Alternative Magic System, New Spells and Implements

By Cyvaris, in Genesys

4 hours ago, Cyvaris said:

What do people think about the Signature Spell mechanic letting a character need less Advantage to trigger the chosen effect instead of reducing the difficulty?

The text for Signature Spell int he pdf appears to be cut off, and I'm not sure what it does.

On 12/5/2017 at 5:52 PM, Palomarus said:

@Cyvaris

So I added the stuff you made to the Magic Section of the Players Guide I am working on.

I tweaked a few of the Magic Actions you created, as well as adding a third effect option to the standard Dispel Magic action.

Would love to get your thoughts on what I came up with, as they were your brain child to begin with! ?

Magic on Therill

I like it! Nice high production values here, too!

On 12/18/2017 at 5:50 PM, Cyvaris said:

@CitizenKeen Mechanics for increasing emotions was...something I wanted to deal with, which is why I added the "reveal strength/flaw" part to Influence Emotions. I might change Dominate to something like reveal Desire/Fears.

@yeti1069 All the spells are checks against a set difficulty. Enchantment does feel like something that could be an opposed check, but felt like it stepped a bit too much on various Social Skills. I'll have to take a look Battle Meditation. I did lift a bunch from FaD as is to inspire these, so maybe Battle Meditation could be lifted as well.

Here is the updated document. It now also includes my "Prepared Spells" alternate rule and a Signature Spells rule too.

Genesys Spells.pdf

I think my concern with a few of these effects is how much they tread on Augment (it adds +1 Ability die to all your checks for the duration), or Curse which essentially does something similar to the negative effects some of these confer.

I also hate how Enchantment is affecting other characters without really allowing for any sort of defense. I'm thinking that maybe it should come with difficulty upgraded by the target's ranks in Discipline or Adversary, whichever is higher. Curse might due to have similar language as well. Could be Willpower rather than Discipline to make it more universally defended against. Not sure about that. Maybe just whichever is higher?

Edited by yeti1069
3 hours ago, yeti1069 said:

Could be Willpower rather than Discipline to make it more universally defended against. Not sure about that. Maybe just whichever is higher?

wouldnt that be willpower difficulty dice upgraded by discipline (or vice versa) ?
in much the same way you would form a dice pool of characteristic + proficiency dice (but now difficulty + challenge dice) ?

12 minutes ago, Terefang said:

wouldnt that be willpower difficulty dice upgraded by discipline (or vice versa) ?
in much the same way you would form a dice pool of characteristic + proficiency dice (but now difficulty + challenge dice) ?

I'm saying it would be spell Difficulty upgraded by Willpower or Discipline.

Made Enchantment an opposed vs Discipline check to reveal a Strength/Flaw, probably models the "works on the weak-minded" bit of such things well then.

Any suggestions for making Divination more distinct from Augment? At least as a base effect, things like Scrying and Detect feel like they fit well in Divination, but not as a base effect to build off of.

Signature Spell from the PDF looks to just be a "select an effect, ignore the difficulty". It's alright, but it's often not the difficulty making it hard to activate added qualities, but the lack of advantage. Most rolls seems to produce a bunch of success with less advantage. So I like either requiring less advantage or letting success be used as advantage; less damage but an effect is something I rather like.

The Spells link isn't working.

Cyvaris, perhaps Enchantment would benefit from having a "Subtle" effect: for +2D, the target is unaware that he has been enchanted when the effect expires.

Also, rather than a Duration effect, maybe just bake into Enchantment that it persists for a number of rounds equal to five minus the target's Willpower.

I want to mess with Enchantment too, but I'm away from home on a potato computer, and don't have all my resources and references.

Edited by Direach

I used some of what others have already written as a baseline to write my own version of Enchantment. How does this look?

Enchantment
Concentration: Yes
Skills: Arcana, Primal
Select a single creature or minion group within Short range and make an Easy (d) Magic check. If successful, the target is filled with a specific emotion or sensation of your choice, such as anger, attraction, calm, disgust, fear, friendliness, or peace. All social checks the target makes are either upgraded or downgraded once to reflect this altered mental state.
After the spell ends, the target is aware that they were feeling or behaving unusally.
Additional Effects
+d Additional Target : May select additional targets equal to your ranks in Knowledge. May spend aa to select additional targets equal to your ranks in Knowledge for each aa spent.
+d Easy Feeling : After the spell's effects end, the target no longer is suspicious of their emotional state or actions.
+dd Suggestion : Your target takes a suggested action or maneuver associated with the emotion you have instilled in them, such as attacking someone in anger, hitting on someone they are attracted to, calmy taking a rest, disgusted avoiding someone or something, running away from something in fear, offering assistance to someone they feel friendly toward, or attempting a peaceful resolution to a conflict. You may offer a suggestion each round as part of maintaining concentration on the spell.
+dd Forgetfulness : The target has no recollection of what transpired while under the effects of the spell.
+ddd Charm : The target feels particularly friendly to the caster, or a single target the caster designates, doing anything they would normally do for a dear friend.
+ddd Dominate : The target obeys all commands of the caster, even those contrary to its nature. The target may attempt a Discipline vs Discipline check as an action on their turn in order to break free of this mental control, receiving a number of b on their check if your commands have been agaisnt their nature. This cannot be combined with the Additional Target effect.

I'm not sure Charm and Suggestion are different enough to warrant having the two separate effects. It could mean reversing their difficulty, where Charm provides the friendly feeling, but you have little control over what they do: "Help me out" could result in a wide variety of actual actions. While Suggestion could be a bit more specific in what you're trying to get them to do?

I was thinking Dominate should be dddd, but I wanted it to be able to combine with Easy Feeling. It would be nice to allow it to combine with Forgetfulness also, but maybe that's something that should only be doable with an implement or talent reducing difficulty for this?

I feel like this does a fair job of not trampling on the other spells in what it is doing and trying to do. The upgrade/downgrade on social skills is a little bit like what Augment and Curse do, but a) more specific, b) more vague, c) doesn't affect combat rolls, or rolls critical to survival (like resisting spells or hazards), and d) is on the more narrative end of the spectrum as far as spells are concerned, which seems appropriate.

2 hours ago, yeti1069 said:

I was thinking Dominate should be dddd, but I wanted it to be able to combine with Easy Feeling

To my mind, exceeding 5 difficulty should start upgrading the difficulty dice. If the player wants to stack 8 diff of modifiers on a spell, let them roll RRRPP.

If you play with fire, you will need someone nearby to sweep up your remains =D

@yeti1069 I like the changes, though I'm going to sneak in some form of "target reveals strength/flaw" to tie it closer to the social skills.

Also, additional target off ranks in Knowledge and from Advantage spent feels....strong.

53 minutes ago, Cyvaris said:

@yeti1069 I like the changes, though I'm going to sneak in some form of "target reveals strength/flaw" to tie it closer to the social skills.

Also, additional target off ranks in Knowledge and from Advantage spent feels....strong.

Looking forward to seeing how you work in the reveal "strength/flaw." I liked that bit, but couldn't think of a way that I liked incorporating it (and it was, like, 5 or 6 AM...).

I was thinking the spell should be beneficial in a group social encounter, but yeah, that may have been too much. Maybe just ranks in Knowledge, or just 1 Advantage to select one additional target? Also thinking it should probably be +dd, not +d, so it can't be easily used alongside Charm or Dominate.

Ehm, I get an error when trying to download the file...

Is there a good link for the document? OP is broken

I believe one of the later posts has the link.

Yeah, one of the later posts has a link. Since then I've compiled all Genesys spells into one document for my group and...can't compress it small enough for forum to let me post. I'll figure out a link sometime soon.

Google docs or Dropbox with a public access folder is best

20 minutes ago, Cyvaris said:

Yeah, one of the later posts has a link. Since then I've compiled all Genesys spells into one document for my group and...can't compress it small enough for forum to let me post. I'll figure out a link sometime soon.

What did you end up doing for Enchantment?

Oh. Something I'm tooling around with is having a different Knowledge skill get tapped (for the spell effects that care about Knowledge ranks) based on your target, or what you're trying to achieve.

So, for my game, I have Knowledge: Community (humanoids), Nature (animals, fey, elementals), Mystic (magical creatures, dragons, golems), Forbidden (Undead, aberrations).

If someone is casting a spell on a human and using an effect that looks at ranks in Knowledge, it looks at Community, but if they cast the same spell on an animal, it would look at ranks in Nature.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, Cyvaris said:

Alright, this is my first draft of some alternative magic rules. I've modified how many spells a character has access to, limiting the number of spells a character knows to their number of ranks in the appropriate Magic skill. In addition to that, I added three new spells, Divination, Enchantment, and Illusion, and at the end are several new implements. I erred on the side of "underpowered", or at least I hope so. I did not put a cost or rarity down for the new implements, as those are the biggest place I am not sure of in terms of rules.

I would like to at some point add a Transmutation/Shapechange spell, but can't come up with an appropriate "first" entry before the effects.

Genesys Spells.pdf

The PDF link isn't working...

18 hours ago, aaronschwager said:

The PDF link isn't working...

I probably killed it be accident then when I was reworking/reshuffling stuff in the GDrive. Attaching it here. I need to go back and tweak some parts of it (Signature Spell is a talent now and Prepared Spells are WAY stronger than I wanted) but the three core "new" spells I made I still really like.

GenesysSpells.pdf

I really like those core spells! I will be sharing this with my group, for sure! One questions/clarification: The description of Enchantment says

If the check is successful, the caster caster adds V.png equal to V.png to their next social skill check against the target.

Is this is supposed to be S.png equal to V.png ? The wording makes it seem unclear to me. If it is correct as written, maybe rewording to "apply advantage from spell check to next social check" or something similar might be more explicit about the intent. Or, I'm a big dummie and haven't had enough coffee yet? Both seem equally plausible. ? ?

I....honestly can't remember. Probably should be S.png equal to V.png . Enchantment I've been playing around with for awhile trying to find something that is mechanically distinct from other Spells enough to justify its existence. I want something similar to FaD "Influence" power, but with at least some sort of mechanics to it. Also tempted to have it downgrade the difficulty of the next social check in some way, shape, or form.