Thoughts and Observations While Playing the App [No Story Spoilers]

By Tvboy, in Legends of the Alliance

So it seems there's no way to account for supply cards like Valuable Goods and Chance Cubes? Has anyone figured those out?

You can't sell your starting weapons, but you can return purchased items for full price even after a mission and then still be able to buy them back again. Many items have discounts, like the DL-44 is 350 credits, but the mods and middle tier weapons are still the same price.

The xp system is tiered and you unlock another card and a higher tier after each mission. There's no actual XP earned though so no reason not to grab a new XP card after each mission, which is a nice change to the games growth system and possibly worth looking at for implementing into mini-campaigns.

Also I love how allies work, they basically implemented my house rule for allies where they have a limited number of uses but doesn't penalize the player for using them which makes collecting multiple allies fun instead of pointless.

Edited by Tvboy

Love the sound effects!

Edited by DKNecrosis

[spoiler][/spoiler]

It’s almost like the app knows how horrible a team consisting only of Gideon & MHD-1 is to run.

“Here, have a personal shield. Here, try on this environment hazard suit.” :lol:

Edited by FSD
1 hour ago, a1bert said:

Was that referring to my post? :)

2 hours ago, Tvboy said:

So it seems there's no way to account for supply cards like Valuable Goods and Chance Cubes? Has anyone figured those out?

Page 4 of the LOTA rulebook:

Remove the cards “ Valuable Goods ,” “Troop Data,” and “C1 Comlink” from the Supply card deck and return them to the game box. Then shuffle the Supply deck and place it facedown in reach of all players.

... they should also remove the “Pit Droid” and “ Chance Cubes ” Supply cards, respectively.

all i know is that i don't like it on my phone, this would work much better on a tablet

5 hours ago, Darth evil said:

all i know is that i don't like it on my phone, this would work much better on a tablet

Yea it sucks on phones. Tablets or steam is going to be my preferred platforms.

56 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

I'm very happy with my Surface, tablet AND Steam.

Is it me or the app only uses imperial and merc figures from the core Box?

I’ve added all my collection...

Edited by viktr
15 minutes ago, viktr said:

Is it me or the app only uses imperial and merc figures from the core Box?

I’ve added all my collection...

This is mentioned when they were putting out articles. The app supports all content except for the figures/villians from other boxes/blisters. They plan on adding support for more expansions in the future. Probably just takes more time to balance them is all.

53 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

This is mentioned when they were putting out articles. The app supports all content except for the figures/villians from other boxes/blisters. They plan on adding support for more expansions in the future. Probably just takes more time to balance them is all.

roger that, thanks!

I think the app is good for us cause of the amount of app downloads, ffg can see imperial assault is not dead at all.

7 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

It would definetly be better on a tablet, but it runs smoothly on my iphone7 and I don't have any trouble reading the texts.

31 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

It would definetly be better on a tablet, but it runs smoothly on my iphone7 and I don't have any trouble reading the texts.

It is more clicking the buttons on the sides of the screens.

On 2/12/2017 at 2:18 AM, jacenat said:

This app is the best thing since sliced bread.

Nah, just the best thing since the Descent RtL app ;)

We just played the tutorial for now, I can't wait to try the real missions :)

On 03/12/2017 at 1:54 AM, DKNecrosis said:

Was that referring to my post? :)

Yes... the subject of the post said "no story spoilers". Please go back and add spoiler tags to your post before somebody else reads it. You've already spoiled it for me :(

9 minutes ago, neosmagus said:

Yes... the subject of the post said "no story spoilers". Please go back and add spoiler tags to your post before somebody else reads it. You've already spoiled it for me :(

I am very sorry about that! I myself are very cautious about not being spoiled. But honestly, I didn’t feel like talking about figures included in the core pack, was regarded as any kind of story spoilers.

12 hours ago, Pedrusko said:

I think the app is good for us cause of the amount of app downloads, ffg can see imperial assault is not dead at all.

where do you see the amount of downloads?

I love that it randomly gives you Garbo items for free. I don't think I've ever seen things like Personal Shields and Portable medkit get taken because they are just way too expensive for what they do, so it's nice to just get them for free and get to try them out. The medkit had been especially useful, on Onar it allows him to heal up to 12 damage from a single rest action when used with a mission medkit.

3 hours ago, Armandhammer said:

where do you see the amount of downloads?

The Google Play store gives a range (currently 5,000-10,000). I'm not sure about other methods.

On 12/2/2017 at 2:16 PM, Armandhammer said:

- Reading! My biggest fear came true. Not a major problem but in-app narration would be greatly appreciated.

- In an ideal world, the app would track hero and imperial figures so the app could do all the heavy lifting for imperial activations.

It’s not enjoyable pausing to discuss situations that involve the Imperial Rule: some will want to make sure that it’s the most punishing move to make while others are more lenient with it. I can't imagine it feeling very good if a player finds an optimal game winning move the figure could’ve made and mentions it aloud after a decision was finalized.

Even if the imperial figure’s decision is left to chance, it’s really just a waste of time.

Agree. The whole point of wanting the app was automation. Your having to play both the characters AND the “AI”. I’m also surprised that you didn’t mention that NONE of the campaigns from the boxes are playable. The “AI” (it really isn’t), basically just bull rushes with no strategy at all.

At BARE minimum, it needs to be able to track its own location on the board, as well as player locations and wounds for it to even be able to act strategically and remove concerns about objectivity such as the ones mentioned.

My only question at this point would be...what the HECK were they doing this whole time?

Edited by ElizLestrad

Sometimes I wish there was a way to unlike a post. :(

Started a 2nd campaign with Loku and was surprised to see a line inserted into Capt Darpik's introduction where she calls him out by name. That was cool, anybody else notice any custom messages like this for certain heroes?

27 minutes ago, ElizLestrad said:

Agree. The whole point of wanting the app was automation. Your having to play both the characters AND the “AI”. I’m also surprised that you didn’t mention that NONE of the campaigns from the boxes are playable. The “AI” (it really isn’t), basically just bull rushes with no strategy at all.

At BARE minimum, it needs to be able to track its own location on the board, as well as player locations and wounds for it to even be able to act strategically and remove concerns about objectivity such as the ones mentioned.

my only question at this point would be...what the HECK were they doing g this whole time.

Did you not read FFG's articles about the app? They are very clear in all of them that the app isn't meant to be used with existing campaigns, so I didn't feel a need to mention what FFG made very clear.

The AI actually does a lot of hit-and-run with its 2nd action. Most stormtroopers will reposition to 4 spaces away after they attack you so as to make you waste movement getting to them, and the Royal Guards will move to protect as many Imperials as possible after they hit you. The Imperial rules comes up seldomly IME if you are playing the AI rules correctly. Whether you have a figure end it's movement in this space or that, is rarely of much consequence and not worth agonizing over.

They couldn't just have everything be tracked in the app, because if the game is playable without any physical components then FFG gets sued by EA for making a Star Wars video game. I think you may have set your expectations too high for what an app assisted board game can do without becoming a video game.

The only thing I don't like about the AI right now is target priority, specifically that's it's very easy to make the Imperials waste attacks on wounded heroes instead of hunting down the remaining healthy heroes that have run away. I think when I do my next campaign, to amp up the difficulty I will introduce a new rule for the AI to completely ignore wounded heroes for targeting, engaging and repositioning unless all other healthy heroes are completely blocked off and the Imperials only possible targets even with "Move [infinite] to attack" would be a wounded hero. I've already tried this with the first mission and it makes it so much more challenging when all those bad guys start rushing the Rebel base to find that last healthy hero hiding by all the crates.

2 hours ago, ElizLestrad said:

The whole point of wanting the app was automation.

At BARE minimum, it needs to be able to track its own location on the board, as well as player locations and wounds

Do you have a suggestion about how that could be implemented without adding huge amounts of work transferring that information between the table and the app?

You would need a camera system and a reliable pattern recognition to differentiate figures that have been painted with various color schemes to have automatic tracking of figure locations.

You would need to have dice rolling in the app to make damage calculation automatic. You would need to manipulate all hero abilities in the app to make the damage calculation automatic. (Or you would be spending massive amounts of time clicking the app. See the Mansions of Madness 2nd ed app, where attacks are much less frequent.)

You would have the whole game in the app by then. What use is the physical core game then? You would end up with a videogame and need to charge for it, inviting licensing squabbles.

Edited by a1bert