FAQ

By DarthDude, in Genesys

On 1/8/2018 at 9:06 AM, 2P51 said:

No. Not concentrating anymore breaks concentration. It's just a maneuver you choose to perform or not in order to sustain a spell that allows it.

what would be the maximum number of concentration actions one can perform per round without talents or strain? 2?

(ie. how many concentration spells can one keep running)

41 minutes ago, Kelbar said:

Dice machines question ?

This question to fellow GM, as kinda new to system.

My question is when you have an NPC attacking a PC, is how do you decide when to add Challenge dice (red dice ) to the check, outside of using story point/destiny point . This is same thing I having issue decided when to add red dice to the dice pool.

Any tips or advice would be welcome on this.

Is there a significant consequence for failure? Is there a high risk? Then throw an upgrade in.

As an example if the character is crossing a tightrope that’s 1 meter off the ground then it’s probably a Hard Coordination Check. If that same tightrope was instead between two buildings and 100 meters off the ground then that same Hard Check needs at least 1 Upgrade, probably 2.

With Success and Despair on that Check I would have the pc drop something, or the rope start to break. With Failure and Despair the rope would snap, the character is left dangling from the end of one half.

13 minutes ago, Terefang said:

what would be the maximum number of concentration actions one can perform per round without talents or strain? 2?

With the limit of 2 manoeuvres per round you can maintain a maximum of two spells.

5 hours ago, Terefang said:

It would be two, but that's a pretty sketchy choice tactically. It means you can't move, can't take cover if you aren't in cover, can't use a lot of Talents, etc. So possible, but maybe not a regular go to move.

11 hours ago, Terefang said:

Without talents or strain...?

With no talents to mitigate the costs or supplement the effect, you can sustain one spell without spending strain for additional maneuvers. For as long as you have spare strain, you can sustain two spells for the cost of two strain per turn (or perhaps one strain per turn, if the GM is using an Easy Maneuvers variant). Then it's back down to one. Note that additional checks, especially with trained skills, can generate the necessary advantage for strain recovery; so, a well crafted strain engine can keep two spells in the air for much longer than the associated strain threshold would imply.

Edited by CMink
Bonus Content
4 minutes ago, CMink said:

Without talents or strain...?

With no talents to mitigate the costs or supplement the effect, you can sustain one spell without spending strain for additional maneuvers. For as long as you have spare strain, you can sustain two spells for the cost of two strain per turn (or perhaps one strain per turn, if the GM is using an Easy Maneuvers variant).

Your Action can be downgraded to a manoeuvre to avoid the strain cost, at the loss of acting. But presumably if you’re maintaining two spells there’s some important spells worth keeping active.

14 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Your Action can be downgraded to a manoeuvre to avoid the strain cost, at the loss of acting. But presumably if you’re maintaining two spells there’s some important spells worth keeping active.

Thank you. Ninja'd, but fair point. One if you want to keep doing stuff, two if you don't mind being a statue.

17 hours ago, Kelbar said:

Dice machines question ?

This question to fellow GM, as kinda new to system.

My question is when you have an NPC attacking a PC, is how do you decide when to add Challenge dice (red dice ) to the check, outside of using story point/destiny point . This is same thing I having issue decided when to add red dice to the dice pool.

Any tips or advice would be welcome on this.

This is probably a question for it's own thread; not in this compilation FAQ of rules questions and Dev answers.

Edited by DarthGM

Question:

Why did you choose the different mechanic for „Overide Security Program“? The system is usually very clean and uses the standard difficulty/opposition mechanic in most situation. Therefore, my expectation was that the rating of a Security Program is the difficulty to overcome it. However, it is not. Instead, the rating is the number of successes needed, which derivates from all other actions in Genesys. I‘d like to understand why, so that I better know the implications if I copy one or the other dice mechanic for my own usage.

Answer:
That’s a good question. We chose to design the Override Security program the way that we did for several reasons. One is that scaling successes (the more successes you get, the more effective your action is) is already a part in Genesys (most notably whenever you make a combat check). Although the structure here is slightly different, the core conceit is the same.
The second reason is that it creates additional design space for the future. Talents already exist that allow you to modify the difficulty of checks. By taking this approach, it allows us to open up new avenues for affecting your character’s ability to hack. It also means we can create Firewalls that are hard to get through (large numbers of successes required to ‘break’) but don’t have severe risks of complications if you fail. System defenders can take talents such Defensive Sysops that can increase the difficulty, and this way these talents don’t compound with an increased difficulty to create an impossible task.
Hope that helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Just got this response to a question I had about buying and selling:

Question:

Hello! I was hoping you could clarify how buying and selling are supposed to work in both Star Wars and Genesys. If a PC wants to sell something he looted from a foe, and the sale is not a plot-critical moment, does this require one check or two? More specifically, does the PC need to make one Negotiation or Streetwise check versus the item's Rarity to find a buyer, and a second Negotiation or Streetwise check to haggle over the price with the merchant? Or is the first roll the only one required?

The rules on pp. 82–83 of the Genesys rulebook and pp. 157–58 of the Force and Destiny rulebook seem to imply that it's one roll versus a difficulty set by the item's Rarity, with uncanceled Successes increasing the sale price. But should it be two rolls? Roll 1, to find the buyer, Roll 2 to haggle over the price?

For one more level to this question, does the answer depend on the plot-critical-ness of the encounter? Haggling against a merchant makes selling into an opposed check, almost always opening the door to Despair. Is this an indicator that these sorts of opposed haggling sessions should be reserved for important plot moments, and not for simple looting and selling of enemy gear? Thanks for any clarification!

Answer:

The rules roll the “find a buyer” and the “sell the item” into a single check, which is why it becomes more difficult to sell rarer items (it’s harder to find a buyer with the kind of money/interest to afford the item in the first place).

However, you do have a good point. If the negotiations are plot critical, you can expand the encounter out into two parts. One to find a buyer (which can rely on Knowledge or Streetwise checks, or even social skill checks as your characters talk to their friends and find someone interested in making the purchase). The second would be to negotiate a price, at which point you could make an opposed Negotiation check instead of a set difficulty. Simply use the same resolution for successes!

Hope that helps!

Sam Stewart

RPG Manager

Fantasy Flight Games

Question:

A PC has to use maneuvers and/or strain to move between different range-bands in structured combat.

1. At what speed is the PC considered moving ?
  2. What would be the canonical way for a PC moving at non-combat speeds (Jog, Run, Sprint, Dash) across range-bands during structured combat ?
  3. does she have to spend strain until dropping unconscious if moving a great distance all in one round ?
Edited by Terefang
14 minutes ago, Terefang said:

Question:

A PC has to use maneuvers and/or strain to move between different range-bands in structured combat.

1. At what speed is the PC considered moving ?
  2. What would be the canonical way for a PC moving at non-combat speeds (Jog, Run, Sprint, Dash) across range-bands during structured combat ?
  3. does she have to spend strain until dropping unconscious if moving a great distance all in one round ?

This thread is solely for questions answered by the devs. If you have a question to ask the community, please post it in a separate thread.

4 minutes ago, c__beck said:

This thread is solely for questions answered by the devs. If you have a question to ask the community, please post it in a separate thread.

i am asking the devs what they have in mind for this situation. i might not care for the communities variing opinions.

if this question is not appropriate, the devs can either move or delete my posting.

Edited by Terefang

Question:

On pg 144, for the Fantasy weapons table, I was able to mentally work through the creation of the Shield listed in Table II. 1-1.
However, my question is, how did you create the Sword in the same table? Since it has +3 damage, with a crit rating of 2, and the Defensive 1 seems like it would be much higher than 200. I realize costs are variable and there is a discount applied to items in Table II.1-1, but no matter what I seem to craft, I can't get the sword's cost to come close to what's listed.

Answer:

You’ll probably notice a similar problem with spears, maces, and other melee weapons. We accidentally omitted one line from our weapons pricing table, which is that melee and brawl weapon costs should be halved after all other calculations. This compensates them for the major limitation of not being able to be used at range.

This is something we have fixed in future printings, and will be addressing in our errata.

Hope this helps!

Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
Edited by BlamedCat
fixing font sizes

Rules Question:
I love the fexibility in Genesys' character creation so I pondered to go a step further and have my players decide on the class skills themselves and then let them define the "class" or "role" depending on the choice of skills. Would it be appropriate to have the players choose 8 "class" skills freely instead of building classes in advance with a pre defined set of class skills?

Sure, I think that would be totally reasonable! As long as you sit down with your players beforehand and talk about what kind of game you’re going to run, I can’t see any problem with it.
Cheers,
Sam Stewart

Rules Question:
I noticed in the Steampunk Setting Specific Gear that the Hand Cannon has no listed rarity. What would the official rarity of this weapon be?

Hi,
The Hand Cannon should have Rarity 5.
Hope that helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Realm of Terrinoth, Page 84, Talent: Dungeoneer. It states, "After your character makes a perception, vigilance, etc. checks...your character cancels a number of uncanceled <advantages> no greater than your character's ranks in in Dungeoneer". From the context of the talent is the <advantage> a typo, because it seems to me there is really no point of canceling an uncanceled advantages in any checks? Is this supposed to be instead a <threat>?

Edited by HelloRPG
16 minutes ago, HelloRPG said:

Realm of Terrinoth, Page 84, Talent: Dungeoneer. It states, "After your character makes a perception, vigilance, etc. checks...your character cancels a number of uncanceled <advantages> no greater than your character's ranks in in Dungeoneer". From the context of the talent is the <advantage> a typo, because it seems to me there is really no point of canceling an uncanceled advantages in any checks? Is this supposed to be instead a <threat>?

This thread is only for questions already answered by the devs, they don't come here and answer them.

Please use the link in the topic post to ask your questions: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/

Feel free to post the reply you receive!

Question Sent:

Greetings! I have two questions about magic implement materials from the new Terrinoth book. Are the prices accurate? A bone implement, for example, is better than oak and is half the cost? Or is that x1/2 supposed to be x1.5 (x1-1/2)? Also, should the Dungeneer talent allow you to cancel Threat symbols and not Advantage symbols?

Answer Received:

Hi Christopher! Yep, those are typos. Bone, Hazel, and Yew should all be Cost x 1.5 (original cost, plus half the cost), and yes, it should be threat.

Good catches and we’ll get this fixed in reprints!

Rules Question:
Hi! Wizards and Mages PCs cannot turn invisible or fly since they don't get access to Augment spells, is that true? How can a Wizard cast such a spell?
Answer Received:
It depends on how you qualify magic like invisibility or flying, but yes, if you consider them to be an Augment type spell, then using the rules as presented in Genesys, spellcasters using Arcana would not be able to do those things.
However, the magic rules as presented in Genesys are designed to be a template and a starting point for your own games, and do not have to be used unaltered. Specifically, we designed these rules so that there would be three magic skills that each had benefits and drawbacks. In your game, you may want spellcasters who use Arcana (“wizards”) to have a more wide-ranging spell catalog. In that case, you can certainly give them access to Augment, or even create a new spell type that allows them to do these things (maybe call it Enhance, or Alter).
Hope that helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Rules Question:

Excuse me; I was curious about the rules concerning defense. Does ranged defense apply against attack spells? It looks like general defense applies to attack spells, but what of ranged defense? If ranged defense does not apply to attack spells, then how should one determine how much of a premade adversary profile's melee and ranged defenses are general defense?

Answer Received:

You can think of attack spells, specifically as combat checks just like shooting a gun (albeit a gun shooting blue bolts of arcane energy or fireballs). So ranged defense does apply to those attacks.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Question:

Hello, There are several beautiful maps in the Realms of Terrinoth book - however there is nothing by which to judge scale. Is there any sort of scale available so that rough distances can be determined?

Answer:

Hi Josh! We imagine Terrinoth (page 139) around 250 leagues across at its widest point (roughly 900 miles). Travel time in days is likely more an issue, and our benchmark is 5 leagues per day on foot on average. It probably would take 7 or so weeks to cross it on foot (3-4 on horseback), and several days to travel from Tamalir to Greyhaven that way. This is something the GM can change, though, to best fit the game and the plot. One GM might have Terrinoth as big as the US, another the size of Europe, a third eh size of France. And all are perfectly fine.

We’re discussing this here and may add some guidance along these lines either in a reprint or online. It’s a great question and thanks for bringing it up Josh!

Edited by saethone

Rules Question:
Hello, regarding the Tier 3 "Dual Strike" talent in Realms of Terrinoth, I was hoping for clarification. Do the weapons wielded need to be Melee weapons?

or

Can they be any two weapons, as long as you are attacking while in an engagement?

Thanks

Answer:

Hi, Barron –

Both weapons must be used as part of a melee attack, as described in the sidebar on page 103 of the Genesys Core Rulebook (an attack made in close combat with an opponent, and with a weapon designed for use in close combat). Generally, this means a weapon that uses Brawl or Melee (Light), but it’s not restricted to a particular skill, since GMs may introduce additional combat skills to their game.

Thanks!

--

Tim Cox

RPG Developer

Fantasy Flight Games

Rules Question:

I was wondering about the Finesse and Precision talents from Realms of Terrinoth. Does Finesse allow you to use Agility in place of Brawn for damage purposes? Does Precision allow you to use Cunning in place of Brawn for damage purposes?

Answer Received:

You still would use Brawn for the damage. You strike in an agile or precise way, but how hard you hit is still up to your brawniness

Hope this helps and thanks for playing!

Tim Huckelbery

RPG Producer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

Edited by Earth Seraph Edna