Uthuk Blog-ish thing.

By Adun42, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

The Uthuk are not done yet, but I'm happy with the way its going, so I thought I'd share.

I tried to take snapshots of the progression and we'll see how that plays out:

I had a lot of fun trying to choose colors, by the time I got it I had 9 different test models (its summarized here).

Also trying to show the process...

So here we go...

A s usual I glue and wash - I can't bring myself to paint the parts separately yet:

wUeYo6m.jpg

Also, now I know what to look for for flash...generally don't see it, until I am painting..

The original idea was to use chaotic red, it would be dark, but a good red...based on the color I saw online...but it went on purple-ish and dried brown:

IRPrbvC.jpg

I'm using skeleton bone for the pointy bits and most weapons and a darker "tanned flesh" for their skin - wasn't crazy about the blue-ish skin tone

Notice tho' that chaotic red on skeleton bone, dries to a VERY nice, dried blood color - will use that in the future. (the edge of blades).

Nope, I wanted them to say..."RED" the way elves say "green", Daqan - blue, Waiqar - purple.

It was too Brown.

oaE1ItM.jpg

I didn't want to use Dragon Red, because that's a lot of the Daqan Cavalry - and didn't want that...so let's try true red:

ciOTa1o.jpg

Ohh man is that red...nope not it.

But while I was looking around for what the heck chaotic red was supposed to be I found this:

(no I don't work for army painter and am not selling it, this was the inspiration), yep that color matches perfectly with what I'm getting.

But the red highlights...hmmm...

cp3026_600x450px_2.jpg

Still dark, but cool use of red chaos, I thought.

So then, I tried that - and really couldn't get the effect I wanted which was "same effect, more red"

But then this happened:

xeB5zX1.jpg

again, we are at "picking color step" so not picky about splashing...but I saw the center cloth (you can see the other red, is still too red)

The center cloth has the right effect!!

So given the test models, added the appropriate other color and it didn't seem to matter too much whether it was true red on chaotic or chaotic on true red

(you can see by the bases which were primed with what color - if you follow me) but subjectively true red on chaotic primer "felt" better.

mEPvIyx.jpg

But it kinda looks like "heavy shading" so I did 2 flesh rippers with just true red and shaded them:

I the next 2 I'll do with the chaotic red under coat to show what it looks like:

KtlWvEU.jpg

Great color on my wife's 67 Camero (she had one once, nice car) but not so great for Uthuk.

Sort of a candy apple red.

So yes, it matters, so showing off the red of them in the following but here's where we are and I'm liking it!

These are shaded but not matted - so still shiny:

P5uaQP1.jpg

I painted Undead without hesitating. Uthuk are now giving me problems with finding colors. Good luck on your end. I’ve only figured out my demons (Rippers, Threshers) color scheme and started painting them.

Edited by Church14

UTHUK NO BLOG.

UTHUK ONLY BR-AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH-G

Seriously though keep up the good work. More flesh for the rippin'

20 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I painted Undead without hesitating. Uthuk are now giving me problems with finding colors. Good luck on your end. I’ve only figured out my demons (Rippers, Threshers) color scheme and started painting them.

Yes, the Waiqar and Daqan, I followed the guide, because I was so new.

Didn't like the wood elf version of elves, wanted more Noldor, knew what I wanted anyway.

With the uthuk, I had a vision, but took a lot of tests to find it.

Threshers are a whole different thing - haven't even tried yet - kinda like the Carrion Lancers - didn't like the colors until I did them.

But these will be...different, no idea how yet.

ok, 1 core and 2 command done.

But the fun news is I magnetized them!

@Hepitude Gave the basics, I used the 3/8" ring magnet around the peg in the base and a 1/4" flat washer on the bottom of the figures.

No cutting, sanding or change of trays or bases. they do sit up a little - and the bigger ones can wobble, but it is so much nicer to have them snap in.

Now I just need 250 more magnets...*sigh*

ok here they are - my version of uthuk

iarRI7n.jpg

Beserkers:

h1PCxor.jpg

Rippers:

xeGZvnj.jpg

The thresher - all I can say is the UThuk have a pretty bad dental plan:

4CFhief.jpg

Ravos:

tJ4QAxj.jpg

n1mCH4S.jpg

And command:

tnwwfpL.jpg

NqmkvUp.jpg

mdxpHLU.jpg

Now just need to magnetize everything else and get some more uthuk expansions!

Here's a couple of pics of how I did the magnets:

Qq8eIEd.jpg

iL6lzK7.jpg

Man... flat washers look so much easier than the way I'm magnetizing. Very nice job! I'm loving your basework too, it looks real.