New and Old Stories In Rokugan

By Yukishiro, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

New player, new poster, but I've been following the setting through the rpg books for years now. I have to say, as someone new to the overall L5R community I'm excited about the open future with FFG. That said, I notice there's a lot of discussion in the forums in regards to meta knowledge of the setting and events which happened in Old5R happening here. So I wanted to open the floor for people, which would you rather see as the setting goes forward, mostly events we've seen before in the old setting (albeit presented in FFG's style), or new things cooked up by FFG for the setting. Of course a mix of both is fine too, I just want to know how people feel about how what happened in Old5R influencing the progression of the story in the reboot.

I'm torn, actually.

On the one hand, a lot of the stories in O5R (Kolat, Gozoku, the Lying Darkness, the Four Winds) had a lot of underutilized potential... but on the other hand, retreading old ground feels kind of wasteful, you know?

I wouldn't mind seeing some older stories or elements of stories reused, but I would very much prefer if they avoided retelling the same stories in the same way.

I want the new to honor the old. For example; Yakamo and Hitomi should have some sort of rivalry, but it doesn't have to end with them becoming the Son and Moon. I want Shinjo Yasamura and Hida O-Ushi to hook up and have twins, but it doesn't have to be in a silly contest for her hand. I'd like to see Toturi unite the clans, but he could do it as say Shogun not a new Emperor.

As for retrying big events, I'd be okay with seeing a clan war leading to a Second Day of Thunder, but after that mix up the story beats. The Kolat, Lying Darkness, Spirit Wars all could be good stories this time around, but don't make it predictable.

4 hours ago, Yukishiro said:

New player, new poster, but I've been following the setting through the rpg books for years now. I have to say, as someone new to the overall L5R community I'm excited about the open future with FFG. That said, I notice there's a lot of discussion in the forums in regards to meta knowledge of the setting and events which happened in Old5R happening here. So I wanted to open the floor for people, which would you rather see as the setting goes forward, mostly events we've seen before in the old setting (albeit presented in FFG's style), or new things cooked up by FFG for the setting. Of course a mix of both is fine too, I just want to know how people feel about how what happened in Old5R influencing the progression of the story in the reboot.

I want my old setting knowledge to become increasingly worthless as the story moves forward.

About the only thing I really want to see carried through is Tsukune becoming Fortune of Rebirth, and that's purely selfish.

It helps that, as a Phoenix fan, I generally regard my favorite great clan as having been either shafted or forgotten in the old continuity for arc after arc after arc.

5 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

I want my old setting knowledge to become increasingly worthless as the story moves forward.

This, absolutely this. I love the old lore, but I want to see a different Rokugan in this version. We can still have the Clan War, but this time with the Scorpion as a full power, rather that from behind the scenes/throne. Perhaps a mix of the two heirs from Ivory Edition and the death of the Emperor leading to a rift between the clans and being the real cause of the Clan War.

Part of the fun is the tension between the old and new.

If somehow the Hantei line could be preserved ... ah, perhaps that is asking too much?

There are two princes. In the old canon, iirc, Satorii's brother was never mentioned until Daigotsu's background was revealed. Now I could be wrong, because I did not play during Celestial and Samourai edition, but I don't recall a mention of Hantei XXXVIII having two sons in the pre-Jade fictions.

8 hours ago, Ser Nakata said:

There are two princes. In the old canon, iirc, Satorii's brother was never mentioned until Daigotsu's background was revealed. Now I could be wrong, because I did not play during Celestial and Samourai edition, but I don't recall a mention of Hantei XXXVIII having two sons in the pre-Jade fictions.

In the old fiction there was one heirs to 38th however his wife was pregnant when a group of Bloodspeakers kidnapped her and the toddler heir (I believe he was 3 or 4 at the time) while they were traveling to a winter court. They incident was spotted by a poor Ronin named Yotsu who had way to many kids and he and his family tracked them back to their hideout and realizing that they planned to sacrifice the Empress and the Heir he tried to rescue them. He couldn't save the Empress but he did manage to rescue the Heir and replace him with one of his children (yes father of the year here). He made it back to the capital with the Heir and was rewarded by being able to found his own family with the Yotsu name by the Emperor and given a small piece of land to govern as his own.

As for the Empress she ended up giving birth to her child while a prisoner of the Bloodspeakers and they enacted a ritual on her and the child Yotsu had left behind to bind them to spirits of Jigoku, before banishing them to the realm to draw on its power. The child eventually grew up to become Daigotsu, the founder of the Spider Clan, and the child of Yotsu became Goju Kyojin his yojimbo and chief enforcer. The first mention of the second heir was made during the way of the Ronin book where the origin of the Yotsu family was given, however they only mention that the Empress and her unborn child were never found. During the four winds era when Daigotsu was introduced we were eventually given his back ground and his connection to the last Emperor was revealed.

13 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

The first mention of the second heir was made during the way of the Ronin book where the origin of the Yotsu family was given, however they only mention that the Empress and her unborn child were never found. During the four winds era when Daigotsu was introduced we were eventually given his back ground and his connection to the last Emperor was revealed.

That seems a little far-fetched for me. I don't think it was an original intent, but some later addition to justify Daigotsu's claim to the throne.

But ok, fine.

5 hours ago, Ser Nakata said:

That seems a little far-fetched for me. I don't think it was an original intent, but some later addition to justify Daigotsu's claim to the throne.

But ok, fine.

Par for the course where Daigotsu was concerned. That character deformed the setting to an extent other mortals can only envy.

We got enough different yet familiar to start us up and I hope FFG goes 100% it's own way moving forawrd.

Old stories have already been told and there is no point in rehashing them imho.

9 hours ago, Ser Nakata said:

But ok, fine.

Not really. The RPG books in question were released during the hidden Emperor period and the writers on it were Rich Wulf, Shawn Carman with Ree Soesbee contributing material as well (note all three were at various times story lead for the game) so I think its safe to say that the Daigotsu claim was being set up in that book to begin with.

2 hours ago, pete19 said:

We got enough different yet familiar to start us up and I hope FFG goes 100% it's own way moving forawrd.

Old stories have already been told and there is no point in rehashing them imho.

I don't necessarily want the old stories retold exactly but the I would like similar concepts told from a new perspective, hopefully fixing some of the misplays from the old story that were imposed by tourney result story prizes skewing results based on relative clan strengths.

I hope strongly that they go in new directions. As much as all of us who played before have stories we treasure, there were also stories we hated (no doubt different ones for different people), and even ones we thought were unspeakably lame. Rehashing those plot lines will likely upset both their fans ("it was better last time"), and upset their haters ("oh god not this again"), while boring the people who remember them, and spoiling the enjoyment of people seeing them for the first time (as we all argue about the previous versions).

We have a new game, and a new community, even if it does have a lot of returning fans — better to let it stand on its own feet. At the very least the input of story prizes will force things in new directions, and I think trying to keep to the old story anyway would cheapen those prizes.

Most of all I want to be surprised, like I could finally be in the last couple of Game of Thrones seasons, not spending all my time going "oh and now this will happen".