RotE Combat Questions

By Spike IT, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Played my first game of Rebellion using the RotE expansion tonight and had a couple of questions about the new combat system. Hoping people here can help with answers

#1 - When does the ability to reroll dice with an assigned leader occur? Is it once per combat round (so basically I can reroll the appropriate number of dice in the space battle, then again in the ground battle, and again in subsequent rounds if the battle continues) or do I only get to reroll once in each theater during the entire battle no matter how may rounds it goes? Thinking the answer is I can reroll in ech space or ground battle, but I'm note sure.

#2 - Whendoes the ability to use lightsabers to remove damage occur? Is it when I have rolled my dice or after both players roll dice? This comes about in the first round of combat. If I roll dice first and If I don't take damage from an Advanced Tactic Card at the beginning of the combat and I throw lightsabers, are they wasted? Or do I keep track of how many and what colors I threw and after my opponent assigns damage I can then use them to remove damage?

This question came up in an attack on the Death Star. My opponent had 5 fighters (plus a couple capital ships) in an attack he launched from the Rebel Base. He hit for 4 black and 1 red damage (and had 2 black lightsabers for damage reduction) which he assigned 1 black damage each to 4 of my Tie Fighters and the red to a Star Destroyer. When I returned fire, I was able to hit with 7 damage (between hits and critical hits) on his 5 fighters. Did I destroy all his fighters (preventing a chance to blow up the Death Star) because he couldn't prevent the damage or did he have the 2 black lightsabers in reserve that he could them use to prevent some of,my damage and keep a couple of fighters alive and try to blow up my Death Star?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#1 - it is once per combat round that you can reroll according to the relevant leader's tactical value.
#2 - yes, whoever rolls first in a fight is going to lose healing results from light sabers unless they took damage from the tactical cards. Hence the card that allows you to roll last for this round and the next for this battle is useful to heal better.

In your example you destroyed all his fighters, because his lightsaber results could only remove damages done before you rolled your dice. Well done, says the Emperor.

Edited by grisix
On 26/11/2017 at 6:44 PM, grisix said:

#1 - it is once per combat round that you can reroll according to the relevant leader's tactical value.
#2 - yes, whoever rolls first in a fight is going to lose healing results from light sabers unless they took damage from the tactical cards. Hence the card that allows you to roll last for this round and the next for this battle is useful to heal better.

In your example you destroyed all his fighters, because his lightsaber results could only remove damages done before you rolled your dice. Well done, says the Emperor.

I got this expansion just now and played it yesterday. Your answear is wrong, he can save at least 2 of his fighters, since he got 2 black lightsabers for them. The 7 hits will do 2 damage to 2 fighters and the other 3 fighters will suffer 1 damage each, you can save 2 fighters between those 3 fighters, because "units are not destroyed until the end of the round of battle, a player may be able to save a unit from being destroyed by removing damage. Example: A unit that has 1 red health is dealt 1 damage. Later in the battle, a player spends 1 red lightsaber to remove 1 damage from the unit and prevent its destruction."

2 hours ago, Seabook said:

I got this expansion just now and played it yesterday. Your answear is wrong, he can save at least 2 of his fighters, since he got 2 black lightsabers for them. The 7 hits will do 2 damage to 2 fighters and the other 3 fighters will suffer 1 damage each, you can save 2 fighters between those 3 fighters, because "units are not destroyed until the end of the round of battle, a player may be able to save a unit from being destroyed by removing damage. Example: A unit that has 1 red health is dealt 1 damage. Later in the battle, a player spends 1 red lightsaber to remove 1 damage from the unit and prevent its destruction."

I may be wrong about the order, since the rebels attacked first and the lightsabers doesn't heal them on the first round? I am still trying to understand when you can heal and when you can't.