Rule clarification?

By fallenram, in Grimm RPG

So I ran my first Grimm's session the other night. I believe it ran quite well but would like to smooth out the system a bit. The resident rules lawyer and I disagreed on disadvantages. He believes they effect the roll. I say no they reduce your grade level or the total result. Of course I cannot for my life find the reference to disadvantages in the book. Advantages are quite clear so I figure you just reverse the direction for disadvantages? Anyone have any ideers?

Also I was thinking of just applying all disadvantages as advantages to the opponent or difficulty. So like with stature there are only advantages. It is just a matter of who they help, the PC or the challenge/enemy. What do you think?

-Thanks.

Game on...

Fallenram you are correct, a disadvantage lowers the player's level for that type of test. It doesn't lower the actual Trait per se, just the tests that they make with it - unlike expending a trait which does actually lower the trait. I can't find where it says that exactly in the book, either. This is typical of Fantasy Flight rulebooks. You spend a lot of time searching for rules that really should have been organized in a clear place.