Help me with the inspiration boon timing!

By porkobolo, in Runewars Rules Questions

Hi guys,

i'm new to this wonderful (excluding death grasp) game. I've got a typical rule lawyering question: when can i use an ispiration boon EXACTLY?

I'll explain: an inspiration boon can be used "Before a unit reveals its command tool". Does this mean that i can use the boon RIGHT BEFORE revealing the command tool o "simply" before revealing the command tool?

I'll make an example: i got a unit with a pair of inspiration boons, let's say the typical golem LaBeouf (JUST DO IT GOLEM). Then some sneaky waiqar archer puts on my poor LaBeouf a pair of Blight banes. On that right moment a gigantic mass of protein called necroworm charges my Labeouf, which has the command tool still unrevealed (maybe he wanted to do something slow, like moving on initiative 8). Can i spend my boons to get rid of the banes before the protein monster AKA necroworm attacks (and uses it's ability to do mortal strikes with banes) or not? We are before i reveal the command tool, but not RIGHT before i reveal it.

Sorry for my poor English, thanks for the help!

Claudio.

A good question. I always played RIGHT before you reveal. However, in your example using them that way would make a huge difference. I don't know which is correct.

I also played right before you reveal. But the rules does not prevent you from spending inspiration tokens.

[13.1 A unit can spend one or more of its boons to resolve a positive effect for each boon spent. Each boon causes a unique effect, as follows:

• Inspiration: Before a unit with an inspiration token reveals its command tool, that token can be spent to remove one bane from that unit or to ready an upgrade card on that unit.]

So i guess this does imply you cant spend inspiration tokens after you reveal your command tool? So would it not be weird if you could do it before you reveal the command tool, and not after if it not used Right before you reveal the command tool? Or is it to count as a reaction and possible because that your unit haven't taken an action?

83.7 A “before” event occurs immediately before the specified event and cannot occur again for that instance of the event.

The section on timing defines these sorts of things, often in ways that are not intuitive.

37 minutes ago, Bhelliom said:

83.7 A “before” event occurs immediately before the specified event and cannot occur again for that instance of the event.

The section on timing defines these sorts of things, often in ways that are not intuitive.

So this supports the RIGHT before revealing interpretation? Too bad because inspiration would be much more powerful if you could use them anytime before revealing.

It triggers on revealing the tool.

Otherwise every single before clause would mean "do whatever you want whenever you feel like it".

If you see also the quick reference card it specifies that you spend inspiration when revealing the dial.

Porkobolo, don't give up playing this enticing game! If you let your courage fall just for a couple of blights or a slightly uncommon game effect like death grasp, you won't make a good general!! Buff up! ;) I don't know the meta where you play but in my opinion waiqar is not the REAL menace :P

4 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

3 hours ago, TheWiseGuy said:

So this supports the RIGHT before revealing interpretation? Too bad because inspiration would be much more powerful if you could use them anytime before revealing.

3 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

It triggers on revealing the tool.

Otherwise every single before clause would mean "do whatever you want whenever you feel like it".

Ending with Tvay is correct, in order to trigger the 'before' at all, you actually need to reveal the tool. So no, Golem cannot drop blights with inspiration, while being charged by a worm. It has to be doing something immediately after (something of its own volition, not dying). It is not 'while' your command tool is not revealed (see visored helms), it is 'before' you reveal your command tool.

Edited by Darthain

I think it's helpful to remember that "Reveal your dial" is one of the steps involved in actually ACTIVATING a unit. It doesn't just happen.

You say "I'm activating X unit" and at that point, once activation has begun, you reveal the dial.

Thanks, it was helpful!

@Antox717 my meta is a boring one, sadly. But filled with funny people :D

@Tvayumat thanks a lot for reporting the exact rules from the compendium, i've overseen it

On 26/11/2017 at 9:58 AM, porkobolo said:

i'm new to this wonderful (excluding death grasp) game.

I think that Death Grasp helped make this game even more wonderful! :P