has there been any hint at future expansions?

By vyrago, in Star Wars: Rebellion

core + rise of the empire is great, but I wonder if we'll see something else?

Maybe a new big box "Resistance" pitting the Resistance vs First Order?

I don't think an expansion would be able to really handle a whole new era -- I think it would require a whole new game, maybe using the basic rules of Rebellion. If anything, I think the Clone Wars would be a better starting place than the sequel trilogy... probably involving more military combat, but the same general idea of the Republic searching for the Separatist base.

The only "hint" I could see of a possible future expansion is the total exclusion of characters/art from Rebels in the RotE expansion. FFG has a ton of art for Rebels characters from their other games, and it seems strange to me none of it made it into the expansion. Especially for the Empire leaders -- why include Motti and "Krennic's Finest", instead of someone like Grand Admiral Thrawn? That leads me to think that they're saving their assets for a potential second expansion that focuses mainly on Rebels. Not to say it's a sure thing, but if they wanted to do another expansion Rebels would have them covered.

We could see Thrawn, Kallus, Pryce, and the Grand Inquisitor for the villain leaders, and there are tons of options for the heroes (Hera, Ahsoka, Ezra, and Sato are my bet). I'm not sure what new units they could (or should) add, so I think I'd rather see them introduce a new game board instead. There's lots of potential in a new gameboard... introduce some new planets, alternative travel pathways, different resource values, etc. I'd be really interested in a smaller game board that lowered the average game length to under two hours -- it could obviously be balanced with a new probe deck, a new victory tracker (the Empire has less time to find the Rebel base), and a new initial deployment (no starting Death Star!).

Like your choices for leaders. As far as new ship/soldier playing pieces I could see the Arquitens or the Quasar Fire for imperials but for the rebels? I dunno, maybe the Hammerheads. But do we want to see more playing pieces? How many can we have before the game becomes too unmanageable?

7 hours ago, phxcmd said:

But do we want to see more playing pieces? How many can we have before the game becomes too unmanageable?

This.

I do like how they integrated pieces from Rogue One with new dice. However that model is not sustainable. I'd like to think that if they did a Rebels expansion, they would only add new leaders and cards. Maybe (just maybe) they could add the AT-PT and B-Wing, but I'd prefer not. Let's see new rings for the Ghost, Chopper, and maybe some for the empire. But I digress, this game (in my opinion) is more about the strategy of leader assignment and usage than about troops and battles. Battles are the necessary result of leaders moving troops, but most of the time the Rebels would prefer to not battle.

If they did something with the new trilogy, I think it would have to be a whole new big box. There are too many planets that have been introduced already. Plus there's very little overlap in the figures (Episode VII TIE's and X-wings could be substituted with the ones we already have, but that's about it).

Edited by thestag
grammar and punctuation

I very much agree that adding new units would get unwieldy, and I don't think there are many niches left for new units to fill.

I think a sequel trilogy version of Rebellion could be a little more interesting than I originally realized. Neither the Resistance nor the First Order have a galaxy spanning Empire, but I like the idea of them both sides working against each other to chase down a single hidden object (perhaps a map to Luke Skywalker, or just Luke himself?). The core gameplay mechanics would be identical, but the location of Luke is hidden from both players so they're working against each other to find him. Would definitely be smaller/more limited in scope, but could be a fun alternative!

I really just want the Liberty model for an MC80. Not sure how they would add that into the game but it would be cool.

On 15/12/2017 at 7:20 PM, themightyhedgehog said:

I really just want the Liberty model for an MC80. Not sure how they would add that into the game but it would be cool.

Simple.

Add Mon cal as an occupiable planet with a special condition:

When under Imperial control it functions as normal, but under Rebel control it can produce 1 MC 80 ship rather than use its resource value every 2 turns if there's not one still on the gameboard.

Just a thought ;)

On 11/25/2017 at 9:13 PM, sionnach19 said:

The only "hint" I could see of a possible future expansion is the total exclusion of characters/art from Rebels in the RotE expansion. FFG has a ton of art for Rebels characters from their other games, and it seems strange to me none of it made it into the expansion. Especially for the Empire leaders -- why include Motti and "Krennic's Finest", instead of someone like Grand Admiral Thrawn? That leads me to think that they're saving their assets for a potential second expansion that focuses mainly on Rebels. Not to say it's a sure thing, but if they wanted to do another expansion Rebels would have them covered.

I'd be all for that.

I wonder, however, what demographic they think is playing this game, and if they deem that demographic to not consider Rebels too childish. (I'm an old(er) fart, and I love it, but I find that the 20-somethings are not as big a fans of Rebels as I am.)

On 2017. 12. 15. at 8:20 PM, themightyhedgehog said:

Me too.

And the Juggernaut/Turbo tank for the imperials.

Maybe a pack of new minis that are merely cosmetic. So you can have MC 80 home one and Libertys but they roll the same

On 1/19/2018 at 6:00 AM, Jabby said:

Maybe a pack of new minis that are merely cosmetic. So you can have MC 80 home one and Libertys but they roll the same

Some other ideas for this:

Echo Base troopers for rebel troopers
Wookies for rebel troopers

Snow troopers for storm troopers
Desert troopers for storm troopers

Mounted Dewback troopers for AT-ST's
AT-DP's for AT-ST's

Raiders for Assault Carriers
Arquitens Cruisers for Assault Carriers

Hammerheads for Corvettes
Pelta Class (Phoenix Home) for Corvettes

Edited by thestag
On 1/19/2018 at 9:00 AM, Jabby said:

Further Ideas:

Interceptors for Fighters

A-wings for x-wings

B-wings for Y-wings

I would love this.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:58 AM, thestag said:

Hammerheads for Corvettes
Pelta Class (Phoenix Home) for Corvettes

I would also love the Hammerheads! Not a fan of the peltas though.

Great idea for the Rebels expansion! Obviously new cards and heroes is the easy part with tons to draw upon. For units it would be nice if they kept it kind of simple and simply added two hero units to each side. Lamda Shuttle (allows you to turn one die to any side) + TIE Defender (red, green and black die)

versus Ghost (allows you to spawn a Rebel trooper each planet that it travels too and thus encouraging Rebels to actually move their forces around) and the Falcon (red, green and black die)

Kinda disappointed to not see any new Rebellion stuff announced on May 4th this year.

I too was hoping for some Rebels stuff.

Just my two cents right now:

Rebel Leaders: Hera, Ahsoka, Sato, Bail Organa

Imperial Leaders: Grand Inquisitor. Kallus, Pryce, Thrawn

Rebel Units:

Ground Unit- Wookies- one health, black defense, red attack

Structure: Cantina- Allows Rebels to draw from "Scum Deck" (Scum deck includes special missions that let the Rebels play a little dirtier).

Fighter: B-Wing- 1 red health, one red attack

Space Station: Sensors- If the Rebel base is located on this planet, Rapid Mobilization may be used immediately after a combat in this system instead at the end of the round.

Imperial Units:

Ground Unit: AT-DP- Like AT-ST, but rolls 2 black instead of BR

Structure: Communications Tower- Can call in allied units to this system during a combat

Fighter: TIE Defender- Like TIE, but with Red attack instead

Space Station: Shipyard- Build above a planet with a Blue triangle. During production, this planet may produce one extra starfighter for each blue triangle. TIE Defenders may be produced from this system.

Rebel Mission Ideas:

World Between Worlds- Attempt on any Imperial system- if successful, rescue any captured or converted rebel leader and bring them to this system

Fulcrum- Attempt against an Imperial leader- if successful, attach the Fulcrum ring to them- while they have the Fulcrum ring, they are a Rebel Leader.

Imperial Mission Ideas:

Archaeological Dig- Attempt on any uninhabited planet. If successful, you may draw one project card of your choice from project deck.\

Anyway, just some random thoughts for now.

Hope to see new content for this soon!

Well, if you wanted to do the 'Rebels' line:

• agreed Price, Thrawn, Kallus, are obvious roving imperials, and Ahsoka, Sato, and either maybe Senator Organa? That gives you a nice triumvirate of Soldier, Politician, Spy for each faction.
  • A game without the Death Star would be an interesting variation. The TIE Defender factories essentially reverses the classic setup - the Empire has the fixed critical position (albeit not necessarily hidden) which the R e bels have to attack and destroy to win.
  • Definitely add in the TIE defender - but don't make it a purchasable unit, so much as a mission/project that provides you with X defender prototypes on completion. If it's not added to the standard game, you can afford to make the defenders suitably scary.

I agree with others that a Rebels expansion would be great.

I think that an expansion should involve a new game board with more planets. BUT , would that lengthen this already long game? I think it'd be worth it, but I'll confess to already having trouble finding the time to play this game. ?

Maybe a pack of new minis that are merely cosmetic. So you can have MC 80 home one and Libertys but they roll the same.

Why bother with FFG - Shapeways would be the way to go for that. Now just get Mel Miniatures to do it.

On 5/30/2018 at 6:37 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

• A game without the Death Star would be an interesting variation. The TIE Defender factories essentially reverses the classic setup - the Empire has the fixed critical position (albeit not necessarily hidden) which the R e bels have to attack and destroy to win.

Now THAT would be interesting- both sides having a hidden base.

I am pretty sure that the Rebels-expansion will come. The title could be something like "Dawn of the Rebellion". Actually this would offer the opportunity to have a second, different scenario on the same map - this time the rise of the Rebellion up to the climax of the Rebels-series. (perhaps with the possibility to continue the game with the "normal" scenario to have a mini-campaign).

Rebel Leaders: Crew of the Ghost #1-3 (in pairs of two), Sato

Imperial Leaders: Grand Inquisitor, Kallus, Thrawn, Order of Inquisitors

Rebel Units:

Mandalorians?

B-Wings and A-Wings

Stolen Imperial Carrier? Or other special units like the Ghost?

Imperial Units:

AT-DP

TIE Defenders???

Imperial Cruisers

Rebel Mission Ideas: Build the rebellion: Missions to get leaders, the ability to build ships ("Steal Y-Wings", etc.)

Just some ideas... but a second expansion should be a no-brainer.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:49 PM, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I agree with others that a Rebels expansion would be great.

I think that an expansion should involve a new game board with more planets. BUT , would that lengthen this already long game? I think it'd be worth it, but I'll confess to already having trouble finding the time to play this game. ?

Alternately, an expansion/modification of the game with a new game board limiting the action to a single system of planets for faster play, with each planet broken down into sub-sections. Use some smaller subset of the game pieces to keep things reasonable, but keep the core gameplay mechanics.

6 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Alternately, an expansion/modification of the game with a new game board limiting the action to a single system of planets for faster play, with each planet broken down into sub-sections. Use some smaller subs  et of the game pieces to keep things reasonable, but keep the core gameplay mechanics.

Oh! That's a great idea. Perhaps just space around Lothal, Mandalore, and Mon Calamari, for example.

yes....something new would be fun!

On 8/29/2018 at 4:21 AM, wintermoonwolf said:

yes....something new would be fun!

Fun, yes.

Necessary, I don't think so. I think that the Rise of the Empire expansion really filled the game out and gave us a lot to work with to keep the game variable enough.

I guess it depends on how much you play, and how much you need variation to keep the game from feeling stale to you. It certainly does not feel stale to me at this stage.

I’ve been hoping for a species pack that had special units like quarren, Wookiee, sullustans, mustafarans. They could add tactic cards that only worked with certain species such a tactic card like “shrug it off” for the Wookiee or something. If a planet is loyal to you (not if their subjagated) you can train the species on that planet.

Edited by TheSoberPug

ja!....more More MORE!....want more to play!