--Music: Aggressive Shrieker [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 45

Berserkers x6 [37]
--Champion: Bloodfire Witch [5]
--Heraldry: Warsprinter [3]
--Music: Aggressive Shrieker [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 50

10 points to left for whatever

Use the witches to maximize unstable runes. Potential 2 flips in a turn should help

Ravos doesn’t gain a lot. Flesh Rippers gain a little in a weird way. They could conceivably do 1 bank left, shift 1 left, and another 1 straight to get some flexibility in positioning. My big win here is a Speed 8 run across the board to flanks or a Speed 6 charge on turn 1.

The berserkers are the fun. Potentially they have:

-Speed 5+ charge at init3, init4, init6, and init7

-Speed 6+ charge at init4, init6

-Speed 7+ charge at init6

-The chance to do a reform and speed 4 charge at init3!

-The capacity to perform an attack, kill a blocker, and then speed 4 charge something at init4 in a way that can’t be stopped by immobilize. Should be fun to hunt archers.

All based on figure upgrades, so they can be sniped.

Anyone else pondering the super aggresive strategies?

Edited by Church14

Blast! You beat me to it! I was just about to post that Berserkers unit build. Actually, I did it a bit differently. Yours is the core of the unit, but you can go bigger if you've got the points to spend.

Berserkers - 3x3 (50)
-Bloodfire Witch (5)
-Aggressive Shrieker (5)
-Warsprinter (3)
-Frontline Spined Thresher (7)
-Serrated Spines (4) [optional]

The big difference here is adding Brutal 1 from the Frontline Spined Thresher upgrade. Granted, that's a huge points increase just to add brutal 1, but you're also getting a 50% increase to the unit's health. I think it's worth it in some builds.

What I like about your build, though, is that you have 2 Berserkers units with Aggressive Shrieker, but they both gain the benefit of Bloodfire Witch. I also love how everything is moving forward constantly. It looks like it will play completely differently from the panic builds. It's nice to see different archetypes appearing in this army. Great game design!

I know it's way premature but i love a kethra build... im laying in bed about to go to sleep so dont have exact names and numbers but...

Kethra w/ bonecaster and dragonjaw

Flesh rippers x9 w/ dead sprint (ravos if thats possible, see my post asking about that in rules reference section) and moi

Berserkers x6 w/ dispatch runner, warsprinter, rallying shrieker (skill removes a bane from an ally), and shield wall (shield wall (200) could be traded for tempered (198) or mcw (199), or left out for 195 point total)

At init 5, you can move 2 forward with their "passive", move 4 with the unstable and dial in speed 2. Moving you 8 at init 5. Getting you close to your enemy so kethra can light you up and kill those around you. If you have ravos in that unit as well, rolling double hit on a white for kethra kills a flesh ripper but then is dealing 3 wounds to those around it.

Berserkers can help flesh rippers rally and move or shift and move. They also can dispatch runner and let the flesh ripper attack again, then the berseker can rally shrieker the stun away

Once you get to a point where the Flesh Rippers are your main damage dealers, I feel like Feeding Frenzy becomes the better choice. Especially with Kethra bombing the engaged units. Dispatch runner also helps with that

Ravos is is a champion upgrade for siege units. He would not go in Flesh Rippers. He would go in Spined Threshers

2 hours ago, Church14 said:

Once you get to a point where the Flesh Rippers are your main damage dealers, I feel like Feeding Frenzy becomes the better choice. Especially with Kethra bombing the engaged units. Dispatch runner also helps with that

Ravos is is a champion upgrade for siege units. He would not go in Flesh Rippers. He would go in Spined Threshers

Can he go in berserkers?

I was thinking with that Ravos unique it will be hilarious to draw betrayal, betrayal yourself (if able, it has a fizzle iirc), do get them to do it twice, then damage them for 3. My, the carnage.

Comparatively speaking... I really feel like Dead Sprint is hands down universally superior to Feeding Frenzy.

Feeding Frenzy is more expensive, more restrictive, FAR more niche, and has a really weak payoff. First, you have to get engaged. Not that tough I suppose. Once you're there, you only start to see ANY benefit at all once you've eliminated three trays. Don't disengage! You need to be engaged for each and every one!

Once you've killed three trays you get... Lethal 1. Really? Six trays gets you Lethal 2... nine gets you Lethal 3.... this seems like it has to be a joke. It's awful.

Don't get me wrong. Lethal is great. I love Lethal, but this is a HUGE price to pay for extremely limited amounts of it.

Alternatively, you can pay fewer points for an upgrade that isn't as dependent on your opponent throwing away multiples of three trays of units on a regular basis, and makes your bonecats much more effective by making them either faster or more maneuverable as-needed.

Feeding Frenzy would be one thing of Dead Sprint didn't exist, but it does, and it's essentially superior in every conceivable way, IMO.

I can see no reason to EVER take Feeding Frenzy over Dead Sprint. YMMV.

Edited by Tvayumat
9 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Unfortunately, I think you're right. The only situation where Feeding Frenzy is better is if you plan for your Flesh Rippers to be engaged the entire game: if they never get their first movement, then Dead Sprint is a waste. Now, that's obviously never the case, because you can't start off engaged with an enemy. So for the first one-two rounds, you're getting something out of Dead Sprint. Even if you defeat a unit (which you're hopefully doing if you have Feeding Frenzy), you still must maneuver to engage the next unit, so Dead Sprint helps there, too. This is in addition to the obviously mild benefit of Feeding Frenzy that you so accurately described.

I suppose another way to capitalize on Feeding Frenzy is to have multiple units of Flesh Rippers engaged with a single target. 3 trays gone - bam! Lethal 1 for everybody. Even then, it seems to be playing the long game in a game that only has 8 rounds.

I'm guessing it may be good against Waiqar reanimates and Maro powering them up; they keep coming, you keep knocking them down.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:49 AM, Curlycross said:

I'm guessing it may be good against Waiqar reanimates and Maro powering them up; they keep coming, you keep knocking them down.

I feel like it's even WORSE against Waiqar reanimates. They'll be swinging back with two red, which will kill the cats FAST, and if they're running Lingering Dead they will be denying you any tray removal until the end phase, assuming they don't regenerate.

9 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

I feel like it's even WORSE against Waiqar reanimates. They'll be swinging back with two red, which will kill the cats FAST, and if they're running Lingering Dead they will be denying you any tray removal until the end phase, assuming they don't regenerate.

Lingering Dead is the reason I started running Mistlands Saboteur in my Waiqar army, and Rank Discipline is the reason I still do. Too bad Uthuk don't have anything like that... :D .

9 Trays (50)

Champion: Cacaphony Reaver (6)

Equipment: Serrated Spines (4)

Heraldry: Warsprinter (3)

Music: Aggresive Shrieker (5)

Heavy: Frontline Spined Thresher (7)

With perfect runes and a lucky top morale card, charges forward 7 straight on init6. 4 threat, Lethal 7. Two full rerolls and one additional die rerolled. Max damage, 19? On turn 2, max damage 23 at init4. Might be effective to strip out a lot of figures unanswered early game.

OR

Strip out the long charge and the auto charge and bring a 38 point wow that can conceivably hit lethal 7.

Edited by Church14
On 11/23/2017 at 2:28 PM, Tvayumat said:

I agree with this as well. The other thing that's unfortunate about it is that the unit could maybe stay alive and kill more things longer if it was a bigger unit, but then lethal doesn't scale up so it's not like you'd ever really feel a large impact if you ran 6-tray feeding frenzy rippers. I feel like this card would have to scale up more quickly than 1 lethal/3 trays to be any good at all. If the card ever did really get ramped up, then the game is pretty much over by then and you likely already won or lost.

That said, I'm still gonna try it once the upgrade actually comes out (I don't really ever proxy just so that I can get familiar with things in more depth as they come out) and then probably come to this conclusion again.

42 minutes ago, Willange said:

I agree with this as well. The other thing that's unfortunate about it is that the unit could maybe stay alive and kill more things longer if it was a bigger unit, but then lethal doesn't scale up so it's not like you'd ever really feel a large impact if you ran 6-tray feeding frenzy rippers. I feel like this card would have to scale up more quickly than 1 lethal/3 trays to be any good at all. If the card ever did really get ramped up, then the game is pretty much over by then and you likely already won or lost.

That said, I'm still gonna try it once the upgrade actually comes out (I don't really ever proxy just so that I can get familiar with things in more depth as they come out) and then probably come to this conclusion again.

I’ve been considering a 9tray Ripper unit with File Leader and Feeding Frenzy and backed by a dispatch runner Berserker unit. When Kethra arrives, use her too. Basically, turn it into a mosh pit of damage. The ripper unit should realistically end the game with Lethal 3 or 4 if I get them to be the focus. Lethal three doesn’t sound like much until you attack twice or more a turn. It will add up, though not sure how much

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

I’ve been considering a 9tray Ripper unit with File Leader and Feeding Frenzy and backed by a dispatch runner Berserker unit. When Kethra arrives, use her too. Basically, turn it into a mosh pit of damage. The ripper unit should realistically end the game with Lethal 3 or 4 if I get them to be the focus. Lethal three doesn’t sound like much until you attack twice or more a turn. It will add up, though not sure how much

Lethal 3 is great.

Problem is, you won't have it until its way too late to be helpful.

6 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

Lethal 3 is great.

Problem is, you won't have it until its way too late to be helpful.

I just had a game where file leader on a cav star and Hawthorne counter charging killed 6 Reanimate trays in contact with that cavStar between initiative 7 on turn 2 and initiative 3 on turn 3. Seems quite plausible to get Lethal 3 by turn 3-4

4 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I just had a game where file leader on a cav star and Hawthorne counter charging killed 6 Reanimate trays in contact with that cavStar between initiative 7 on turn 2 and initiative 3 on turn 3. Seems quite plausible to get Lethal 3 by turn 3-4

Thing is... It's not that it's impossible, it's that it's wholly unlikely, particularly if your opponent runs a list with fewer trays and more upgrades.

How good Feeding Frenzy is is directly proportional to how many trays of infantry or weak cavalry your opponent brings, and whether or not you can engage them with one specific unit before you start hurting them.

How good Dead Sprint is is... well... It's always good. It makes Flesh Rippers categorically better at doing their job. It makes them faster, more maneuverable, and less predictable regardless of what anyone does. That's the opportunity cost you pay to bring FF, along with one more point of cost.

That's my problem. I pass on feeding frenzy.

People are welcome to prove me wrong. I'd love to be wrong in this case.

Edited by Tvayumat

I’ve got one game in against Uthuk with no upgrades and at 100 points. I’ll need to get back to you on that one after I get my own stuff tonight and try it tomorrow

Even one game with no upgrades showed that small units of Flesh Rippers struggle against high armor and Ravos is terrifying.

Edited by Church14

Yeah, my first game was a 200 point game and actually the flesh rippers did well. It was a 2x2 of flesh rippers against a 3x3 of reanimates and the flesh rippers took out about 4 trays of reanimates on their own before being taken out. Not a bad ROI. My FRs only had the reroll upgrade (can't think of name).

Ravos is a monster. With his upgrade he ended my game with full health. (healing self).

I too want to run a 9 block of Flesh Rippers with Kethra hitting them to kill those around them. I also though Feeding Frenzy would work great on this because if he's engaged with something and it dies because of Kethra's ability that's helpful for me.

I tried Feeding Frenzy on a 2x2 last night. I ended the game with Lethal 2 and just short of Lethal 3. It is not bad, but not amazing. It helped to kill an extra tray of Oathsworn over turns 7-8

I also tried the 2 3x2 trays of Berserkers with Warpsrinter, Aggressive Shrieker, and one with Bloodfire Witch. The ability to reform and charge at initiative three was giving fits even to the Latari. Both formations rushed forward 7 on turn 1, then did reform+skill to make sideways charges at flanks on turn 2. It completely caught my opponent flat footed. I still lost because of poor play with Ravos and screwing myself out of a flank bonus when terrain didn’t allow me to square up, but the raw speed warsprinter gives is disarming.