*Spoilers* Far Harbor scenario confusion

By Iuchi Toshimo, in Fallout

Spoilers again:

Played all the scenarios yesterday and we got very confused by the Far Harbor scenario.

Some of the staged quests trigger themselves when a Shield is placed on the board with no particular, specific action involved. In this scenario, Shields are commonly placed during the enemy phase by the agenda deck. One reward for a shield entering play is 3 exp. We could not figure out who to give it to since the Shield was placed during the enemy phase. We had figured out how to place Stars using the staged quests, but not Shields. This trigger occurred twice on two different staged quests during the enemy turn in our game. We felt uncomfortable just giving 6 exp to the first player (controller of agenda deck) since it was so much exp for no effort.

Also, compared to the other scenarios, we had a ridiculous amount of staged quests (7-8) by the time someone earned an influence victory. It was hard to keep track of everything happening.

I feel like we did something wrong or we missed something. The other scenarios went off without a hitch. The game is quite fun.

Anyone else run through Far Harbor yet?

Yes! We ran into the same issues when playing the Far Harbor scenario.

Regarding your first issue - eventually there is an encounter card added to one of the decks (settlement I think?) that allows a player to purposely place a shield at their current location. I still agree this is confusing and unclear what should happen when a shield is placed due to activation. Would *love* an official ruling from FF on how to resolve. (Until then we are going to play with only the explicit encounter-based turn-in).

We also had 6-8 active quests by the end. It slowed things down a bit because everyone had to review them when deciding how to spend their turn. However, it didn't ruin the game for us and it feels consistent with the Fallout video game experience, where one can easily have a ton of active quests available at a time.

Also, all 4 scenarios in one day? Nice :-)

19 hours ago, spainhower said:

Also, all 4 scenarios in one day? Nice :-)

I ended up playing it solo and found the Wilderness Encounter that adds Shields. I don't think we ever explored Wilderness in our first game on this map. I blame newbishness. I would also love a clarification on what happens with those staged quests when the Agenda deck places a shield.

And, yes, all four in one day. =) The first game took a couple hours as we figured out all the rules, but the other three didn't take very long at all. Heck, someone won Capital Wasteland after we only revealed 3 tiles. It was probably a lucky start, but, wow, Side Quests are strong.

We had exactly the same questions yesterday night playing Far Harbor. Would love an official feed back from FFG on that :)

Still no one from the staff about this ? :)

Up

FFG doesn't answer on the forum. If you need an official clarification, you need to enter a Rules question by using the appropriate link on this very website: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/

On 8/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, Julia said:

FFG doesn't answer on the forum. If you need an official clarification, you need to enter a Rules question by using the appropriate link on this very website: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/

The game has been out out about 2-3 years now, there are various known printing/textual errors on cards (that have been stated by individuals asking FFG then posting the answer) and there are load of ambiguous cards resulting in lots and lots of questions to all the forums. So submitting a question doesn't really help anyone other than the person asking.

FFG have so far not produced any FAQ or errata, unlike all their other games. I have no idea why. I have no idea why they are refusing to help out the community.

Sad to see there is still no offcial answer on this.
We decided to role play the solution by not giving the 'faction' reward to anyone, as it is the game mecanics that trigers it. It makes the game longer, which is fine for us :)
What have you guys done to deal with it ?