Twin Troopers Podcast: The Grand Inquisitor

By dietz057, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Quiz is currently a Tier 2 unit in @theaficionado 's Grand Tier List . The more I think about him, the more I wonder if he shouldn't be Tier 3 because of all the issues we've all brought up in this thread.

You know me, I'd like to tinker. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to drop his cost to be in line with Maul (7) and give him either a natural +1 DMG or give him the Brawler trait. If he was kept at cost 9, he'd probably need +1 DMG, Brawler and something to increase his survivability. Just spitballing, I'd like to see him get +2 BLOCK for Defensive and lose the DODGE (convert it to a blank). That would make his white die results look like this (regular white die roll results in parenthesis):

• 2 BLOCK (blank)
  • 1 BLOCK (1 block)
  • 2 BLOCK 1 EVADE (1 evade)
  • 1 BLOCK 1 EVADE (1 block 1 evade)
  • 1 BLOCK 1 EVADE (1 block 1 evade)
  • 2 BLOCK (dodge)

With that change, you can run Quiz up the middle and expect him to take at least 3 powerful attacks to kill him, maybe more with Zillo. But it keeps him from being a cheaper, better Vader because he still is limited to one attack or Saber Throw per round by his own abilities.

16 hours ago, cnemmick said:

Quiz is currently a Tier 2 unit in @theaficionado 's Grand Tier List . The more I think about him, the more I wonder if he shouldn't be Tier 3 because of all the issues we've all brought up in this thread.

Maybe. But there are a bunch of interesting upsides with him as well. First, he is a Hunter. Assassinate and Tools for the job combined with his dice pool means a lot of ouch for an opponent. Second, his Lighsaber throw separates him from other melee troops when it comes to threat range/radius. Third, he is a very sturdy piece. High HP and a buffed White is not bad. If he had speed 6 or a conditional speed buff, i would play him a lot more.

But all and all I Think the biggest downside is he is too dicey. With no reroll, the chance of him doing way too Little for the effort needed to get him into Place is a bit too high.

5 hours ago, Ram said:

Maybe. But there are a bunch of interesting upsides with him as well. First, he is a Hunter. Assassinate and Tools for the job combined with his dice pool means a lot of ouch for an opponent. Second, his Lighsaber throw separates him from other melee troops when it comes to threat range/radius. Third, he is a very sturdy piece. High HP and a buffed White is not bad. If he had speed 6 or a conditional speed buff, i would play him a lot more.

But all and all I Think the biggest downside is he is too dicey. With no reroll, the chance of him doing way too Little for the effort needed to get him into Place is a bit too high.

I appreciate your post -- there are upsides to him that'll help him fit into list. However, I think some of those upsides are currently not a good fit in the Imperial faction.

I think the Hunter trait isn't nearly as powerful of a trait in an Imperial list. To best utilize Hunter command cards, you have to 1) have as many Hunters as possible in your list, 2) draw as many cards as you can every turn and 3) amplify the damage of your Hunter figures through the cards AND beneficial conditions. Imperials have ways to work with requirements #1 and #2, but ultimately they have no way to Focus or Hide Hunters and have a very tough choice to make regarding Zillo Technique: Do you keep Zillo and have to choose to chuck your high-cost Hunter cards to keep Grand Inquisitor alive or not?

To me, it was telling that Jet Trooper lists -- not Hunter lists w/ Quiz, BT-1 and Temporary Alliance'd Weequays -- were the most effective Imperial lists before Heart of the Empire came out.

I do like his lightsaber throw, but I think his swingy dice negatively impact it too much. For it to be a worthwhile attack it needs to do either Pierce 3 or Cleave 3 DMG nearly every time. If you do the math of red-yellow (with no rerolls) vs. defense dice, you'll find this:

• Defense Die | Chance to get at least 1 SURGE after Defense results are applied
    • Black | 64.35%
    • White | 36.57%
    • Black w/ +1 EVADE | 21.30%
    • White w/ +1 EVADE | 9.72%

So even in the best situation (vs. black, no extra EVADE)... you have about 1 in 3 chance of NOT getting at least one SURGE. Again, the Imperial affiliation's inability to Focus or Hide figures easily hurts him. And if you bring in units like eClawdites to buff Quizzy with SURGE and DMG TOKENs, then you're dedicating list resources to maximize a once-per-activation attack that just uses red-yellow and averages roughly 3 DMG with a very slight chance to Cleave 3 DMG.

For his high cost, I think it's tough to work around these limitations that the Imperial faction puts on the Inquisitor. If he was a Rebel or Merc, he'd probably be very close to breaking into Tier 1 thanks to Rebel Care Package or Rebel Landing Gear. Imagine having Quizzy Focused on round 1... then is trailed by Hera, who'd give him a +1 SURGE for every attack... oh, my.

Ahem.

So, we're all agreed that The Grand Inquisitor is now a Rebel. Great! Somebody print up stickers so we can change the affiliation icon on his card.

Yes, i agree. The lack of hunters in the empire is troublesome. I will try him out with Temp alli for Vinto and Greedo along with two eJets and Terro I think. For some reason, eSentries feels like a nice partner for him too.

Just a brief note on the hunter cards. Assassinate i think is good enough to play as a signature card even if he is the only hunter.

Also on the lightsabre throw, i agree it is in no way a very strong ability. Its more of an emergency solution if not in range. He is "better" then the average melee character when failing to reach the opponent. :)

But all and all, Inq is probably stuck at tier 2 and probably as you say tier 3 and will hardly ever see play until we get more playable hunters for the imps or one or two really good Force users cards.

Edited by Ram
Added minor rant

The empire doesn't need hunters - just like the mercs don't need troopers or vehicles, etc. you've got to keep some differences between the factions otherwise, why have them at all.

Just like most figures, Inq works in some lists, he's not a must-take, but he is fun to play with. Not everything needs to be or should be Top tier competition level power.

2 hours ago, buckero0 said:

The empire doesn't need hunters - just like the mercs don't need troopers or vehicles, etc. you've got to keep some differences between the factions otherwise, why have them at all.

I think Hunters could work in a competitive Imperial list -- especially if there's any sort of future nerf to Focus and/or further buffs to close-range/melee figures. It's just that this Imperial Hunter doesn't work in a competitive Imperial list. (And, unless there's some sort of Great FAQ Fix, most older figures are just not going to work in competitive lists. MISS U LEIA.)

I ran the Quiz in Reddit Season 3, and it was a ton of fun., though he was disappointing overall. Most of my games people just ignored him (I also had Terro and BT, so those cheaper figures were considered bigger threats- which is sad). But it's hilarious to use him for change of plans with a BT1. I suppose you could use the Emperor really nicely by activating him twice in one round with that combo (change of plans), and that would be really strong, but who wants to build a list around one combo like that.

Yes, he is just a tad short performance wish... I really wish his command card was better or that there were some Empire only dark side Force utser cards that could spice things up.