks like you're well on your way in that regard.

3) This one is about posting. Maybe in the future you can post one or two different ships per post. It just makes it easier to comment about specific ships and what we like.

Glad to see fresh takes on old ships. Good work!

Wow, thanks! For (1), yeah, these were not all my best work, like I said, some of these are a couple years old, I just kinda wanted them here for posterity to contrast with later work and show what I've learned and what I still need to work on. For (2), that would be smart, I've been kinda lazy and haven't bothered to buy paint thinners yet. I'll be at the FLGS tonight, so I'll pick up a bottle then. As for (3), I wasn't sure what the etiquette was around here, I didn't want to seem like I was spamming the forums or something. Hold on a sec, I'll post the ships seperately below.

Thanks again, both of you! All your feedback is really appreciated!

*Moved from original post*

The next ship I painted was an X-Wing!

We were playing HotAC and I didn't feel like my character would really have his X-Wing painted like a Red Squadron Alliance noob. I still feel like this one is a little messy, but it fits the Scummy feel of some of the HotAC-like canpaigns I've played a bit more.

d57c81595657943828d36a65bc90b0db.jpg 0d80f05c8e7ea99a8d800aad16308814.jpg

It appears from some of the pics that you're using gloss paints. Try using matte paints and thin them down to the consistency of milk. You'll get a more even coat, but you may have to do more than one coat to get the coverage. You will find it will go on easier and faster though.

Anything that you specifically want to have a shiny finish, use a gloss varnish instead of a gloss colour. The only thing that I paint with a gloss is cockpit glazing. On models so small, a gloss creates too much shine and hides any detail.

This is another older work of mine.

I got my dad to paint some Jumpmasters with me. I flew triple torpscouts (back before I realized it was an NPE grudgefest and went back to flying Keyan Farlander or somesuch Rebel jank) and hated having three Punishing Ones. Even in my "Torpscouts are fair and balanced, yay!" levels of naivety, I realised that it seemed aesthetically wrong!

Anyway, mine was a rusty scheme. Not sure I really like how the front of that turned out, but it was meant to look like it had been painted blue at some point.

aeef8d46a9d3b26f7225fc5603bada08.jpg 6eb48d449e3f7e5d59a142ff2469ae47.jpg

My dad and his brother painted WWII models when they were teenagers, so my dad took a trip down memory lane and painted it camouflage, with forest camo on the top and sky camo on the bottom. So the thread title is a lie, this one is actually not mine. But I wish it was, because that's really cool.

967a66c3f3968068515063240376dc57.jpg 46547a7288b64bba8f346fcc9d02f9f6.jpg

4 minutes ago, Parravon said:

It appears from some of the pics that you're using gloss paints. Try using matte paints and thin them down to the consistency of milk. You'll get a more even coat, but you may have to do more than one coat to get the coverage. You will find it will go on easier and faster though.

Anything that you specifically want to have a shiny finish, use a gloss varnish instead of a gloss colour. The only thing that I paint with a gloss is cockpit glazing. On models so small, a gloss creates too much shine and hides any detail.

Thanks! Yeah, I don't really like them that much but they're what my hobby store sold and I didn't feel like buying new ones. Is there a way to un-gloss them (like a coat or something)?

Next up, I painted a Green Squadron Y-Wing, because I kinda hated having more than one of Kavil's Y-Wing from Most Wanted.

74c1b7539ba60f5849f2a2c1e1a1797f.jpg ec7c4e6123c4f8369622779f7d37e748.jpg

*moved from original post*

For my next project, I un-scummed a HWK, imagining it as a Coruscanti Police ship or something (Imperial HWKs, yeah!!!). I also ended up liking the look so much that I used it for my ship in a HotAC campaign.

2a030e4f318e02749f93e2aca89e50c5.jpg 12680091af69f1b2533378f3d98eff79.jpg

*moved from original post*

Following the principle of the Jumpmasters (no clones of famous bounty hunters!) I decided to repaint my second Firespray.

924fa45965c739addf14a276d602053c.jpg 9c24de1e7ffe3ee8104773609b5594c9.jpg a0df45a6ee36ba224529438e6fa3a3f5.jpg

Phew, finally up to current-day! After a year-plus hiatus (stupid Rebellion/Destiny/Armada/Imperial Assault! Why are you all so fun?), just yesterday, I started on a bumblebee-themed GUNBOAT Squadron. I like it a lot, so I'm going to work on the other two as soon as final exams are over.

86ad274a9499c89b5bc4f8bfcbcbe1e5.jpg 698b9d1ddae5bf1361c6ac8d1ae5d098.jpg

1 hour ago, Kieransi said:

I've been kinda lazy and haven't bothered to buy paint thinners yet.

For the most part all you need to do is add a drop or two of water. You can pick up a bottle of... I can't remember! Something medium? God blessed! You can use it to thin out your paint and/or make a glaze.

Somebody help.

43 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

For the most part all you need to do is add a drop or two of water. You can pick up a bottle of... I can't remember! Something medium? God blessed! You can use it to thin out your paint and/or make a glaze.

Somebody help.

Thanks for the suggestion! I had done that in past when I painted a MelMiniatures YV-929, but water didn't seem to work with my enamel paints yesterday. Are enamels hydrophobic, or is it just another side effect of this cold Colorado air?

You know, I really like what you're doing. Almost impressionistic. I say keep it up. Maybe study some of the weathering techniques discussed by other folks here on the forum - that sort of thing can tone down any perceived errors. Helps me no end.

Concerning the glossiness you've got going on, you can try using a matte spray coat. Sometimes that can overcome gloss paint.

Keep it up! Show us more!

Whoops, sorry. Most people here tend to use acrylic paint for its ease of use, which since it is water based can be watered down... with water. I just assumed it was what you were using.

I'm afraid that the only thing I know about enamel paints is that the mineral spirits/paint thinner can eat up the plastic used on the ships.

10 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Whoops, sorry. Most people here tend to use acrylic paint for its ease of use, which since it is water based can be watered down... with water. I just assumed it was what you were using.

I'm afraid that the only thing I know about enamel paints is that the mineral spirits/paint thinner can eat up the plastic used on the ships.

They're not super fun to use, either, and they smell bad. Which is why on your guys' suggestions (and the suggestions of others I showed the GUNBOAT to), I decided to buy some nice new acrylic paints! So I'll be working on fixing up that GUNBOAT, and hopefully have some new photos of that later this week!

Thanks again for all your help! I'm sure I'll be needing more as I try to figure out how to make these acrylics work for me! :)

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

They're not super fun to use, either, and they smell bad. Which is why on your guys' suggestions (and the suggestions of others I showed the GUNBOAT to), I decided to buy some nice new acrylic paints! So I'll be working on fixing up that GUNBOAT, and hopefully have some new photos of that later this week!

Thanks again for all your help! I'm sure I'll be needing more as I try to figure out how to make these acrylics work for me! :)

Acrylic MODEL paints. not art supplies stuff. Try the Citadel range.

6 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Cool! So, here's a tip about painting forgiveness: if you clear-coat, you can just paint over the previous layer of paint without any general ill effect, unless your paints weren't thinned enough. I have some models that are onto their fourth layer of paint without significant loss of detail. Matte clear-coat, weather up, and another layer of matte, and I reckon you have some gorgeous paints there. I mean, I *really* like the effects you have going on.

To @Parravon 's comment above, don't be too afraid of standard painter's acrylics, if that's what you have access to. I have some that I use that achieve a lovely jewel-tone effect. It all depends on what you want to see.

Thanks everyone! Again, much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Parravon said:

Acrylic MODEL paints. not art supplies stuff. Try the Citadel range.

Yeah, that's what I got, some Citadel acrylics. I also got a huge bottle of Nuln Oil and some Purity Seal model varnish. I might try at least sealing that GUNBOAT so that the paints I have on there don't outgas so much, and I'll probably flatten out the colors a bit and give it a wash with the Nuln Oil. Planning on having that done this weekend.

5 hours ago, Kleeg005 said:

Cool! So, here's a tip about painting forgiveness: if you clear-coat, you can just paint over the previous layer of paint without any general ill effect, unless your paints weren't thinned enough. I have some models that are onto their fourth layer of paint without significant loss of detail. Matte clear-coat, weather up, and another layer of matte, and I reckon you have some gorgeous paints there. I mean, I *really* like the effects you have going on.

To @Parravon 's comment above, don't be too afraid of standard painter's acrylics, if that's what you have access to. I have some that I use that achieve a lovely jewel-tone effect. It all depends on what you want to see.

Thanks! Yeah, I've found paints are actually pretty forgiving in terms of what can give you fun results. I've even gotten some pretty nice results with Sharpies and Dry Erase Markers in the past! I might still continue using the enamel paints for some of the metallic parts of the ships, I actually really like how they look. My major beef with them is that I'm pretty sure I'm killing brain cells by inhaling that stuff. And my family won't let me paint in the house with them (a smart call) which means all painting with those has got to be outside (not so fun in December!). And I'm looking forward to using paints that I can actually thin. That'll be nice. :P

Cheers! Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Edited by Kieransi

Shared these on the GUNBOAT showcase as well, but I figured I'd put them here for posterity as well. I finished up Bumblebee Squadron yesterday while I was on a Star Wars high from watching TLJ for a second time! Here's the first one, which is the one I've already done but with some nice acrylics to take the shine out. And a healthy helping of Nuln Oil.

de2ce2cc7bf06d5d8738b8715e999b08.jpg d6fe74d600526f0e282cd95c9c0bd05d.jpg

Here's the next one, the squad leader. He's got a lot more of that dark grey paint on there to make him look a little more intimidating.

230260af756333290ca9c0411d94f935.jpg ae929363bf524703374a2e891f695624.jpg

Finally, the ace. She has bloodstripes painted on her GUNBOAT. Also a lot more yellow, which, although a weird color to work with, looks nice on these ships for some reason.

8702c26e3280975df574839cd1ac702f.jpg cdfa9c81ddced6a9379c3a30e5fbae6c.jpg 04e66887e604e6995f3afed45fce52a6.jpg

Here's the whole squad flying in formation:

220d9588410800f640f32292747674d1.jpg

Hey, everyone! Just finished painting a GUNBOAT to match the scheme from the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing: Alliance games!

bb962a3952e4f48449f16a951805fc93.jpg 461e82a7d6ea844d1f096beab99f34c7.jpg f47240afebcb02e9dac5e45784459cdd.jpg