Sneaky Crabs

By EdgeOfDreams, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

Quick reminder of what the Covert ability does: " When this character attacks, choose one character without covert. That character cannot be declared as a defender."

With the latest expansion, Into The Forbidden City, Crab is now the only clan that features two different Covert characters - Kaiu Shuichi and Hiruma Skirmisher . As the so-called "dropbears" decks have already proven, Covert is a powerful tool that can create surprise province breaks. This inspired me to try making a similar deck with Crab.

For a splash, Crane, Scorpion, and Dragon can all give you an additional source of Covert. Of those, Crane appeals to me the most because of Admit Defeat . You can potentially Covert all but one of your opponent's defenders, then bow their lone defender. Political Rival also fits with Crab's defensive theme and helps cover your Political weakness.

The end result is something like this deck: https://fiveringsdb.com/strains/a4e9a214-d245-11e7-86fc-8e1ccf16fca4/view

I'm sure the deck could be refined further, of course. I'm interested to hear what people think of this more aggressive take on Crab that can still also pressure Dishonor and win on defense often enough to play the resource-advantage long game.

I can see your idea.

I think if I were to do this the splash would be Dragon. TATTOOED WANDERER is more versatile as an attachment to provide Covert where you need it. HIRUMA SKIRMISHER is limited because it has a dash...if it were a zero I'd be so much happier with that card (but for 1 it is tough to complain). I love ADMIT DEFEAT, but MIRUMOTO'S FURY is better and essentially serves the same purpose with less restrictions, just defensively rather than offensively.

Where exactly has dropbears been proven? I don't recall seeing a top 8 or 16 deck utilizing the theme.

3 hours ago, Kubernes said:

Where exactly has dropbears been proven? I don't recall seeing a top 8 or 16 deck utilizing the theme.

Maybe it was just at some smaller tournaments. I haven't really been paying attention to all the tournament results.

Someone went 6-2 with it at worlds.