Custom Setting: Genesys Eberron

By SladeWeston, in Genesys

Good afternoon. Eberron has been my favorite campaign setting since it was released back in D&D 3.5. D&D on the otherhand hasn't interested me since I found SWRPG. Now with Genesys out I figure I can finally bring together my favorite setting with my favorite system.

Eventually I'd like to bundle all of these ideas up into a PDF and give it away. Unfortunately, the wife got to my Genesys book first (Thanks Amazon wish list) and I am forced to work with scanned images until Christmas. So I figured, why not knock out some of the low hanging fruit of any setting. This post will be on the Races of Eberron but if people seem interested in them I'll like post on other topics.

|B|A|I|C|W|P|WT|ST|EXP
Warforged  |3|2|2|1|2|1|10|10| 80
Shifter    |2|2|2|3|2|1|11| 9| 90
Changling  |2|2|2|2|2|2| 8|10|100
Dragonborn |3|2|1|2|2|2|11| 8| 90
Kalashtar  |2|2|2|2|2|2| 9|12|100
Elf        |2|3|2|2|1|2| 8|12| 90
Drow       |2|2|2|2|1|3| 8|11| 90
Dwarf      |2|1|2|2|3|2|12|10| 90
Halfling   |1|3|2|2|2|2|10|10| 90
Half-elf   |2|2|2|2|2|2| 9|11|100
Gnome      |1|2|3|2|2|2|10|11| 90
Half-orc   |3|2|1|3|2|1|11| 9| 80

Warforged

3-2-2-1-2-1

W: 10+Brawn S: 10+Will XP: 80

Special Ability: Warforged don’t need to eat, sleep, or breathe and are
unaffected by toxins and poisons.

Partially Organic : Since Warforged are made up of both organic and inorganic components, they can recover with either a medicine or repair check although the difficulty of either check are increased by one. Warforged may gain the benefits of both a repair and a medical check when healing wounds. Warforged recover naturally by resting (system self repair). Warforged start the game with one rank in Enduring talent. When making an attack targeting the Warforged, the Critical rating of any weapon used counts as 1 higher.

Shifter

2-2-2-3-2-1

W:11+Brawn S: 9+Will XP:

Species Option

• Longtooth Shifter: 1 Rank Athletics
  • Razorclaw Shifter: 1 Rank Stealth

Shift: Shifters may take a maneuver and suffer one strain to gain the following benefits until the end of the encounter:

• Longtooth Shifter: 1 Rank Resilience, Feral Strength Talent
  • Razorclaw Shifter: 1 Rank Coordination, May use claws when brawling ,their attack deals +1 point of damage and has a Crit Rating of 2

Changling

2-2-2-2-2-2

W:8+Brawn S: 10+Will XP:100

1 Rank Deception

As an action, suffer 2 strain to change players appearance to match that of a silhouette 1 character that has previously been seen.

Dragonborn

3-1-2-2-2-2

W: 11+Brawn S: 8+Will XP: 90

1 Rank Knowledge:History or Coercion

Dragon Breath: Dragonborn have a elemental breath weapon they can call upon when threatened.

(Damage 6; Critical 4; Range [Short]; Blast 3, Slow-Firing 2, elemental: acid (Pierce 2), cold (Ensnare 1), electricity (Disorient 3),sonic (Concussive 1,Stun Dmg), or fire (Burn 2), chosen at character creation)

Each time the Dragonborn uses this ability, he suffers 3 strain. The element of this attack corresponds to their dragon heritage.

Kalashtar

2-2-2-2-2-2

W: 9+Brawn S: 12+Will XP: 100

1 Rank Psionic Skill

Kalashtar Mindlink - As a maneuver, a Kalashtar can take 2 strain to initiate a telepathic link with a sentient creature within Medium range. While this bond remains active the Kalashtar can communicate normally without making sounds. This does not grant any special form of understand if the two do not share a language. This link remains until the end of the encounter. A Kalashtar may only maintain one link at a time.

OR

Sense Emotions: Add to Charm, Coercion, and Deception checks unless the target is immune to magic or is not sentient.

Elf

2-3-2-2-1-2

W: 8+Brawn S: 12+Will XP: 90

Bonus Talent: Uncanny Senses

Sub-species:

• Aerenal - 1 Rank Knowledge: History, 1 Rank Perception
  • Valenar - 1 Rank Riding, 1 Rank Any Weapon Skill, Antisocial: Auto threat on non-coercion social checks, auto advantage on coercion checks
  • Khoravar - 1 Rank Stealth, 1 Rank Streetwise

Drow

2-2-2-2-1-3

W: 8+Brawn S: 11+Will XP: 90
1 Rank Survival, 1 Rank Coercion, Darkvision

Dwarf

2-1-2-2-3-2

W: 12+Brawn S: 10+Will XP: 90

1 Rank Resilience, Bonus Talent: Hard Headed, Darkvision

Halfling

1-3-2-2-2-2

W: 10+Brawn S: 10+Will XP: 90

1 Rank Survival or Charm, 1 Rank Medicine, Bonus Talent: Confidence, Sil 0

Half-elf

2-2-2-2-2-2

W: 9+Brawn S: 11+Will XP: 100

1 Rank Perception, 1 Rank Any Social, Bonus Talent: Nobody's Fool

Gnome

1-2-3-2-2-2

W: 10+Brawn S: 11+Will XP: 90

Bonus Talent: Eye for Detail, 1 Rank Mechanics OR Arcane, Sil 0

Half-Orc

3-2-1-3-2-1

W: 11+Brawn S: 9+Will XP: 80

1 Rank Survival, Wounded Rage (Wookiee Ability)

So that is my first pass at them. Please feel free to provide feedback, critics, or wild flaming insults as the mood strikes you. I'm still a little iffy on how I'm going to do Psionics which could change Kalashtar a lot. I'm also not thrilled about my Stat distribution among the various races but that could get better once I knock out Goblinoids. Also, I'm not overly concerned about balance with the SWRPG races as much as I am with how the races are balanced with each other. Thanks in advance.

Edited by SladeWeston
Formatting, there has got to be a better way to make a table

This is reasonably unreadable.

Chiming in with some of my first thoughts for "Easy Conversions" of the Races, or at least the base from where I would start developing the races

Warforged->Bioroid OR Robot

Shifters->Mongrel OR Animalistic Alien

Kalashtar->Psionic

Edited by Cyvaris
1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

This is reasonably unreadable.

Sorry, I pulled that text from my Reddit post on it and forgot how different the formatting was. Honest it would have been readable there. :P

The Clawdite has to do an Average Resilience check and spend 3 Strain to change, perhaps the Changeling should, too.

4 hours ago, Grimmerling said:

The Clawdite has to do an Average Resilience check and spend 3 Strain to change, perhaps the Changeling should, too.

Thank you for your feedback but this was an intentional choice I made because felt Clawdites don't quite fit with the flavor of Changlings. There are plenty of text describing them as effortlessly changing forms. Having seen them (Clawdites) in action at the table I am confident that my modification is fine. Having a player make a near unfailable check several times during a session is a waste of time and just makes a player feel screwed the one time they do fail it. Besides, by removing the check, I was able to remove the need to grant resilience as a skill which I feel doesn't fit well with Changlings and made room for a bonus social skill.

As a side note, I will have them make a social check, likely deception, when attempting to impersonate someone. A check that I required of the Clawdites too of course but I just wanted to point out that I don't plan on granting them a check free way to perfectly impersonate someone.

Some points:

Warforged: A net -1 to stats and yet only 80 XP to start with? Sure, immunity to poison is nice as well as crit-resistance, but I'm not sure it's worth that much.

Shifter: I'm not sure giving temporary skill ranks is a good idea - it feels odd. I haven't read all the Star Wars sourcebooks, but I think that's a very uncommon, perhaps non-existent effect. Perhaps a boost die or two instead? Or perhaps increase the stat instead (Brawn for Longtooth and Agility for Razorclaw)? You could probably also work out some of the other shifter types - I think the ECS had like five of them?

Elf: I think "Khoravar" is a term that specifically refers to half-elves - so named because they're the result of interbreeding between elves from Aerenal (and before that, Xen'drik) and humans from Sarlona, which only took place once both races had arrived on Khorvaire. Elves who have assimilated into Five Nations culture are usually referred to "Khorvaire" elves.

1 hour ago, Dacke said:

Some points:

Warforged: A net -1 to stats and yet only 80 XP to start with? Sure, immunity to poison is nice as well as crit-resistance, but I'm not sure it's worth that much.

Shifter: I'm not sure giving temporary skill ranks is a good idea - it feels odd. I haven't read all the Star Wars sourcebooks, but I think that's a very uncommon, perhaps non-existent effect. Perhaps a boost die or two instead? Or perhaps increase the stat instead (Brawn for Longtooth and Agility for Razorclaw)? You could probably also work out some of the other shifter types - I think the ECS had like five of them?

Elf: I think "Khoravar" is a term that specifically refers to half-elves - so named because they're the result of interbreeding between elves from Aerenal (and before that, Xen'drik) and humans from Sarlona, which only took place once both races had arrived on Khorvaire. Elves who have assimilated into Five Nations culture are usually referred to "Khorvaire" elves.

Great points. I've made a note to address all of them on my second pass.

Okay, I've decided I need to go back and do some research. I built most of my races by memory based on SWRPG balance. I've made a second pass on them with a focus on recreating their D&D feel. This time I paid more attention on the math shooting for about 240-245xp. I'll start with the Warforged. The main changes here were to align better with the 3.5 Warforged while streamlining things a bit. When I crunched the math I found that my original WF was indeed a bit weak. Shooting for a power level of 240xp, I was able to add a Slam attack and the Warforged "don't bleed out" effect. Lastly, I used the template to make a Warforged Scout which while somewhat niche was a player request.

Warforged v2.0

3-2-2-1-2-1 (110xp); 90xp; WT 14+Brawn (10xp), ST 10+Willpower

Artificial: Warforged do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and are unaffected by toxins and poisons. A warforged may have up to six components [cybernetics] installed on it without reducing its strain threshold.(10xp)

Composite Plating: Armor may be worn but counts towards component limit, bonus talent: Enduring

Light Fortification: (Bonus Talent: Durable)(5xp)

Living Construct: Healing Potions [Painkillers] restore one less wound. Heal [Medicine] checks and Healing spells used on a warforged have their difficulty increased by 1. Warforged can be "healed" by using the Craft [Mechanics] skill instead of the Heal skill, but otherwise following the guidelines detailed on page 116.(-5xp)

Slam: When making an unarmed combat check, Warforged add +1 to their base damage and have a Critical rating of 3.(5xp)

Power Down: Warforged do not take an automatic critical for exceeding their wound threshold. Over their WT they go inert and subsequent hits result in critical hits as usual.(5xp)

Warforged Scout

2-3-2-2-2-1 (130xp); 90xp; WT 10+Brawn, ST 10+Willpower

Artificial: Warforged do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and are unaffected by toxins and poisons. A warforged may have up to six components [cybernetics] installed on it without reducing its strain threshold.(10xp)

Composite Plating: Armor may be worn but counts towards component limit, bonus talent: Enduring

Light Fortification: (Bonus Talent: Durable)(5xp)

Living Construct: Healing Potions [Painkillers] restore one less wound. Heal [Medicine] checks and Healing spells used on a warforged have their difficulty increased by 1. Warforged can be "healed" by using the Craft [Mechanics] skill instead of the Heal skill, but otherwise following the guidelines detailed on page 116.(-5xp)

Silhouette 0

1 Rank Stealth (10xp)

Power Down: Warforged do not take an automatic critical for exceeding their wound threshold. Over their WT they go inert and subsequent hits result in critical hits as usual.(5xp)

Edited by SladeWeston

I guess Warforged shoud start with full 1 in all stats, like droids in Star Wars. I know D&D has a different approach with thi kind of race, but in Genesys is a bit different. Or something like 222111. In SW droids are ready to be used as a strong character due its singularities, your Eberron should start with it.

3 minutes ago, Bellyon said:

I guess Warforged shoud start with full 1 in all stats, like droids in Star Wars. I know D&D has a different approach with thi kind of race, but in Genesys is a bit different. Or something like 222111. In SW droids are ready to be used as a strong character due its singularities, your Eberron should start with it.

Why is that? Droid use a 1 stat block to represent their flexibility and the fact they were designed to perform a wide range of tasks. Warforged were designed for war. There would never protical warforged created with 1 agl, 1 brawn and 5 presence. I get that there is always the desire to take the easy way out and duplicate what was already made but I'm only willing to go that route if it makes sense for the setting. Is there a reason to go with a droid stat block apart from the comfort of going with something fully playtested?

My take on Warforged would be similar to the Bioroid in Genesys. Give them a 3 Brawn to represent them being made for battle, but 1's in everything else. Adjust starting XP as necessary. Any PC non-warrior Warforged would be a from a special production run aimed at a particular result... higher Agility and/or Cunning for scouts, higher Int for a spellcasting model, etc.

Alternatively, you do what they did for humans in the character creation area (archetypes) and define the specs of each production model designed for a specific task, emphasising one abilty score over the others. Brawn for a Brute, Agility for Artillery, Cunning for a Scout, INt for a Mage.. that sort of thing

The thing about warforged is that they're... weird. They're not robots made to specs - the artificers of house Cannith could guide their development, but they couldn't custom-design them. They were made using magic techniques from the Age of Giants, adapted to work with Cannith's creation forges, and the result was unpredictable. That's why you had warforged demanding their freedom after the War for which they were made - would Cannith have built such a thing into their creations if they could have avoided it?

There were different "models" of warforged beyond the base model after the setting expanded. Most were designed as front line soldiers for battle. As time went on though, there were speed/scout, spellcasters, and I believe a psionic version.

Additionally, there is the Lord of Blades, who could create any type of warforged from the last existing creation forge.

While this is not an argument to use the droid archetype for them, there is some premise to make more than one archetype for the race.

8 hours ago, SladeWeston said:

Why is that? Droid use a 1 stat block to represent their flexibility and the fact they were designed to perform a wide range of tasks. Warforged were designed for war. There would never protical warforged created with 1 agl, 1 brawn and 5 presence. I get that there is always the desire to take the easy way out and duplicate what was already made but I'm only willing to go that route if it makes sense for the setting. Is there a reason to go with a droid stat block apart from the comfort of going with something fully playtested?

Yes, there is '-' despite many of them were created to the warfare, they were created to every kind of labor and role, not only to physical work or melee combat. Eventhough 95% of them are created to be a warrior, it's not a rule per ser. They are constructs, created to be something. The metal plates over their bodies makes them to look more stronger they really are. So, if most of them became warriors, of course they'll upgrade Brawn. It's ok. And by the rule, this kind of creature needs more improvments to be as good as a human in anything. Like droids in Star Wars or Warforgeds in Eberron.

In 3rd they have +2 in Cons and +2 armor bonus, despite the light fortification. 4th they have +2 in Cons, Int or Strength, and +2 in Endurance and Intimidate. Im my opinion, it's not enough to provide 3 in Brawn, but looks good to have more W's, like 12. So even a weak warforged could resist more than an average humanoid. With the XP they can easily get Brawn 3 or 4 and rank 2 in few combat skills.

I agree it's uncommon to see a warforged with 5 in Presence, but it's easy to create a sidebox explaining the is very rare, but not impossible. A player who want to play with this should talk with the GM. Using the baseline of a droid in SW is great cause "represent their flexibility and the fact they were designed to perform a wide range of tasks" which I believe is true even to a warforged.

Wouldn’t the Bioroids from the SciFi setting in the core book be better for Warforged than droids would? Bioroids start out with 3 in Brawn and 1 in everything else, with 155 experience points to spend. That sounds like a good starting point for Warforged to me.

1 hour ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

Wouldn’t the Bioroids from the SciFi setting in the core book be better for Warforged than droids would? Bioroids start out with 3 in Brawn and 1 in everything else, with 155 experience points to spend. That sounds like a good starting point for Warforged to me.

I don't have the book yet, so I'm blind here for now.

1 minute ago, Bellyon said:

I don't have the book yet, so I'm blind here for now.

Bioroids

Characteristics

- Brawn 3, 1 everything else

Wound Threshold: 11 + Brawn

Strain Threshold: 8 + Willpower

Starting Experience: 155 xp

Special Abilities: Bioroids do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and are I effected by toxins and poisons. Bioroids do not reduce their strain Threshold when they receive cybernetics (in case of Bioroids, the cybernetics represent upgraded mechanical components instead of true cybernetics).

Inorganic: Since Bioroids are inorganic, they do not gain the benefits of healing wounds with painkillers or a Medicine check. Bioroids can heal wounds and strain naturally by resting, as their systems attempt self-repairs. Bioroids can also be “healed” by using the Mechanics skill instead of the Medicine skill.