The Chrysanthemum Throne Story - Court Games

By ElSuave, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

My favorite whipping boy gets a POV!

Which does little to dispel my opinion of him. But Toshimoko didn't disappoint.

Also... gotta love the Emperor shocking all of his complacent courtiers by simply taking actions.

Well, if my opinion about Kakita Yoshi wasn’t exactly a good one, this fiction just makes it worse.

He strikes me as a cruel and presumptuous man. Now I’m more convinced that his conversation with Taka was not only to deny him what he wanted, but also to do it in the most insulting and cruel way possible.

I note that we get confirmation of the date, finally.

Nice fiction. Yay, for Crane tragedy. The images that popped in my head when reading Yoshi's POV is Toshiro Hitsugaya from Bleach.

Hitsugaya.Toushirou.full.492281.jpg

And Griffith from Berserk.

WhrwApX.png

And as usual, I will defend the Imperial Chancellor.

We can consider whether Kakita Yoshi is cruel by considering his opinion of Doji Satsume. Toshimoko remembers Satsume as the man who drove their sister to suicide. Yoshi remembers their sister as a woman who chose death over the hard road of improvement. By Yoshi's estimation, it is proper for the champion to demand the highest standards of the Clan. Therefore, he remembers Satsume as a great man.

Yes, he considers Satsume to be a nobler person than his own sister. He believes Satsume's spirit no doubt resides in Yomi, while Teinko's languishes in Meido. Is it cruel to think so? Or is it merely sentimental to think otherwise?

In Rokugan, duty to one's family, clan, and to the Empire comes before one's personal feelings. By this standard, Kakita Yoshi clearly strives for bushido.

Of course, a samurai is also compassionate. Do not overlook how Kakita Yoshi responds to Kakita Yuri: "Ordinarily he would only entertain such a request in return for something ... useful. That the request came from his own clan, and one of his direct vassals, made little difference. As chancellor, he served only the Emperor." Kakita Yuri had nothing to offer Kakita Yoshi and he had no special claim as he had only done his rightful duty. But, probably for this very reason, Kakita Yoshi granted the request and even said: "We shall ensure no harm comes to Lady Asami or her retinue."

It's strange that people have no problem with a man who fights with a sword but a man who fights with words is said to be cruel unless his words are only honey. In word and deed, Kakita Yoshi is a deadly but most honorable samurai.

No, his opinion about Doji Satsume is the least of my worries.

I’m gonna post the moment when I realized this guy is a sadist:

“Failure in even the most minute detail would bring shame to the perpetrator, and then apology, dismissal to some distant and obscure post, or even seppuku. But everything was as it should be, a fact that left Yoshi both satisfied and slightly disappointed.”

Really. He’s disappointed nobody has to suffer.

Oh, and following your warrior/courtier analogy: this guy is the only guy that goes with a weapon (his fan) to the court. He even takes pride on it. That’s like being a warrior and having pride in fighting with an unfair advantage, be it with a weapon against unarmed enemies, or carrying a concealed weapon.

No time for more now, but really, this guy likes causing pain.

"... both satisfied and slightly disappointed." (my emphasis)

He is satisfied that everything is in order. Why would he be slightly disappointed? You claim, he is disappointed that he does not get to hurt someone. I disagree. What matters to him is order. His slight disappointment lies in there being no opportunity to rebuke disorder.

This comes up earlier in the story, when he does not recognize Toshimoko on the garden path to the Crane embassy. He doesn't feel delight in getting to chew out whoever is rudely blocking his way; he feels righteous irritation that someone would breach etiquette by doing so. It's the same with their sister. He takes no pleasure in Teinko's suicide. But he does judge her for not striving to live up to Satsume's exacting standards.

Kakita Yoshi is unquestionably harsh. Again, welcome to Rokugan.

BTW the author explicitly spells out why Kakita Yoshi carries a tessen and it isn't sadism. If Kakita Yoshi is a sadist, why didn't he take advantage of Kakita Yuri's pain and anxiety?

Edited by Manchu

Everyone has flaws says he. Indeed as he has many. Despite his indubitable skill at courtiering also brought by position, he is a cursed man from the greatest duellist family, unable to touch steel. He is very strong and very weak at the same time, and indeed represent in some way a paragon of Bushido. He is inhuman, cold and detached. Yet humanity manifest in this mix of sadism and compassion.

Yoshi is probably a psychopath. that he was already or became because of the "job" is another question.

Otherwise, very interested by the Emperor's edict and it's aftermath. Sad for the unicorn who loses a chance to shine. But the sudden move from the emperor is good drama and between him and his heirs things are moving in the Hantei line. The Imperial family is interesting and not much exploited well in the old L5R (the Hantei line got extinct quickly, and Hantei xvi was a Saturday morning cartoons villain)

And there an Emerald champion contest coming soon. Maybe at the end of the next cycle. I'd so wish an Emerald Championship multiclan deluxe box, with high profile clans characters and tons of good neutral cards.

5 minutes ago, Nitenman said:

And there an Emerald champion contest coming soon. Maybe at the end of the next cycle. I'd so wish an Emerald Championship multiclan deluxe box, with high profile clans characters and tons of good neutral cards.

I think an Emerald Champ deluxe box with new 5 costers for everyone would be really awesome. My hope for the deluxe boxes is that they really advance the story line in a meaningful way for all the clans.

18 minutes ago, Nitenman said:

he is a cursed man from the greatest duellist family, unable to touch steel.

has this been confirmed in the new canon? the reference to the fan may point to this conclusion, but it could just be a normal courtier trick

Not confirmed so far indeed, but it would be expected. So far it seems the basis of the lore, and portrayal of many character is roughly the same, like Toshimoko's rudeness, Satsume's harshness, Shizue and Tadaji's handicap, Kachiko's style, Miya Satoshi's behaviour. It feels it's the exact same persons than pre-coup setting. It's just the unfolding of events that changes.

Makes sense to me. Adds depth the emphasis on him carrying a tessen in court/why he wants to remind people court is also a battlefield; in fact, the battlefield.

1 hour ago, Tabris2k said:

No, his opinion about Doji Satsume is the least of my worries.

I’m gonna post the moment when I realized this guy is a sadist:

“Failure in even the most minute detail would bring shame to the perpetrator, and then apology, dismissal to some distant and obscure post, or even seppuku. But everything was as it should be, a fact that left Yoshi both satisfied and slightly disappointed.”

Really. He’s disappointed nobody has to suffer.

Oh, and following your warrior/courtier analogy: this guy is the only guy that goes with a weapon (his fan) to the court. He even takes pride on it. That’s like being a warrior and having pride in fighting with an unfair advantage, be it with a weapon against unarmed enemies, or carrying a concealed weapon.

No time for more now, but really, this guy likes causing pain.

Eh, not seeing the sadist part in Yoshi. If you want a sadist, look no further then Hantei XVI, The Steel Chrysanthemum.

COM071.jpg

I'm still unclear about whether Yoshi is a dragon or a dinosaur. I get that Toad is a mushroom and Bowser is some sort of punk rock psycho turtle on 'roids. I'm still in the dark about what Yoshi is.......other than that he's an a-hole. Like why should he have all that extra acceleration when Mario and Luigi are just average? Wtf, the game is called MARIO Kart! Shouldn't Mario be the best? Wouldn't it make sense that Luigi would also be really good since he's Mario's brother? Power to the Plumbers!

What were we talking about again.......oh yeah, Yoshi...........I fricken hate that guy.

If you ask a Crab, Yoshi is a toad.

So I think this solidifies Yoshi as the antagonist of the Crane. He will serve as the villain whenever Crane are the oppressors. The story was well written, vividly detailing his thoughts and interactions with close relatives like Toshimoko, and political rivals like Kachiko. I don't doubt he thinks of the Emperor the same way, respecting him only for his position but considering his weaknesses as a man.

I don't think the curse of Yoshi is on him in this world though... He carries a weapon. While this isn't a sword, I wouldn't chance prophecy with details like that... His card as 2 MIL, and while people speculate this is because he always has bodyguards, he didn't have them when he met with Toshimoko... so I'm going to assume that is out of play until the fiction reads otherwise.

I do like how he holds resentment against Toshimoko - hating him even to this day for responding to provocation as if Yoshi was innocent when he gets dumped in the pond. He couldn't remember why Toshimoko did this bad thing to him, but he did remember Toshimoko doing it. A common fault for a good villain is being able to see themselves as the victims, who give all of their effort to be the best in spite of all context and civility. I bet he wears a MAGA hat too lol

Edited by shosuko
42 minutes ago, shosuko said:

So I think this solidifies Yoshi as the antagonist of the Crane. He will serve as the villain whenever Crane are the oppressors.

Pretty much this. Despite the attempts of his sole ardent defender on these forums, his narrative role is clearly not that of someone we're supposed to get behind- note that this story also features a Crane hero- which Toshimoko totally is based on the old lore- giving him a bit of a verbal slap.

Pretty sure every clan is going to get their share of fools, sadists, and lunatics- Kachiko may be a beloved Scorpion character, but she's very much the villain thus far. Tsukune seems posed for heroism, but we've got plenty of Elemental Masters to see as arrogant ivory tower gits. And so forth.

@shosuko Have you ever heard the expression, you don't know your own strength? What a physically strong person thinks is a nudge a physicallyweak person feels as a punch. Perhaps Toshimoko does not remember that he almost murdered his own brother. From his point of view, perhaps it was nothing so serious. But I bet he does remember whatever words Yoshi used. Not every blow is physical. For the same reason, Yoshi doesn't remember the words but he does remember almost drowning. And he does remember how sensitive Toshimoko can be to words.

As for being a villain, I don't see it - Kakita Yoshi is flawed, but in human terms rather than in samurai terms. His devotion to the righteous and upright way of his culture and class make it difficult for him to sympathize with the more basic, human sentiments."Perfect imperfection," as @DGLaderoute points out in the story - although you could say it in reverse, as well, when it comes to Kakita Yoshi.

But Kachiko ... I know it is in the nature of Scorpion to sting but is it also his nature to delight in the hurt?

Edited by Manchu
48 minutes ago, Manchu said:

@shosuko Have you ever heard the expression, you don't know your own strength? What a physically strong person thinks is a nudge a physicallyweak person feels as a punch. Perhaps Toshimoko does not remember that he almost murdered his own brother. From his point of view, perhaps it was nothing so serious. But I bet he does remember whatever words Yoshi used. Not every blow is physical. For the same reason, Yoshi doesn't remember the words but he does remember almost drowning. And he does remember how sensitive Toshimoko can be to words.

But Kachiko ... I know it is in the nature of Scorpion to sting but is it also his nature to delight in the hurt?

I'm not sure I get what you mean, so my reply may be off base...

Of course Toshimoko remembers it differently, but we aren't asking Toshimoko what he remembers. Have you ever caught 2 kids being mean to each other and you ask one of them what they were doing and it's all like "I'm innocent, I was just sitting there playing my games and they came in and did x mean thing" and then you talk to the other and its the same story but in reverse lol

Yoshi conveniently has no clue what he did which lead to Toshimoko dunking him in the pond. He only remembers that his brother can react emotionally. He doesn't accept responsibility for his part in those actions, and in doing so shows that while he believes everyone else is flawed he holds no such criticism on himself. There is no self-reflection.

Example: He doesn't see any issue with putting the Unicorn first in line ahead of the Lion even though neither have shown any reason to be first. When he hears that the Emperor will put a halt on pretty much everything these people in this room want to do he eyes Kachiko and hates her for it as if she were somehow playing the game any differently than he was. "I will not forget" he says...

I'm not sure what your last line means either... Are you saying its okay for Yoshi to take pleasure in crippling people with political power but then asking if its also okay for him to revel in seeing the fuming Lion courtier in 3rd place? Or is this actually addressed at Kachiko?

Edited by shosuko
58 minutes ago, Manchu said:

If a politician as skilled as Kachiko is showing "delight in the hurt" (ESPECIALLY if they're doing it on the Dais of the Imperial Court Chamber) it's for a specific, calculated reason, intended to achieve some desired outcome. This is particularly true for the Scorpion, who are all about masks, but it's by no means unique to them.

@shosuko Thank your for the opportunity to clarify my points. Imagine if someone asked Toshimoko, remember when you almost murdered your brother? He would not because it was never in his heart to do so. Yet, Yoshi remembers Toshimoko almost drowning him. Similarly, I doubt it was ever in Yoshi's heart to so deeply hurt his brother so he cannot remember what words caused the hurt. He sees a flaw in his brother - being too passionate. But he doesn't see his own flaw - being too dispassionate. The reason is, being dispassionate about such things is not supposed to be a flaw. Indeed, for a courtier it is supposed to be a great strength. Bushi never think they are too brave, for example.

To be precise, the story does not say Kakita Yoshi took pleasure in Ikoma Ujiaki's anger - just that he ignored it. But for the sake of argument, let's say he did take pleasure in it. Why? The Lion delegation simply demanded pride of place, they just assumed the first hearing was theirs by right. Rebuking such impertinence is exactly what a righteous servant of the Emperor should delight in. I can admire Crane so deeply because I can concede that Lion is sometimes too strident.

As to Scorpion: recall how Scorpion stung Frog - whether he wished to or not, indeed at the cost of his own life, he was bound by his nature. But did Scorpion enjoy Frog's pain? It wasn/t enough for Kachiko to anticipate Kakita Yoshi's compassion toward Kakita Yuri. It was not enough to outmaneuver him. She had to sign it, with the fan.

@DGLaderoute Yes, I have no doubt that Kachiko wanted Kakita Yoshi to blame her. But I also noticed that you did not write Kakita Yoshi mistakenly assuming her flaw is the need to gloat. The story ends with him still not sure of her flaw. And what upright servant of the Emperor could even guess it? Even her own husband is taken aback by Kachiko's ambitions.

As for delighting in the hurt, I was more referring to her manipulation of Doji Hotaru (something I do find repulsive).

Edited by Manchu

I like how we have a case of life imitating art since so many are quick to label Yoshi a villain just like the characters are quick to label Satsume as one.

I think his main flaw is being so overconfident in his position that he can't imagine himself being outmaneuvered.

Given the Crane's precarious position right now he's probably their single greatest asset. Even if he's unwilling to show favoritism he can't help but see the world from a Crane's point of view.

Also, we finally have the reason for his reaction to Taka. Childhood trauma resulting in a lifelong aversion to carp.

One thing I took from this as well was as no more things are really going to be done at court till the champion is selected. Depending on time scale this really does slow down the prospect of mantis becoming a major clan which a lot of people have been Hoping for

True to the card, Kachiko came late (conflict character coming into play) and bowed Yoshi out hehehe

I do hope they are able to save Asami-chan eventually.

Edited by Yogo Rye X