Transferring Save Files Between Devices?

By Tvboy, in Legends of the Alliance

Anybody know how to do this? I don't like to take my tablet out of the house and would like to be able to access my game on my phone when I'm out.

Also why don't we have a sub forum for the app yet?

I wouldn't recommend using a phone honestly. The touch screen to tap defeated heroes and info on the enemies is so **** hard I had to give up on my heroes being defeated. :/

I wasn't really asking about what people think about the phone app, it's quality is kind of moot when it's the only platform I can use when I'm on the go. I like to play on grid paper with pencil and be phone dice app when I'm out of the house and not working, but I want to use our family tablet when I do get to play at home.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:21 AM, Tvboy said:

Anybody know how to do this? I don't like to take my tablet out of the house and would like to be able to access my game on my phone when I'm out.

To transfer saved games between Android devices and Steam on PC :

1. Make sure the LotA app is installed on your second device.

2. Make sure the Collection on the second device has the necessary expansions for the saved game you want to transfer.

3. Using your preferred file manager, navigate to the following directory for your platform.
For Android devices: " Android\data\com.fantasyflightgames.iaca\files\SavedGames"
For Steam on PC : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Imperial Assault\Imperial Assault_Data\SavedGames"

4. Copy the entire "SavedGames" folder to the corresponding location on your second device. Or, if you have separate saved games on each device and do not wish to overwrite existing games, copy the individual numbered folders inside of "SavedGames". Rename the numbered folder to the next available number to prevent overwriting existing folders.

5. Launch the LotA app on the second device and select "Load Game" to verify that the new saved game appears in the list.

Edited by dwaynedauzat
On 1/4/2018 at 11:44 AM, dwaynedauzat said:

2. Make sure the Collection on the second device has the necessary expansions for the saved game you want to transfer.

3. Using your preferred file manager, navigate to the following directory for your platform.
For Android devices: " Android\data\com.fantasyflightgames.iaca\files\SavedGames"
For Steam on PC : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Imperial Assault\Imperial Assault_Data\SavedGames"

4. Copy the entire "SavedGames" folder to the corresponding location on your second device. Or, if you have separate saved games on each device and do not wish to overwrite existing games, copy the individual numbered folders inside of "SavedGames". Rename the numbered folder to the next available number to prevent overwriting existing folders.

5. Launch the LotA app on the second device and select "Load Game" to verify that the new saved game appears in the list.

This is great! It's always a pain finding folders on Android. I've been playing on a tablet, but I found an old touch screen laptop that wasn't getting use, so now its my dedicated IA machine. I planned on starting over, but now I don't have to! Thank you for poating, and thank you OP for asking.

On 04/01/2018 at 5:44 PM, dwaynedauzat said:

I've like to give you all a BIG WARNING about point 4 in the instructions above, especially the part I underlined, because we've just lost our progress as a result of not using consistent folder numbering .

Bear in mind the following applies with the save data:

Slot 1 = Folder named "0"
Slot 2 = Folder named "1"
etc.

The following happened:

1. Started tutorial on an Android phone, saved midway through in Slot 1 .
  2. Transferred files to Android tablet by e-mail.
  3. To create the save file folder structure on the tablet, I started a dummy campaign in Slot 2 (has folder name "1"), then exited the app.
  4. I copied the files from point 2 to the save file location on the Android tablet, but in the file manager I could not create a Slot 1 folder (called "0"). There was no 'create folder' option in the tablet's file browser.
  5. Instead, I deleted the dummy campaign save files in folder "1" (=Slot 2 in the app), then moved in the actual files I wanted in their place.
  6. So our Slot 1 game from my phone was in Slot 2 on the tablet.
  7. We continued to play...

My wife and I then finished the tutorial, got some equipment and progressed quite far into the next mission. We saved it and tried to continue today. On opening the app, I saw two entries:

Slot 1: Legends of the Alliance Tutorial
Slot 2: Legends of the Alliance Tutorial

What was this, I thought? Our save file had duplicated itself??? I loaded Slot 2, expecting it to be our mission. But no. It was in the middle of the initial opening (basic) tutorial. :(

I foolishly chose "Save & Quit", and loaded up Slot 1. To my utter dismay, it was also in the initial opening tutorial, same as Slot 2! :(

My summary of events is this:

When the save file is created, the data files contain the path to the slot number. So if you have a save originally created in Slot 1, then transfer it to another device in a different slot, when the mission is saved, it will use Slot 1 again as on the original device.

It would seem our actual save was stored under Slot 1 (folder "0"), but on opening Slot 2 and then doing 'save & quit', it overwrote Slot 1 and our progress was lost. I am kicking myself!

There's no way to restore it. I even restarted the 2nd mission multiple times but don't always get the same chain of events and no chance to get the same bad guys showing up. We also can't get the same equipment. So our mid-mission progress is lost and we have to start over. Really frustrating, as it's our first ever IA campaign and we're both very invested in the story and the current awkward situation!

So let our troubles be a warning to others!!! :D

4 hours ago, Turm said:

I've like to give you all a BIG WARNING about point 4 in the instructions above, especially the part I underlined, because we've just lost our progress as a result of not using consistent folder numbering .

I do apologize for my careless advice resulting in your unfortunate loss. I had only tested the Loading function of renamed SavedGames folders. I have crossed through the renaming instructions in my point number 4. I wish I could bring your game back as I know how frustrating this is. Let's hope no one else will be ill-affected by this.

Hi Dwayne,

Oh, please don't worry. There's absolutely no need to apologise. I didn't follow your instructions specifically when I transferred the files, but having done that exact operation I thought it worth raising, to avoid others having the same fate.

Once I found the path to the Android files by a quick internet search, I did the rest myself.

Thanks for putting up the instructions for others, and for the amendment following my post. :)

Although not a bug, strictly speaking, I might have a look through the bug thread and contribute this issue there. If each folder was truly self-contained, it would make swapping saves between devices easier and safer, especially for users running multiple campaigns where it may not be possible to use the same slot number.

Cheers,

Martyn

On 1/4/2018 at 6:44 PM, dwaynedauzat said:

Great! Thanks!

Ahhh I regret the good old days when my colleagues developers used to use cloud for these things :D

I feel like a massive luddite but I've just got a new phone and realised my saved campaign is not there on the app. Am I doing number 3 of these instructions on the old phone? And what might a file manager be called? I have and had an Android phone.

This is why I play board games rather than video ones i think! ;)

Thanks

Krys

12 hours ago, kryspy said:

I feel like a massive luddite but I've just got a new phone and realised my saved campaign is not there on the app. Am I doing number 3 of these instructions on the old phone? And what might a file manager be called? I have and had an Android phone.

Yes. Perform instruction number 3 on your old phone.

There are many different file managers for Android. You may already have one installed on your phone and searching for "file manager" in the Play Store will pull up results like, "ES File Explorer," and "Astro File Browser."

12 hours ago, kryspy said:

This is why I play board  games rather than video ones i think!  ;)

Relevant point!