LotA - bleeding & stunned

By Marcus2410, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

So in the appendix of the LotA rules the new conditions rules leave me a little confused.

Bleeding - I got it that the figure plays down to their last hit point but does the discarding of the bleeding condition count as an action? It doesn’t seem clear to me.

Stunned - this is very confusing to me and it might be more clear when the list of actions are available. From what I read it seems to say that the figure looses the movement points it might have gained when performing a move and then once the move action is resolved the stunned condition is removed. It doesn’t seem to say anything about not attacking, which is a major feature of stunning a figure.

Still, this in no way diminishes my eager anticipation!

If I have understood correctly, "Move X to Attack" effectively loses the Move X part. If an attack is not possible without moving, you skip to the next instruction.

Stunned is quite niche for rebels - there are quite few heroes that have or can get it. I think you would be better off building for damage instead of building for stunning. Stunned is only a temporary relief for the rebels. Eventually they need to defeat the figures (or ignore them) anyway. With the semi-random activation order of the imperial groups of the app, Stun/Stunned also isn't as certain relief than with a human opponent.

You can also make up your own house rules for Stunned.

Edited by a1bert

I too have a question about Stunned while playing LotA.

If I stun an E-Web Engineer, does that mean he only loses , and would still be able to double attack?

Or does he lose one of the attacks?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Conviction said:

I too have a question about Stunned while playing LotA.

If I stun an E-Web Engineer, does that mean he only loses , and would still be able to double attack?

Or does he lose one of the attacks?

Thanks!

Yep, it would still get two attacks. Which really goes against the whole condition of being stunned!

The only real benefit of stunning Imperial figures in the companion app is to prevent figures from getting an additional attack outside of their activation from a pesky officer.

Man, those freaking E-Web Engineer's are spitting HOT FIRE.

"Stunned: When an Imperial figure with the Stunned condition would gain movement points from a Move instruction, it gains no movement points instead. After an Imperial figure with the Stunned condition resolves a Move instruction , it discards the Stunned condition. Stunned Imperial figures cannot attack or voluntarily exit their space outside of their own activation."

My interpretation:

Reading p. 14 "Instruction List", the rules treat the entire line as an "instruction". If an instruction includes multiple things (move AND attack) that is still one instruction. The stunned condition isn't discarded until the "move instruction" is resolved. So if an instruction line includes "move AND attack", the attack is lost as part of the resolution of the "move instruction". Once the instruction (the entire line) is resolved, the figure is no longer stunned and may move (and attack) if an instruction further down the list instructs it to do so.

Incidentally, a line including "move AND attack" would also qualify as an "attack instruction".

Edited by cdj0902
On 2017/12/22 at 10:17 PM, cdj0902 said:

"Stunned: When an Imperial figure with the Stunned condition would gain movement points from a Move instruction, it gains no movement points instead. After an Imperial figure with the Stunned condition resolves a Move instruction , it discards the Stunned condition. Stunned Imperial figures cannot attack or voluntarily exit their space outside of their own activation."

My interpretation:

Reading p. 14 "Instruction List", the rules treat the entire line as an "instruction". If an instruction includes multiple things (move AND attack) that is still one instruction. The stunned condition isn't discarded until the "move instruction" is resolved. So if an instruction line includes "move AND attack", the attack is lost as part of the resolution of the "move instruction". Once the instruction (the entire line) is resolved, the figure is no longer stunned and may move (and attack) if an instruction further down the list instructs it to do so.

Incidentally, a line including "move AND attack" would also qualify as an "attack instruction".

Maybe request confirmation from FFG?

I've never gone through "official" channels to question a rule, I'm fine if someone wants to lead the charge on that. However, if there is another interpretation of Stunned I'd want to know how you reconcile multiple instructions being on a single line within the context of this statement (also on page 14 in the "Instruction List" section):

" An instruction costs one action for each --> (action) or *--> (attack action) icon preceding it. If the figure does not have enough actions remaining for an instruction, that instruction is skipped. "

Per this line you spend that --> or *--> action to activate "an instruction". If you are inclined to an interpretation that allows for multiple "instructions" per line then a single line with "Move x and attack y" would count as 2 actions, which makes no sense in the context of how the "Instruction List" rules are written. The entire line is the instruction, not just the "move" part, and stunned doesn't go away until the instruction is resolved. The Stunned rules say nothing about resolving "the move portion of a move and attack instruction", they only tell you to resolve a move instruction, which "move and attack" qualifies as. Instruction lines that have multiple things going on are superset instructions: they qualify as multiple types (it's both an attack instruction and a move instruction at the same time), but are only one instruction per RAW.

Edited by cdj0902
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Marcus2410 said:

Bleeding - I got it that the figure plays down to their last hit point but does the discarding of the bleeding condition count as an action? It doesn’t seem clear to me.

If I read the rules correctly an imperial figure would suffer up to 2 damage per activation. Is that correct?

If I attack a stormie and apply 2 damage, applying bleeding would be useless since he would shake it off immediately during his activation. Correct?

3 hours ago, Whitebubble said:

If I read the rules correctly an imperial figure would suffer up to 2 damage per activation. Is that correct?

If I attack a stormie and apply 2 damage, applying bleeding would be useless since he would shake it off immediately during his activation. Correct?

Correct on both.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:10 AM, Marcus2410 said:

Based on how the rule reads I would say it does not cost an action.

On 1/15/2018 at 4:55 AM, Whitebubble said:

The first part is correct. The second is not. From the LotA rulebook:

” Bleeding: After an Imperial figure with the Bleeding condition performs an instruction preceded by one or more {Action icons}, it suffers 1H. Then, if it has only 1 health remaining, it discards the Bleeding condition.”

Also, “If an instruction would cause a figure to be defeated before it could otherwise affect a Rebel figure , skip that instruction.“

My emphasis added in both quotes.

This means that the stormie will wait until he can take an action that affect a Rebel figure (I.e., attack it) and then take that action and then become defeated.