Tasks and temporary gate trip

By Krysmopompas, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hey all, might be my last question here as I sold my set of AH! But a friend has all of it anyway, so I’m sure it will come up again.

Here’s the situation: an investigator has a Task which requires them to go to (example) The Witch House. While at the Witch House , they get an encounter card that says “...move to the Plateau of Leng and have an encounter, there, then immediately return here.”

The FAQ says that for a Task stage to be advanced, they need to spend “the entirety of the encounter there”, but to me that seems geared to the encounters where you get a taxi somewhere else and stay in that place, or get booted on to the street, etc. This example above seems to be more like an oversight by FFG (keep running into them). So I’d give the player that advancement on the Task from this particular case.

Any official ruling on this anywhere?

I'd say that in order to spend an entire Encounter phase at a place you need to be there at the beginning and at the end of the Encounter phase. As long as these elements are respected (which is your case), I don't see any problem in having the Task advanced.

Hope this helps :)