in the new app, why do the imperials all have move and attack as 1 action?

By aceckert, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Been running through the app tutorial and am confused by all the movements the imperials get. They all have a move and attack as 1 action. And why does the royal guard have move 7 as 1 action. Are you suppose to just ignore the actual imperial cards?

It's to simulate the fact that in the regular game, you can break your movement points: Take a move action to gain 4 movement points, use 2 to get near, attack, then use the last 2 to move back. They're probably giving a little more (say the Storm move 3, attack, then move 2 for a total of 5 movement points instead of 4) to balance things out.

Let's say the same Storm could not attack this round, then he would move 2 as his first action, then 6 as his second action; same as if he would have taken 2 move action for a total of 8 movement points.

7 hours ago, Red Castle said:

It's to simulate the fact that in the regular game, you can break your movement points: Take a move action to gain 4 movement points, use 2 to get near, attack, then use the last 2 to move back. They're probably giving a little more (say the Storm move 3, attack, then move 2 for a total of 5 movement points instead of 4) to balance things out.

Let's say the same Storm could not attack this round, then he would move 2 as his first action, then 6 as his second action; same as if he would have taken 2 move action for a total of 8 movement points.

Ok. So just ignore the actual speed of the storm troopers and do the listed actions? So the walk through has each storm trooper move 3 and attack as an action; and the move 2 as the second action. So this ignores actual speed. Is there a reason I can't do the other second action option of moving 6 if it meets the "imperial rule" (for a total of 9 movements this activation?

20 minutes ago, aceckert said:

Ok. So just ignore the actual speed of the storm troopers and do the listed actions? So the walk through has each storm trooper move 3 and attack as an action; and the move 2 as the second action. So this ignores actual speed. Is there a reason I can't do the other second action option of moving 6 if it meets the "imperial rule" (for a total of 9 movements this activation?

Because you can still do only 2 actions per figure and you must resolve them in the order they are listed.

An Imperial figure cannot perform more than two actions during its activation. An instruction costs one action for each A (action) or  (attack action) icon preceding it. If the figure does not have enough actions remaining for an instruction, that instruction is skipped.

Edited by Red Castle
19 minutes ago, aceckert said:

So just ignore the actual speed of the storm troopers and do the listed actions?

Yes; in general, ignore the printed stats and abilities of the unit and just do what it says in the App. They make a lot of modifications (mostly buffs) to the units to balance the game.

3 hours ago, aceckert said:

Yes there is. The reason is that you cannot skip the “move 2 to reposition 4” action.

Page 16 of the instructions states:

“Imperial figures always resolve a reposition instruction as well as they can. If the Imperial figure cannot move far enough to satisfy the reposition value, it does not skip this instruction. If it is too close to the Rebels, it moves as far away from as many Rebel figures as possible.“

The tutorial enforces this:

"Reposition 4" means that the figure will attempt to move to a space from which the nearest Rebel figure is 4 spaces away. Figures will always attempt to perform this action, even if the figure cannot get 4 spaces away.”

So you have to take this action, and this becomes the second action. The only way you would spend the “move 6 to reposition 4” action is if you didn’t perform the “move 3 to attack” action. Which gave the storm troopers in question a total of 8 which is a normal double move.

Panic averted!

FYI the tutorial was helpful if very text heavy. You’ll read a LOT aloud if playing with others who want to learn the new rules.

Edited by Marcus2410

Aha. Something else that I didn't understand and do now.

Many thanks

I think it works as a bit of a handicap helper, too.

The app isn't necessarily smart, in that it doesn't really strategize with its specific units. Each unit in a group does the exact same thing, for example. I think this is done more to make sure that each round, it's as likely as possible that an Imperial can move into position, take a shot, and reposition so they won't automatically die.

Is the app free? Where do you find it?

I like idea of campaign being a cooperative boardgame but I don't like the idea of programming all the moves into a device every turn. I will have to see what it's like. If it's good we'll abandon skirmish for campaign.

22 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Is the app free? Where do you find it?

I like idea of campaign being a cooperative boardgame but I don't like the idea of programming all the moves into a device every turn. I will have to see what it's like. If it's good we'll abandon skirmish for campaign.

Yep, totally free (at least what is currently released). RTL has a few paid items that were added later.

Find it on the iOS appstore, Google playstore, and I think Steam might have it by now (if not, should be soon).

Technically, you have to do very little in the way of programming your moves. Just tell the app when a unit has activated, when a unit has been defeated, and when you interact with an object. It doesn't keep track of where your heroes are or anything.