Divination Ritual - printing error?

By Viperion_NZ, in Rules Questions

(Opportunity) : If you fail, you see an additional omen beyond the first. Choose one of
the above omens in addition to the one the GM chose.

This means if you succeed, you get a "bonus" (Opportunity) and (Strife) on the next roll in skill group of your choice.

If you fail but get an opportunity (which is all but guaranteed, since you're not keeping success results), you still get this bonus just like you succeeded (as well as for another category chosen by the GM). Is this as intended?

Anyone?

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, Viperion_NZ said:

This means if you succeed, you get a "bonus" (Opportunity) and (Strife) on the next roll in skill group of your choice.

If you fail but get an opportunity (which is all but guaranteed, since you're not keeping success results), you still get this bonus just like you succeeded (as well as for another category chosen by the GM). Is this as intended?

It does look like a bit of an error.

Succeed: Get an omen of your choice.

Fail: Get an omen of the GM's choice

Fail/Opportunity: Get an omen of the GM's choice and an omen of your choice - so essentially, you succeed, but still get the 'penalty' omen.

If the 'consequence' omens were worse, it might make more sense.

I'll be honest, the first time I read the ritual I must have skimmed it, because I thought the way it worked was different:

Succeed: Get an omen of your choice.

Fail: Get nothing

Fail/Opportunity: Get an omen other than the omen you originally wanted.

Which still makes more sense to me that the setup as it currently is.

I think it was intentional, so you can "save" even if you fail.

1 hour ago, AtoMaki said:

The funniest part being that you can purposefully fail... (if you have an opportunity, it's the best choice)

2 hours ago, AtoMaki said:

Agreed, but the issue is that the results for failing with an opportunity are arguably better than that for success; you get two omens, at least one of which is the one you would have selected if you'd succeeded.

Opportunities, as I understand them, should either be:

• A 'good thing' which is unrelated to the original success or failure criteria
    • I failed the Fitness (Earth) test to make the forced march without having to pause.....but whilst we were resting I noticed the enemy scouts tailing us; once I've had my rest, let's go kill them.
  • A 'commiseration prize' which isn't as good as the intended effect
    • I failed by Strike action check targeting Akodo Nobunaga, but I did knock his sword to one side and create an opening - Get 'im, Jim-Bob!
  • Super-duper-extra-bonus-success
    • I not only hit him, I delivered a crippling wound that's now bleeding profusely and then resheathed my sword in one swift motion because it makes me look awesome

Where I think there's a problem is if the reward is better than succeeding normally.

I know that the opportunity price changes - for example, assisting an ally with opportunities costs * on a failed check and ** on a successful one. But you could generally have assisted automatically with no check required if that was all you wanted to do; these are, once again, either a consolation prize