Number of Players

By suburbaknght, in Battle for Rokugan

My local store called to say it's available for pickup tomorrow and I'll be getting it first thing. My only question is why is this a 2-5 player game? With 7 clans shouldn't this be able to handle up to 7?

There are 5 rounds in a game. If there were 7 players, 2 players would never be first player during a game. Plus, there are only 5 shugenja cards and 10 scout cards (2× each player) which these components are enough for only 5 players. These limitations seem easy enough to compensate for but don't know how it would turn out. Right now my biggest hang up are from a thematic point of view. I think that all 7 clans should be represented during the game, even if some clans would be represented simply as allies of other clans. Example: Why would the Dragon and Crab just abandon their lands while all the other clans battle across the entirety of Rokugan? I realize it's "just a game" but theme is what really draws me to the L5R IP. I'm hoping that the game will expand this for all 7 clans, or I'll have to figure out how to make this work for myself. I bought it, so now I can do what ever I want with it, so 7 factions it is.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:33 PM, HirumaShigure said:

There are 5 rounds in a game. If there were 7 players, 2 players would never be first player during a game. Plus, there are only 5 shugenja cards and 10 scout cards (2× each player) which these components are enough for only 5 players. These limitations seem easy enough to compensate for but don't know how it would turn out. Right now my biggest hang up are from a thematic point of view. I think that all 7 clans should be represented during the game, even if some clans would be represented simply as allies of other clans. Example: Why would the Dragon and Crab just abandon their lands while all the other clans battle across the entirety of Rokugan? I realize it's "just a game" but theme is what really draws me to the L5R IP. I'm hoping that the game will expand this for all 7 clans, or I'll have to figure out how to make this work for myself. I bought it, so now I can do what ever I want with it, so 7 factions it is.

Did you ever try this out? How’d it go?

Sorry, actually no. I have only ever managed to play with 3 players and although this is still one of my favorite games, because of life it's been awhile since I have played this. I've gotten distracted by traveling abroad, L5R LCG, L5R RPG, Journeys in Middle-earth, and the Transformers TCG... among other things! My sons and I have had this on the mind lately though, so if we decide to play a variant we'll try out using allied clans.