App Questions/ enemy abilities (small spoilers)

By gibby290, in Legends of the Alliance

Loving the app, but a couple of strange things occurred...wasn't sure how to rule.

It seems like you should 'ignore' most things on the enemy card except for dice to roll, is that right? For example:

• Darth Vadar performs 'force choke' on *HERO*. It doesn't say in the app he needs line of sight, but does say so on the card, does he still do the ability?
  • EWeb/ IG88 - do both of these units still get 2 attacks as indicated on the deployment card (if possible) even though the rules say max 1 attack per imperial unit?
  • Do Trandoshan Hunters use their abilities if within 3 as indicated on the card? Or does it not apply if the app doesn't list it?

Thanks guys!

Gibby

1. If it's an ability in the instruction list, then do exactly as it says.

2. Yes, Assault is not optional, so it is always in use. If the instruction list has two or more attack actions, two of them can be performed.

3. Relentless is not optional, so it will be used for each of their attacks. If the target figure is within 3 spaces, the target figure suffers 1 strain when the attack is declared.

I’m assuming ‘Last Stand’ works the same way and just use the imperial rule to assign the focus token.

I know, factoring in both abilities that don’t go away on top of the bonus effects is a lot to consider sometimes.

I've just been using the Imperial rule and applying things like rerolls when I know they could only be beneficial. I'll use cower when an Imperial officer is about to die and squad training when an attack die result is redundant.

Last Stand contains a choice between target figures (contains "choose"), so strictly it isn't in play.

What about Suppressive Fire? There isn't really a default choice, does the Imperial rule get invoked every time?

23 hours ago, a1bert said:

Last Stand contains a choice between target figures (contains "choose"), so strictly it isn't in play.

Thanks, that makes sense!

On 12/3/2017 at 10:20 AM, gibby290 said:

Loving the app, but a couple of strange things occurred...wasn't sure how to rule.

It seems like you should 'ignore' most things on the enemy card except for dice to roll, is that right? For example:

• Darth Vadar performs 'force choke' on *HERO*. It doesn't say in the app he needs line of sight, but does say so on the card, does he still do the ability?
  • EWeb/ IG88 - do both of these units still get 2 attacks as indicated on the deployment card (if possible) even though the rules say max 1 attack per imperial unit?
  • Do Trandoshan Hunters use their abilities if within 3 as indicated on the card? Or does it not apply if the app doesn't list it?

Thanks guys!

Gibby

For #2, the Legends of the Alliance rules go over this on page 17:

Limit of One Attack Action

An Imperial figure cannot perform more than one attack action during its activation unless it has an ability that states otherwise. An instruction is an attack action if it is preceded by the [bursty arrow] symbol. An attack instruction that is not preceded by a [bursty arrow] symbol does not count against the number of attack actions a figure can perform.

On 3/12/2017 at 5:20 PM, gibby290 said:

• Darth Vadar performs 'force choke' on *HERO*.

We did apply LoS last night. we couldn't find any one evidence in any SW literatures that Force Choke could be used without seeing the target.

Edited by Saramund
53 minutes ago, Saramund said:

We did apply LoS last night. we couldn't find any one evidence in any SW literatures that Force Choke could be used without seeing the target.

It's your choice to play in any way you like. In the LotA app though, Force Choke doesn't require line of sight, so it doesn't require line of sight.

The app version of Force Choke intentionally doesn't require line of sight or range. Otherwise it would be very weak - perhaps never triggering in the app.

Edited by a1bert

a big surprise, at least to my daughter and I, was DVs "brutality" - it effects _every_ adjacent figure, not just 2.... ouch.

9 hours ago, Saramund said:

In ESB I don't think we can consider Vader had line of sight when he force choked Ozzel via the holoscreen.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:02 PM, Tvboy said:

I've just been using the Imperial rule and applying things like rerolls when I know they could only be beneficial. I'll use cower when an Imperial officer is about to die and squad training when an attack die result is redundant.

Okay, your game, but Imperial Officer has other abilities to compensate. Such as giving focus tokens to the elite E-web, healing himself, and removing negative conditions from nearby units.

On 12/29/2017 at 2:42 AM, a1bert said:

It's your choice to play in any way you like. In the LotA app though, Force Choke doesn't require line of sight, so it doesn't require line of sight.

The app version of Force Choke intentionally doesn't require line of sight or range. Otherwise it would be very weak - perhaps never triggering in the app.

I suspect you are playing wrong. When any figure doesn't have line of sight to <<Specific Rebel>> they target the closest rebel they could attack. I doubt that Vader would not have line of sight to a single rebel. Unless you are res-positioning your storm troopers wrong, even then my Vader moved 9 when he didn't attack twice. I interpret the Imperial rule to say that when re-positioning I will forfeit a movement point if it will make is so no other Imperial units can attack the rebels (i.e. my storm troopers never stand side by side in a 2 wide hallway). With no initial attack your Vader should have moved 9, then attacked by cycling through the instructions.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:53 PM, Saramund said:

Have you not watched Rogue One?

3 hours ago, mtagge said:

I suspect you are playing wrong. When any figure doesn't have line of sight to <<Specific Rebel>> they target the closest rebel they could attack.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Force Choke is not an attack. Force Choke doesn't have line of sight or range requirement. It always succeeds. (And I think it can be a non-action ability somewhere during the campaign.)

Edited by a1bert
20 hours ago, a1bert said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Force Choke is not an attack. Force Choke doesn't have line of sight or range requirement. It always succeeds. (And I think it can be a non-action ability somewhere during the campaign.)

I was referring to your line about "perhaps never triggering in the app" if it required line of sight. I literally never had a single Vader activation where he didn't have line of sight to a single rebel figure. If he can't use brutality he has a move 9 and I intentionally don't block line of sight with other imperial figures using the imperial rule. If you meant that in the hypothetical "it is theoretically possible for Vader to not have line of sight to a single rebel" that is different.

On 29/12/2017 at 5:04 PM, IanSolo_FFG said:

In ESB I don't think we can consider Vader had line of sight when he force choked Ozzel via the holoscreen.

Well the holoscreen gives you a line of sight... Literally they can see each other. Vader doesn't need to shoot just manipulating the force field around Ozzel.

I don't think force choke is meant to choke everybody in the universe just because a Sith thinks somebody could be in a specific room. Even when a Jedi/Sith senses the presence of another force user, they cannot tell exactly where she/he is.

Even though Brutality is not a proper attack, I think it's best to target the closest rebel.

2 hours ago, Saramund said:

Well the holoscreen gives you a line of sight... Literally they can see each other. Vader doesn't need to shoot just manipulating the force field around Ozzel.

I don't think force choke is meant to choke everybody in the universe just because a Sith thinks somebody could be in a specific room. Even when a Jedi/Sith senses the presence of another force user, they cannot tell exactly where she/he is.

Even though Brutality is not a proper attack, I think it's best to target the closest rebel.

It's not a proper line of sight. If you would shoot at an holoscreen you would not harm your "target". Now how about when Vader force choked Krennic in Rogue one? Although they were in the same room, Vader was clearly not looking at him and he still could use force choke. In IA, we are not talking about force choking across the universe. I'M confortable with Vader being force sensitive enough to sense every hero in the room and force choke whoever he wants.

On 12/29/2017 at 3:54 PM, --JP said:

a big surprise, at least to my daughter and I, was DVs "brutality" - it effects _every_ adjacent figure, not just 2.... ouch.

A hint to IA Second Edition maybe??????