Flying Chariot, Standing - Unicorn Follow-Up Fiction

By ElSuave, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

"Even though this visit was unofficial, no ambassador—much less a family daimyō—could be expected to travel without some protection, even within the safest part of the capital."

Somebody should tell that to Yasuki Taka.

I was hoping the title was alluding to Shahai's adventures in the capital teaching the Imperials about nemuranai... I was not disappointed...

Edited by Soshi Nimue
10 minutes ago, Soshi Nimue said:

I was hoping the title was alluding to Shahai's adventures in the capital teaching the Imperials about nemuranai

Teaching meishodo. Nemuranai are something else.

Great story, some love for the Unicorn, Kamoko develops and Tadaji shines.

And seems in this reality, Miya Satoshi is still a duckhead.

I half wish they’d stop writing fiction that makes Unicorn so damned awesome. Makes me sad I’m not playing them. But then I try, lose and go back to Mountain’s Anvil Castle.

Pretty sweet fiction IMO. Best one for Unicorn so far I think, although the dynasty pack one was on point.

When I read the line about Tadaji not liking Shoji I was fully anticipating his win in the end, and was a bit let down when the story broke and didn't continue describing the game. The win being revealed at the end was nice. I always liked the catch of a character not liking something, but still being very good at it.

Edited by shosuko

Between this fiction and the meeting between Taka and Yoshi, there seems to be a pattern of smug complacency among the Imperial officials in regards to at least certain clans. Intentional slights aside, it does seem odd that Miya Satoshi so easily lost composure over losing the game. Although I suppose in a private, unofficial meeting with someone he clearly considers to be unimportant, he can afford to do so.

Tadaji totally "Quigly Downundered" that last line :lol: I loved it!

30 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Between this fiction and the meeting between Taka and Yoshi, there seems to be a pattern of smug complacency among the Imperial officials in regards to at least certain clans. Intentional slights aside, it does seem odd that Miya Satoshi so easily lost composure over losing the game. Although I suppose in a private, unofficial meeting with someone he clearly considers to be unimportant, he can afford to do so.

Satoshi is still as he was in old lore, a brash, impulsive and disrespectful man, who wish his family were warriors and not heralds.

Wonder if there's a helm as well in this reality.

If Ide Tadaji is correct that Miya and Otomo favor war between Lion and Unicorn, it's hard to explain Miya Satoshi acting so rudely. After all, he would have just received very good news. Is he really so "brash" that losing at shogi would overcome his happiness at the news that Lion and Unicorn are fighting?

Perhaps Ide Tadaji was expected to let Miya Satoshi win as a sign of deference and that's what pissed him off.

Believe me, it's as simple as that, he is a bastard (He was the main villain in time of the void campaign. Pure Imperial megalomaniac breed)

Sure, in the old fluff they even gave him a cool dad to emphasize how awful he was.

Imperials are Jerks.

Winter Court IV already knew this....

Edit: Good read. Still need more Dragon action....

Edited by Coyote Walks
More!
1 minute ago, Coyote Walks said:

Still need more Dragon action....

Hopefully by Marie Brennan.

Yeah, considering how early on Dragon was previewed, it makes me kinda sad that we've gone this long without anything new focused on them. That being said, we have a brief mention of Perfect Land Sect and its ties (or lack thereof) to the Dragon character in Garden of Lies. And now we have another reference to PLS with a Dragon delegation come to petition the emperor directly about troubles with the sect. Seems that whatever is going on in the mountains, the sect is at the heart of it.

3 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Hopefully by Marie Brennan.

She does do good dragons. And also in L5R.

In The Rising Wave , Mirumoto Masahige is not eager to deal with the PLS. What changed since then so that it has come to open discussion in the Imperial Court? I would really love to hear the substance of their petition.

Would make for a good story angle from a Phoenix POV, hopefully Kaede's.

Edited by Manchu
7 minutes ago, Manchu said:

In The Rising Wave , Mirumoto Masahige is not eager to deal with the PLS. What changed since then so that it has come to open discussion in the Imperial Court? I would really love to hear the substance of their petition.

Would make for a good story angle from a Phoenix POV, hopefully Kaede's.

A Phoenix POV would be interesting, but I would also be interested in learning more from Agasha Sumiko's perspective. Since she's both a Dragon and the Ruby Champion, it seems like a great opportunity to get that unique perspective of someone who is both a member of the clan in question and an imperial magistrate. Plus it seems like a good time to introduce us to a new character who will likely be unofficially covering the Emerald Champion's duties (I suspect) until the championship can be held. It would seem strange to introduce all these other key figures, even if only briefly, without bringing her into the story.

I absolutely love the recently spoiled art for Agasha Sumiko. A very handsome woman, indeed. Plus awesome flavour text.

It's a shame she has only come up a single time in the fiction and even then just basically indicating that she (a) exists and (b) is the Ruby Champion. I have a feeling we will see more of her if Hotaru decides to look into the circumstances of her father's death.

Also, I wonder if she can enter the Emerald Tournament?

4 hours ago, Manchu said:

"Even though this visit was unofficial, no ambassador—much less a family daimyō—could be expected to travel without some protection, even within the safest part of the capital."

"But muh peasant travelin'!"

Taka isn't much of a daimyo. I blame the stain of Kolat Lame.

2 hours ago, Coyote Walks said:

Edit: Good read. Still need more Dragon action....

Yep. Dragon are the only core faction right now that has only a single POV fiction under their belt. When the Phoenix have more story presence than you do, it's time to start agitatin'!

ANYway.

Nice to see Kamoko Kamoko-ing.

Tadaji was extremely well-written- his closing line may be the best end to a fiction we've seen in this continuity.

Satoshi's a scumsucking jerk. And a fool. Some things never change, and the Imperial Court's essential indifference to the travails of the Empire is telling.

The Crab get no help.

The Scorpion's presumed puppet has showed signs of cutting his strings.

The Phoenix had their counsel ignored (this is the least grounds for being jerks of those listed here, of course, but still and all... the Council in O5R did pretty dangerous crap over less)

The Unicorn's polished courtly daimyo gets insulted by a condescending Miya git, and a sort of blanket permission for violence is in the offing.

The Lion are more or less being left to their own devices by the Imperial Court, encountering no appreciable Imperial interference, but they get no support in their tiff with the Unicorn, and their leadership crisis promises to be a bad one.

The Crane have a succession headache of their own, albeit a different one, and might well become desperate.

The Dragon... well, who the **** knows what they're up to, but they're altering a long-standing pattern of behavior based upon oracular visions of Nasty.

This train is on the rails, for now, but... things stand to get really ugly really soon.

Can't wait!

18 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

This train is on the rails, for now, but... things stand to get really ugly really soon.

Can't wait!

Yogo Junzo-dono is currently locked up in the basement checking out some interesting scrolls in black parchment.

Edited by Yogo Rye X
5 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Tadaji totally "Quigly Downundered" that last line :lol: I loved it!

OH SNAP! That is what I was thinking too!

Mind you, when I read the 'I don't really like the game' bit, I thought "Quigly Down Under twist coming". :P

11 hours ago, Manchu said:

You could assume they weren't mentioned due to being irrelevant to the story. Or take it as a sign of how badly every soldier is needed on the wall.

8 hours ago, Manchu said:

Also, I wonder if she can enter the Emerald Tournament?

If she does we're going to need a new Ruby Champion.

5 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Taka isn't much of a daimyo. I blame the stain of Kolat Lame.

He's certainly no Jinn-Kuen. He'll get better once he becomes Master Jade again.